JB's Best Coaching | Syracusefan.com

JB's Best Coaching

McCallum's pieces are worth a read, if only because he seems to have better access to the team than any other writer. Also, he's got a way with words (though I don't know about referring to Etan as a 'product' - why not 'graduate'?).

Anyway, nice insights, on the whole. Don't agree with this: "On the other hand, I never go hard at a shooter. You never say anything to a shooter because they're going to do what they're going to do whether you're in their ear or not. Shooting is not about effort."

It reads like one of those pointed Boeheim remarks; we know who he's talking about. But "effort" isn't the only reason to get a kid's ear (and it's not entirely true that shooting's not about effort). Mechanics and discretion are both worthwhile things to refresh shooters on.

McCallum's opinions on the press (we press well) seem to conflict with Boeheim's perennial opinion (we don't).

Putting minor criticisms aside, I don't know how anyone can disagree with this kind of comment: "I make little compromises in the way I act every year," says Boeheim, "but not all that many. The understanding here is that players have to adjust to me, not vice versa. With almost every player I've had, that message is clear."

Finally, for the resident contrarians who think/guarantee that Hopkins will be an all-zone coach, here's McCallum saying the opposite (and claiming that Boeheim agrees).

Nice read.

I would think Hopkins with the right kind of depth would like to press more and keep the energy up on D. We will have a bigger center available next year so we might see it even out of JB.