Jake (others feel free): | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jake (others feel free):

First let me say I love Eric. I loved his fire on the court and I love his love for SU and the community. But I just don’t know as a full time coach. You would think he’d be a good choice. But, when he decided to get into coaching JB and JW created a new position on the staff for an asst strength coach. He was always around the players. After 2 years he took a position at Detroit Mercy as a special asst to the HC. He was there for a couple seasons but since, nothing. Except for that very short stint at Liverpool. As we know the last couple years he’s done his podcast as well as training some players during the summer. But what happened to his coaching path?

I don’t love Eric. I’m glad he has his life in order, truly. And Bees, I appreciate your crediting his career (honestly).

If it’s Red + Griff + Bench Coach… we need someone way better at recruiting as that other assistant.

I’m not saying anyone has to be perfect, but Devo ain’t it. This is an A1 job and Devo cannot be slotted in there.

I don’t love Eric. I’m glad he has his life in order, truly. And Bees, I appreciate your crediting his career (honestly).

If it’s Red + Griff + Bench Coach… we need someone way better at recruiting as that other assistant.

I’m not saying anyone has to be perfect, but Devo ain’t it. This is an A1 job and Devo cannot be slotted in there.

We can add two "non-recruiting" bench coaches. New NCAA rule.

Red + Griff + 2 new recruiting assistants + 2 "non-recruiting" bench coaches.

Tell me you can't find room for Devo on the bench.

Yeah, agree about AO.

But I think the point is that Jesse has put himself in contention to be included in the top program centers of all time, with this quietly great season he's put together.
  • Seikaly
  • Smith
  • Bouie
  • Etan
  • Rak
  • AO
  • Jesse
Not listed in any particular order.
Danny Schayes, anyone?
He was pretty, pretty good.

Somebody over on Nunes ages ago did an amazing photoshop for this -
using the format and style of Newman's Own packaging, only it was for:

WARRICK'S OWN TEA BAGS.

With the iconic pic of Hak giving Royal Ivey a cupful fresh from the source.

94cd6777b7f26f1d6e8fbf671bffec0b.jpg

The expressions of GMac, McNeil, and especially Pace are the BEST.

Was it just me or were they trying not to show this dunk in all it's glory on the highlight videos on Saturday? Seemed like they were cropping it.

I have high hopes for the potential Autry era. Red is highly regarded as a recruiter and I think he can make an immediate impact in the portal. That’s the great thing about the portal is you can easily bring in 3-4 competent players in one offseason.

Really isn’t as much of a rebuild as we might think, especially if the Weitsman money fountain keeps flowing.

Red and Griff recruiting. I promise you all you are going to be wildly surprised. The guys JB said no to would be amazing fits. I know these 2 are my guys and my good friends, but I’m telling you to please support them when the time comes because they care too much about cuse to let other coaches out work them and not win

If Red or Gerry is the next coach, we will be close to Lville bad… and never have another winning season. Hop or Hart are the only ACCEPTABLE cuse “in house” guys. Unless we do the smart thing and hire Ricky.

I don’t see Hop returning here as an assistant. But I do wonder if JW kicked the tires with Hop at some point.
Don’t know which ones specifically, but I think JW has kicked a lot of tires the last 18 months. Both personally and through emissaries.

Red and Griff recruiting. I promise you all you are going to be wildly surprised. The guys JB said no to would be amazing fits. I know these 2 are my guys and my good friends, but I’m telling you to please support them when the time comes because they care too much about cuse to let other coaches out work them and not win
1678160899403.jpeg

I can get on board with Red. Ultimately it is change and change is good. If he keeps Griff, we should go outside the family for the rest of the staff unless it was a guy like Herman Harried. Helicopter has long standing ties to a rich recruiting area, has been a longtime leader and could be both a strong assistant HC and teach our bigs.

I have said at different times I think we need a national search and a proven program builder to fix this mess. That being said once Red is officially named then he will receive 100% of my support until it is lost which will take multi seasons

Last edited:
Yeah, agree about AO.

But I think the point is that Jesse has put himself in contention to be included in the top program centers of all time, with this quietly great season he's put together.
  • Seikaly
  • Smith
  • Bouie
  • Etan
  • Rak
  • AO
  • Jesse
Not listed in any particular order.
I think the players you mentioned are all very good centers but you forgot probably one of the best all around player/centers we've had, Derrick Coleman.

Consider Jesse, yes, but his numbers aren't close to any of the rest. He certainly was a major player for us this season. We would not have the record we do w/o him.

All numbers are career at SU

Jesse's #'s not including 22-23/ REB 238, RPG 3.8, PTS 373, PPG 5.9, BS 84

Smith* was the best shooter of the centers of the players mentioned averaging 20.7 PPG.
#'s were REB 903, RPG 12.9, PTS 1,451, PPG 20.7 (BS were not included as a stat when he played from '1968 - 71) * played 3 years

Etan was the best shot blocker with 424
#'s were REB 847, RPG 6.9, PTS 1340, PPG 11.0, BS 424

Arinze #'s were REB 813, PTS 1232, PPG 9.2, BS 148

Seikaly's #'s were REB 1094, PTS 1716, PPG 12.6, RPG 8.0, BS 319

Bouie's #'s REB 987, 8.4 RPG, PTS 1560, PPG 13.2, BS 327

Rak #'s REB 745, RPG 5.2, PTS 1,046, BS 247

Coleman #'s REB 1,537, RPG 10.8, PTS 2,143, PPG 15.0, BS 319

Note: Bouie, Coleman and Seikaly were voted to the All-Century Team in 2000 and their numbers retired.

orangehoops.org

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom