JB in Rochester talks bigs, foul trouble,NIT etc | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB in Rochester talks bigs, foul trouble,NIT etc

two hoops and some hardwood. we'll find a venue to host if we need one.

Didn’t Glens Falls already reach out to see if we’d NIT at their arena? I’d go there first, Ra-Cha -Cha if we have a second game.
Gf too small couldn’t get a ticket for hs bb game.

Teams have had the same situation as we have had when making the NIT.

Illinois made the NIT years ago as a 1 seed and there arena was getting renovations I believe they played at Wagner instead. They just played all their games as a road team.

In 2013 Kentucky missed the tournament. Rupp Arena was going to be a host site for the NCAA tournament so Kentucky as a 1 seed played at Fairleigh Dickerson in Pittsburgh and lost.

So if we make the NIT we just play our games on the road. It’s fine.
Says the guy who lives in NC

I don't think many here really think Eli is coming back. However, Boeheim did say EVERYBODY.

"obviously everybody on our team is coming back,” Boeheim said.
Yeah sure if you take it out of context like that...that’s not what he said though nor is it what he intended

Yeah sure if you take it out of context like that...that’s not what he said though nor is it what he intended
I'm not arguing the meaning of what he said. However, that IS what he said. It's right there. That's my only point.

I'm not arguing the meaning of what he said. However, that IS what he said. It's right there. That's my only point.

Meaning: nobody is graduating.
aka
All current players still have eligibility remaining.

You do realize you’re cutting the quote in half right? I’m sure you do

You do realize you’re cutting the quote in half right? I’m sure you do
In context (assuming the writer accurately reflected it), it was a weird and ambiguous thing to say.

Teams have had the same situation as we have had when making the NIT.

Illinois made the NIT years ago as a 1 seed and there arena was getting renovations I believe they played at Wagner instead. They just played all their games as a road team.

In 2013 Kentucky missed the tournament. Rupp Arena was going to be a host site for the NCAA tournament so Kentucky as a 1 seed played at Fairleigh Dickerson in Pittsburgh and lost.

So if we make the NIT we just play our games on the road. It’s fine.

Farleigh isnt in Pittsburgh. Youre talking about Robert Morris.

In context (assuming the writer accurately reflected it), it was a weird and ambiguous thing to say.

I agree. That said, I was just thinking... what should have Boeheim said though to avoid being confusing? I mean if he said something like "most of the team is coming back" or "I think everybody is coming back" or "everyone is coming back but maybe not Eli", is that really better? I'm not sure any statement would necessarily be better than what was said.

I think as a coach, he has to talk publicly like a player is coming back until the decision has been made (even if the coach knows it's likely that he's gone).

Sometimes, the public comments wear certain players down and they get more mental.

Other times, players get motivated by the comments.

I wonder if JB's remarks in recent weeks have had a positive, motivational impact on Sidibe -- seems like he's played with more purpose in a couple of the recent games, has done a more conscientious job staying out of foul trouble early, etc.

JB gets criticized a lot for his surly press conference criticisms of players, but did it have the intended effect this time?

I think it may have worked to motivate Sidibe but who knows. While I'm a big supporter of Boeheim, I still don't like the comments he makes at times. Think about this, your boss says at a company function that he needs to do a better job hiring more talent in your specific job function (your position essentially). That would kinda suck, no?

We can't bring everyone back as we have to lose 1 player to fit the 13 scholarship limit for next year. So JB was being honest in his talk but somebody has to go. We are likely not even losing just 1 player.
Hughes nobody has a clue what he is doing.
What is fairly certain is we will lose atleast 1 player from the roster.
Nobody has a clue beyond that.

I agree. That said, I was just thinking... what should have Boeheim said though to avoid being confusing? I mean if he said something like "most of the team is coming back" or "I think everybody is coming back" or "everyone is coming back but maybe not Eli", is that really better? I'm not sure any statement would necessarily be better than what was said.

I think as a coach, he has to talk publicly like a player is coming back until the decision has been made (even if the coach knows it's likely that he's gone).
He could have just said "they" since he was already talking about the young players.

I shouldn't have called it "weird". It's not weird in an interview for someone to say something in an ambiguous way.

Its not like we were blindsided by the possibility of an NIT game this year combined with the dome renovation schedule.
We have been BubbleCuse for what seems like the past 5 years combined with a young team replacing veteran starters and the writing has been on the wall that NCAA was probably unlikely this year
Agreed. But I’d like to defend last year’s team. They were not on the bubble. They were firmly in by mid February and by this point last year it was all about improving seeding and finishing higher in the ACC standings. Ended up with an 8 seed.

We played St Bonnie at Rochester in 2003, Siena at Albany in 2004, Towson at Scranton in 2005, and Canisius at Buffalo in 2006.

We've been in the "maximize home revenue" plan since then.
I completely forgot about those games.