Jacobian Morgan - He Who Was Promised | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Jacobian Morgan - He Who Was Promised

Do people accept these kinds of failures and excuses at your place of employment? There were other players available but they need to hear that they can take the job if their play merits, which I'm pretty sure it's made clear to them that isn't the case. They would be just a backup in case of injury. No real player is going to come in that situation.
You're "pretty sure" it's "made clear" to recent QB recruits that they will never be more than a back up here regardless of how well they play? What makes you "pretty sure" that's what's going on? I mean besides the "proof is in the pudding" reason you gave above.
Unless your pudding is talking to you again. In which case, just keep reminding yourself those voices are not real.

He was a good runner. Different in style from Dungey, but very effective. Didn't have the missibility of Eric but had a knack for finding holes.

Yes, and he was strong. He seemed to usually get a couple more yards than it looked like he should.

You're "pretty sure" it's "made clear" to recent QB recruits that they will never be more than a back up here regardless of how well they play? What makes you "pretty sure" that's what's going on? I mean besides the "proof is in the pudding" reason you gave above.
Unless your pudding is talking to you again. In which case, just keep reminding yourself those voices are not real.
There is no legitimate other QB on the team and your giving me heat about my speculations. Rex should be the last resort in lieu of a walk on. It is a complete failure for a head coach to not have 2 or even 3 viable options at QB. JUCO, transfers, whatever. Why aren't they here? Excuses, excuses, excuses.

There is no legitimate other QB on the team and your giving me heat about my speculations. Rex should be the last resort in lieu of a walk on. It is a complete failure for a head coach to not have 2 or even 3 viable options at QB. JUCO, transfers, whatever. Why aren't they here? Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Let's be crystal clear here, Strawman. The lack of a viable backup QB is a legitimate issue. There is no excuse for that. What you are getting "heat" for is making ridiculous assertions as facts (as is your MO) - stuff like you are pretty sure that DB is telling QB recruits they will never be more than a backup here regardless of how good they are.

You are a pot-stirrer who loves to bait posters into inane debates. You deserve whatever "heat" you get.

Could not agree more. You would expect this type of problem maybe with a Juco team. Unacceptable - for the program to have to take the current direction by any measure. Reduce the playbook and give the young quarterbacks some time under center. Don’t stall the process of looking ahead and digging out of this debacle.

So if we had a frosh named Joe Montana we shouldn't play him because he might get hurt? Or Lew Alcindor, or Gary Gait? Morgan has to play or ill read about the game after its over. Dino has lost me. The running up the gut on first and second (especially in the red zone) down is mind boggling. Walking out of the stadium after beating W Va. seems like it must have been dream. But the reality is this team is no better than the day Grob got fired. We stink that bad. In Dino we trust!!!!!
Ben Schwartzwalder game-planned better. Was better prepared. So were his athletes.

Let's be crystal clear here, Strawman. The lack of a viable backup QB is a legitimate issue. There is no excuse for that. What you are getting "heat" for is making ridiculous assertions as facts (as is your MO) - stuff like you are pretty sure that DB is telling QB recruits they will never be more than a backup here regardless of how good they are.

You are a pot-stirrer who loves to bait posters into inane debates. You deserve whatever "heat" you get.
This coach then sends out one of his frosh QB's who responds and accomplishes everything that could have been asked of him and looks like maybe he could be a piece of the team. And what did the coach do, he goes to the press conference and throws cold water on him. Here's another folk saying like the proof is in the pudding: If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has webbed feet, it's most likely a duck.

This coach then sends out one of his frosh QB's who responds and accomplishes everything that could have been asked of him and looks like maybe he could be a piece of the team. And what did the coach do, he goes to the press conference and throws cold water on him. Here's another folk saying like the proof is in the pudding: If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has webbed feet, it's most likely a duck.
Fine, Dino mishandled the press conference. Very few losing coaches say much of value in a press conference. The cold water was for the fans, and not what he will be telling Morgan.
Might be better to pause and see what Dino actually does this week in the process of developing Morgan. Dino and Gilbert have to know the young QB did well in his one series, so what is the next step?

Fine, Dino mishandled the press conference. Very few losing coaches say much of value in a press conference. The cold water was for the fans, and not what he will be telling Morgan.
Might be better to pause and see what Dino actually does this week in the process of developing Morgan. Dino and Gilbert have to know the young QB did well in his one series, so what is the next step?

The next step is to give him 50% of the snaps in practice this week and then start him on Saturday. There is absolutely no downside to this approach. After a 7-for-7 & 1 TD first outing, he's not going to go hang himself in his dorm room if he throws a pick or two. And, there is nowhere to go but up for the team.

The next step is to give him 50% of the snaps in practice this week and then start him on Saturday. There is absolutely no downside to this approach. After a 7-for-7 & 1 TD first outing, he's not going to go hang himself in his dorm room if he throws a pick or two. And, there is nowhere to go but up for the team.
Well, it is unlikely Dino starts Morgan. Probably he will be accelerating his development during the week and giving him more opportunities in games. People might want a full change, but I expect it will be a measured process, game by game.
Other steps to watch — development of Lutz, Courtney Jackson, Dakota working his way back, other true frosh getting into the mix in mop up time.

There is down side to that approach. First, the team might think Dino has given up on them this year, particularly the upperclassman (they have to make decsions to come back next year or transfer somewhere else), secondly, Jacobian can really struggle or get hurt with a sub par offensive line. Morgan is not ready to make 2nd and 3rd reads in the offense. He is not ready to check to particular plays based on what he is seeing from the defense. Potentially you can destroy his confidence early in his career. Spoon feeding will be the ideal approach.

Yes, but we will never know unless they are given a chance. At 1-6 we are already looking to next season. What possible payoff is there to continue as is.

This I agree with. At least give him SOME runs.

There is down side to that approach. First, the team might think Dino has given up on them this year, particularly the upperclassman (they have to make decsions to come back next year or transfer somewhere else), secondly, Jacobian can really struggle or get hurt with a sub par offensive line. Morgan is not ready to make 2nd and 3rd reads in the offense. He is not ready to check to particular plays based on what he is seeing from the defense. Potentially you can destroy his confidence early in his career. Spoon feeding will be the ideal approach.
Yeah, I'm in the camp that says the smart thing is to start Rex, and have a couple of very deliberately scripted series teed up that Morgan has focused on and can run in addition to whatever else he has already picked up. Gradually give him more and more. But that all absolutely needs to be reflected both in snap count and which point of the game he makes his appearances, ie, not just garbage time.

If we can work Tex in a little too, all the better.

Yeah, I'm in the camp that says the smart thing is to start Rex, and have a couple of very deliberately scripted series teed up that Morgan has focused on and can run in addition to whatever else he has already picked up. Gradually give him more and more. But that all absolutely needs to be reflected both in snap count and which point of the game he makes his appearances, ie, not just garbage time.

If we can work Tex in a little too, all the better.
Agree.

Agree.
One more thing I'd add.

I used to love when DeVito would come in to spell Dungey, one of his first pass attempts, it not the very first, was far downfield. Now granted, that's a throw he can make, but I have to believe that threat helped make the short passing game easier, because the defense knew they couldn't just sit on everything short.

Be great to see something similar with Morgan.

One more thing I'd add.

I used to love when DeVito would come in to spell Dungey, one of his first pass attempts, it not the very first, was far downfield. Now granted, that's a throw he can make, but I have to believe that threat helped make the short passing game easier, because the defense knew they couldn't just sit on everything short.

Be great to see something similar with Morgan.
Very good point.

I recall another backup QB that had some good performances in relief of the starter.

People called for the starter to be benched in favor the backup.

That quarterback was Tommy Devito.

How's that been working out so far??

It tells me that people on message boards don't know Jack about football players, coaching or recognizing talent.

I recall another backup QB that had some good performances in relief of the starter.

It tells me that people on message boards don't know Jack about football players, coaching or recognizing talent.
While I get what your saying, the comparisons are odd. Rex (great young man) is no Dungey. Cuse is staring a 1 win season down like our qbs stare down their first option.

So I think we can all collectively want to get some meaningful snaps to one of the young qbs. I for one will go one step farther and hope that we get a game ready transfer that can challenge for the starter spot immediately. Be nice to have some options next year.

We're not saying Morgan is a combination of Donavan McNabb and Ben Roethlisberger; but look at what the starter has been doing lately. I appreciate what Rex has gone through, but he has almost been single handedly losing us football games. I also would like to see how Morgan runs before passing judgment; I'm not asking for Malik Jackson, but if Morgan's basically a pro-style will limited foot speed, then that could be a problem...

This brings me back to the nunes-Anderson debates. Everyone gushed over the arm strength in limited action but deleone splashed cold water saying he didn’t know the playbook.

Morgan and Dillon may be worse we don’t know. The issue is how much worse can they be than a SR who was converted from TE. Would rather see conservative play calls and Freshman playing even if they are similar or worse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom