I've never uttered these words in my life... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I've never uttered these words in my life...

it will take a miracle for this team to make the ncaa's, unless all the other teams are so bad that we can sneak in. this team is worse than the Nichols-Roberts-Watkins years we were subjected to. gbinije/cooney/coleman versus Nichols/Roberts/Watkins, who ya got?

it will take a miracle for this team to make the ncaa's, unless all the other teams are so bad that we can sneak in. this team is worse than the Nichols-Roberts-Watkins years we were subjected to. gbinije/cooney/coleman versus Nichols/Roberts/Watkins, who ya got?

The latter, Roberts and Watkins would destroy Coleman who my possibly be worse and making a layup than BMK.

The latter, Roberts and Watkins would destroy Coleman who my possibly be worse and making a layup than BMK.

Coleman did show something early in today's game. But unfortunately, like usual it wasn't much and that was it for the game.

But I don't have a choice this year... Go UConn. We desperately, I mean desperately need them and A&M to put together strong seasons.

Let's be realistic, "par" for the ACC season is probably .500. That puts us squarely on the bubble, if not just outside it. We just can't afford for either of our two big wins to become mediocre.

All I care about is getting to the tournament. The comparative Cuse vs. UConn obsession can take a back seat for me this year.

This is like Breaking Bad. We are Walt, and UConn is Tuco's uncle. They are our ally, by necessity.

Let's do something really weird for us in recent years and actually get better over the course of the season. If we do that, everything will take care of itself.

Since I started this thread, St. Johns lost to Incarnate Word and Georgetown lost to Monmouth and UNC-Asheville.

The idea that 10 conference wins guarantees a tourney bid for us is completely unrealistic. Our RPI right now is 78 -- we have major work to do.
Considering the relative difficulty of SU's draw within the ACC's unbalanced schedule, 10 wins in conference will likely be enough to get them in.

A counter to rooting for UConn can be the competition theory. UConn could be competition against us for one of the last remaining at large selections.

Besides I find it easier to hope that Lehigh, St Bonas, Colgate, and Cornell go on to shine.

UConn could be competition against us for one of the last remaining at large selections.

In which case, beating them on a neutral floor would certainly work to our advantage.

Two with BC should help...

Losing to the Johnnies is bad, letting them dominate the game for 40 minutes is really bad.

At this point splitting with BC I'd be thankful for.

I hold out hope for 20 wins after the FSU game in March...if not, I suspect we'll be headed to the NIT. The selection committee and how they look at SU is TBD (during Jim's absence) to the makeup of the panel. Unfortunately this team has little depth up front and to expect more than 1 win in the NCAA is folly.

Life goes on...I expect Jim will do everything possible to leave the program in good shape for Hops.

You would think 2012-2013 would of taught people to not give up on seasons, but i guess not.

You would think 2012-2013 would of taught people to not give up on seasons, but i guess not.
2013 we had killed teams in the non-conference and had MCW/Triche/Fair/Southerland and Rak/Keita for D.

This team has G and Lydon who can score and Cooney/Richardson streaky, Roberson/Coleman aren't good D players.

This team just making the tournament would be good enough. I don't want to bore you with PERs but 2 of the 5 starters have really poor PERs and Roberson is slightly above average.

2013 we had killed teams in the non-conference and had MCW/Triche/Fair/Southerland and Rak/Keita for D.

This team has G and Lydon who can score and Cooney/Richardson streaky, Roberson/Coleman aren't good D players.

This team just making the tournament would be good enough. I don't want to bore you with PERs but 2 of the 5 starters have really poor PERs and Roberson is slightly above average.

I'm aware of the advanced metrics. I know that team was good on D. That team could NOT shoot. We shot 33% from three for the season, and that was with Southerland shooting 40%.

As bad as we have shot in some games so far this year, that team was worse. MCW and Triche were both sub 30% from three for the season (worse than Cooney), and nobody thought we were getting out of the first round after we scored 39 against Georgetown.

We also already have better wins through this portion of the season, than we did in 2012-2013. We've played 5 power conference teams so far this year. In 2012 we played San Diego St and Arkansas and won, and lost to Temple at MSG. It was cupcake city that year in the non-conference compared to this year.

Last edited:
Trying to play in our old conference plus playing in our new conference is needlessly ambitious. If we insist on walking down memory lane then we need to drop these preseason tournaments that we tend to win.

The bubble sucks. If we go 10-3 and 9-9 we will need a couple of NCAA tournament level team wins in the regular season.

If we go 10-8 we would get in with 1 ACC T win.

No need to root for UConn. It honestly shouldn't even be considered right now. We control our own destiny.
Nailed it. Treat each game as a must win. Play one game at a time, and try to win a few big ones in the ACC. Control home court as best as we possibly can, and that's all we can do. Sign me up for anywhere in the 8-10 seed range. I'll take it.

I never want to think about that St. John's game again. They are horrible and looked like a sweet 16 team against us. Ugh, makes me sick.

Nailed it. Treat each game as a must win. Play one game at a time, and try to win a few big ones in the ACC. Control home court as best as we possibly can, and that's all we can do. Sign me up for anywhere in the 8-10 seed range. I'll take it.

In 2007, we won 10 games in the conference, including a showcase Top 10 win vs. Georgetown, and finished strong down the stretch, including a win in the Big East tourney. And we got left out because our non-conference resume and RPI sucked.

We need UConn and A&M to have strong seasons.

In 2007, we won 10 games in the conference, including a showcase Top 10 win vs. Georgetown, and finished strong down the stretch, including a win in the Big East tourney. And we got left out because our non-conference resume and RPI sucked.

We need UConn and A&M to have strong seasons.
2007 there were 34 at-large spots.
2015 there are 37 at-large spots.

Rooting for UConn is what mid-majors would do. If you want to go ahead but advocating for it makes no sense.
F them I hope they lose every game and we win 10 conference games and 1-2 ACCT games. Our OOC schedule is a lot tougher this year than it was in 2007.

UConn could go undefeated the rest of the reason and I doubt the committee will say geez guys Syracuse beat them in November so they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Syracuse fans need to root for Syracuse to win games NOT for UConn to win games.

Rooting for UConn is what mid-majors would do. If you want to go ahead but advocating for it makes no sense.
F them I hope they lose every game and we win 10 conference games and 1-2 ACCT games. Our OOC schedule is a lot tougher this year than it was in 2007.

UConn could go undefeated the rest of the reason and I doubt the committee will say geez guys Syracuse beat them in November so they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Syracuse fans need to root for Syracuse to win games NOT for UConn to win games.

-Rooting for your non-conference opponents to do well to improve your RPI/SOS isn't what mid-majors do, it's what every college basketball fan has done every season since the beginning of time.
-We don't have to choose between Syracuse OR UConn winning games -- a pragmatic person would do both.

You guys should try not being emotional about UConn and their fans anymore. It's very liberating. Whether they win 0 games this year or win their 5th national title, it doesn't matter. All that matters is SU gets to the tourney.

I tend to agree. I'm worried enough if we'll be able to take care of enough business in the ACC that it will even matter. It's bad enough having to worry about all the favorites winning the conference tournaments if we end up on the bubble without worrying about cheering for other teams now.

-Rooting for your non-conference opponents to do well to improve your RPI/SOS isn't what mid-majors do, it's what every college basketball fan has done every season since the beginning of time.
-We don't have to choose between Syracuse OR UConn winning games -- a pragmatic person would do both.

You guys should try not being emotional about UConn and their fans anymore. It's very liberating. Whether they win 0 games this year or win their 5th national title, it doesn't matter. All that matters is SU gets to the tourney.
Your opinion is your opinion. My opinion is my opinion. I am not going to root for UConn to do well. Making that post and expecting Syracuse fans to agree is just not something people will agree with. Georgetown fans will not root for us to do well. If Syracuse wins games we are fine. A win over UConn means nothing. If Syracuse wins game they will be in end of message.

If we are one of the top 37 at-large teams it won't be because we beat UConn. It will be because Syracuse had a good year.

Texas A&M killed Baylor on Saturday. They prob will be top 3 in the SEC. That'll end up being a pretty good win by seasons end.

Texas A&M killed Baylor on Saturday. They prob will be top 3 in the SEC. That'll end up being a pretty good win by seasons end.
I am sure A&M is rooting for Texas to do well. Since you know they beat them in Atlantis. Rivalry be damned root for a program you don't like because it is pragmatic. When Texas beat UNC I am sure A&M fans celebrated with them.

I am sure A&M is rooting for Texas to do well. Since you know they beat them in Atlantis. Rivalry be damned root for a program you don't like because it is pragmatic. When Texas beat UNC I am sure A&M fans celebrated with them.

LOL, I'll never root for UCONN. The snobby people in my family went there! It made for a great Thanksgiving this year!

A win over UConn means nothing.

Of course it means something. It's a regular season game and part of our overall tourney resume.