JB and Bryant coach got into it after the game | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

JB and Bryant coach got into it after the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Grasso coached team will eventually be involved in another altercation with another school.

I've been to at least 300 home games going back to 2000 and he's the biggest nut job I've ever seen as a coach in the dome. His players and assistants definitely feed off it.

I used to get angry with Buzz Williams going nuts on the sideline, but this guy was 100 times worse.

just did some investigative research. minimal. But wondered why Grasso has had a thing for JB even before the covid comment after the game it seemed.

did you know he played in the dome in 1998 for Quinnipiac? I cant find a box score. Anything else from that game? we won 93-65 but cant find anything else.

Also, he was actually a heckuva player for them from 1998-2001.

A Grasso coached team will eventually be involved in another altercation with another school.

I've been to at least 300 home games going back to 2000 and he's the biggest nut job I've ever seen as a coach in the dome. His players and assistants definitely feed off it.

I used to get angry with Buzz Williams going nuts on the sideline, but this guy was 100 times worse.
Sure he's crazy. No debate from anyone.

We should try and just ignore it as a bigger/better school. I hated HATED Jim trying to reprimand a smaller school. He can't punch down. It's to me the biggest reason why someone needs to nudge him into retirement. Doing this type of stuff becomes more frequent when the old person governor is removed

Sure he's crazy. No debate from anyone.

We should try and just ignore it as a bigger/better school. I hated HATED Jim trying to reprimand a smaller school. He can't punch down. It's to me the biggest reason why someone needs to nudge him into retirement. Doing this type of stuff becomes more frequent when the old person governor is removed
I agree JB should have ignored it. All I’m saying is he and his team pushes the envelope when it comes to their on court behavior.

I can also understand Mintz’s frustration. Their defender was grabbing his jersey and pinching him when he was off the ball. I remember this happening to me when I was a player and I wanted to elbow said defender in the face because the refs allow that garbage to happen.

Any game with Mike Eades always seems to have controversy. He really is a terrible official and his crew allowed this to get out of hand by not calling the game right from the start.

100%. Hands down the most egregious behavior by a visiting team I've seen going back to 1995 when I was a freshmen. The behavior of the rest of his staff was the really surprising thing. Nobody on the sideline seemed to be pumping the brakes, they all seemed to be egging it on. There was a grad assistant/trainer, really young kid with a polo on the sideline and he was also jawing at fans and egging on the two walk-ons at the end of the bench. Then for some reason he sprinted towards the Syracuse bench at one point. It was bizarre.

Grasso is a complete nut job, and he started the game off by going after Jesse who was getting clarification from the ref after a whistle. His attitude defines the team and the players are all Devendorf turned up to eleven. It's hard to get across just how psychotic he is on the sidelines. I'm surprised the refs didn't eject him since he was really pushing their buttons the entire game even when they weren't talking to him or on the other side of the court.

Of course, it just led to Jesse fouling out on some soft contact fouls - because of course.

100%. Hands down the most egregious behavior by a visiting team I've seen going back to 1995 when I was a freshmen. The behavior of the rest of his staff was the really surprising thing. Nobody on the sideline seemed to be pumping the brakes, they all seemed to be egging it on. There was a grad assistant/trainer, really young kid with a polo on the sideline and he was also jawing at fans and egging on the two walk-ons at the end of the bench. Then for some reason he sprinted towards the Syracuse bench at one point. It was bizarre.
Thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot their entire bench was taunting our fans. Don't remember that ever happening either. At some point if his team is getting blown out a coach is really going to put it on him.

Heard yesterday 3rd hand from someone close by the court that he told JB our program sucks now. I think that might really be what set JB off.

I agree JB should have ignored it. All I’m saying is he and his team pushes the envelope when it comes to their on court behavior.

I can also understand Mintz’s frustration. Their defender was grabbing his jersey and pinching him when he was off the ball. I remember this happening to me when I was a player and I wanted to elbow said defender in the face because the refs allow that garbage to happen.

Any game with Mike Eades always seems to have controversy. He really is a terrible official and his crew allowed this to get out of hand by not calling the game right from the start.
Mintz was playing well. Seven points in 9 minutes of PT. Then he was called for his 2nd borderline charge call and I'm sure he was frustrated. Emotions got the best of him.

But those refs were the absolute worst I have ever seen controlling a game or a situation. How Grasso escaped without a single technical or an expulsion is beyond me. His behavior reminded me of a three year old throwing a temper tantrum.

Plus I have zero respect for any coach that refuses to coach within the borders of the coaching box. I don't understand how refs allow that to happen the entire game. Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine, but last I knew, it's still a rule.

just did some investigative research. minimal. But wondered why Grasso has had a thing for JB even before the covid comment after the game it seemed.

did you know he played in the dome in 1998 for Quinnipiac? I cant find a box score. Anything else from that game? we won 93-65 but cant find anything else.

Also, he was actually a heckuva player for them from 1998-2001.

1669644488073.png

Should people who love the kind of stuff Devo did on the court or who say we need more "swagger" really be complaining about Bryant?

Should people who love the kind of stuff Devo did on the court or who say we need more "swagger" really be complaining about Bryant?
Not for nothing but Devo played here 12 years ago and his antics did not set the tone for the team or the program. This is the head coach and he's a lunatic. He acts like Sack Lodge from Wedding Crashers:

tumblr_mlmdm3wUFf1qcz48ho3_r1_250.gifv

Grasso is a complete nut job, and he started the game off by going after Jesse who was getting clarification from the ref after a whistle. His attitude defines the team and the players are all Devendorf turned up to eleven. It's hard to get across just how psychotic he is on the sidelines. I'm surprised the refs didn't eject him since he was really pushing their buttons the entire game even when they weren't talking to him or on the other side of the court.

Of course, it just led to Jesse fouling out on some soft contact fouls - because of course.

It's funny this happens in sports at all levels. When the coaches come out of the jump acting like a nut the refs let it a go. When a calm guy breaks character (see Dino - Rutgers) the flags and whistles appear.

Since we control who comes we need to be better about who gets a payday going forward.

There's a line at which swagger crosses over into punk behavior. Devo did sometimes cross that line, but most of the time he just toed it. I think it's good for a team to have a guy like that. I don't think I've ever seen an entire team, from coach on down act like that before Bryant. And they crossed the line.

Look, I'm old school when it comes to stuff like this. I don't personally care for that part of the game. I am like a mirror. You treat me with respect, I treat you with respect. You treat me with disrespect, that's what you get back. When I see stuff like this, I care most about who started it. That's why I didn't really have a problem with what MSU football did in the tunnel. As kids say these days, f around, and find out.

This article is fantastic and details not just the fight but much other scumbag behavior from Bryant.
Bryant–Wagner brawl - Wikipedia

I would post some of the highlights, but they wouldn't get past the profanity filter.

But here's a gem:
Throughout the season, Bryant was led by star player Peter Kiss, whose 25.1 points per game made him the top scorer in all of Division I college basketball.[8] However, Kiss was known for having a controversial reputation. In November, Kiss was suspended for the first two games of the season by Bryant head coach Jared Grasso for an unspecified violation of team rules.[9][10] After an altercation-riddled game against Long Island in February which saw 12 total technical fouls and four ejections handed out, Kiss was suspended two games for unsportsmanlike conduct.[a][11]

Surprised that this thread about a dust-up between the coaches is the runaway hot topic after SU loses a game to Bryant.

Surprised that this thread about a dust-up between the coaches is the runaway hot topic after SU loses a game to Bryant.
I'll be the first to admit it is a distraction, but Grasso and Bryant's behavior was so outside the norm of what I've ever seen in the Dome before and then the more I looked into Bryant the more I was shocked.

Imagine a coach tolerating this:
Bryant jumped out to a dominant 36–6 lead over Wagner in the first half of the championship game.[18] Throughout the game, Kiss regularly taunted opposing players and fans by showboating, flexing, sticking his tongue out and doing push-ups after field goals.[19] On one occasion, after making a 3-pointer, he pointed towards a reporter who had picked Wagner to win and screamed, "That's for you, b!tch!"[20]

Last edited:
I promise to stop replying to this thread just soon as I stop learning new things about Grasso's scumbaggery. I just learned that Bryant open the season by beating a DIII school by 108 points, 147-39. He and his program are literal human trash.
Playing a D3 school for a decent mid major doesn’t make much sense. Makes me think some bigger programs don’t want to schedule him and deal with his shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom