JB's Presser after Carleton | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Carleton

incoherent answer on paying players, but who cares.

i wish we could know what he REALLY thinks about Willard and Seton Hall

i thought he was very coherent on paying players. Like some others here he doesn’t think it’s a good idea. He’s all for getting players more money but not in this manner. He hopes he’s wrong but he sees kids coming in and getting as much as $100k for a commercial. He also inverted quite a bit. He’s dead on with his fears.

i thought he was very coherent on paying players. Like some others here he doesn’t think it’s a good idea. He’s all for getting players more money but not in this manner. He hopes he’s wrong but he sees kids coming in and getting as much as $100k for a commercial. He also inverted quite a bit. He’s dead on with his fears.

Personally, I thought he was all over the place on that answer. It became more ramble than rant.

I just might be better at understanding Boeheim speak.

I get his general point, this can’t become about Kentucky and UNC offering the most money to recruits, and that the star player shouldn’t get exponentially more than the 10th best player on the team.

But it was about 6 minutes of talking in circles. And he seemed to dance in and out of whether or not getting a scholarship should be enough for college athletes.

Did people notice he said if Sidibe isn’t active he’s going with Marek at center?

Yeah, and Hughes is after that.

He was joking about that part (I think) but that was about Jesse not being able to stop a 6 foot 3 guard from making a layup.

I wouldn’t plan on seeing the two freshmen centers in a meaningful game unless we’re in a LOT of foul trouble.

Did people notice he said if Sidibe isn’t active he’s going with Marek at center?
Yes. I don't think either freshmen center sees much time this year and Marek will play a lot at center.
I really, really, really, really...did i say really(?), HATE this idea.
We will get slaughtered on the boards in ACC play. Period.
1572410746851.jpeg

I think center is the toughest position to learn in the zone and the hardest transition from high school to college. I can't name a center that played well as a freshmen for us, but I can for every other position.

Last edited:
Why do coaches get so sensitive when someone asks a personnel question? Asking whether he had narrowed his rotation in this game in preparation for Virginia is not the same thing as wondering if he wants to win or suggesting we'd be better off with another coach.

Sidibe got pulled for poor defense.

Why do coaches get so sensitive when someone asks a personnel question? Asking whether he had narrowed his rotation in this game in preparation for Virginia is not the same thing as wondering if he wants to win or suggesting we'd be better off with another coach.

I'm not sure why he got irritated. The only thing I can come up with is he doesn't like the narrative of him playing x guys in a season. I'd be willing to bet he knows how deep he will go on the bench. I almost wonder if that response had to do as a retort to the tweets from last game.

As he started that answer all I could think was here is the twitter reply to Howard’s mom. But then when he said you can get a new coach I thought, what street did we just turn down?

was Washington not played to send a message to his mom?

Watching that JB needs to just keep his PCs short and just say nothing a la Bill Belichick.
He doesn’t give two bleeps what he says and just speaks his mind. When we don’t need that.
Just say I am doing what is best for the team and let go what he perceives as dumb questions.
The NCAA answer was all over the place and if he doesn’t want to talk about rotations just say I will do what’s best for the team.

He is way to passive aggressive for a coach of his reputation.

I suspect coaches are sensitive about personnel questions to avoid more direct follow up:

“Coach have you settled on a number for your rotation against Virginia?"
"Yes."
"What's that number and did [insert names of players] do enough tonight to make that rotation?"

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that line of questioning but I understand why some coaches don't want to be put on the spot.

Not attempting to excuse Boeheim leaping to "get a new coach", just think most coaches don't like personnel questions because of where they eventually lead.

Of course, JB can always take a page from Dino's book and answer the question without saying much.

I didn't have a problem with the "rotation" question or his answer. Personally, it would be nice to see 10 players getting action in a game with obviously different minutes for each. However, I agree with JB it is necessary to give the minutes to the guys that are playing well. Those minutes may change from game to game. I also agree that there may be games when only 7 players are utilized. Bottom line - do what you have to do to get the win. If it's 7 players - fine, if it's 12 players - fine.

If I’m Girard I’m worried about playing against Virginia. History shows if a bench players plays too well, they actually see less time. Note Braswell last night. He was all the talk after the first game and barely saw the floor last night. Girard played well last night, so he might get buried next. I’ve seen this movie before. After two games, Guerrier and Carey are not two of our five best players. Granted, I’m not at practice, but they have both shown very little in the first two games, except they both take very bad shots too early in a possession.

I'm not sure why he got irritated. The only thing I can come up with is he doesn't like the narrative of him playing x guys in a season. I'd be willing to bet he knows how deep he will go on the bench. I almost wonder if that response had to do as a retort to the tweets from last game.

I am. He hears this same stuff every year, and every year it's the same.

We play around 10 players in our first half-dozen games to see if the newcomers can be contributors. Then we cut down to 9 or so to try to start forming a rotation. We usually play 8-9 players in December, and then 8 starting in January in conference play.

When we play NC or Duke, we might go with 7, or we might go with 9 if we get big men in foul trouble. Same thing with the NCAA tournament - we might play 7 if we're winning; we might play 8 or 9 if we aren't.

I believe it was SWC who did the math the other day, and over the last 10-20 years, the average has been around 8 guys who get at least 10 minutes per game over the course of the whole season. In a few seasons it is only 7, but they are rare. In more seasons, we hit 9 players than we only have 7. Eight is the sweet spot for serious rotation contributors. (10 minutes a game over the entire season is a contributor.)

It's usually 2 centers, 3 forwards and 3 guards, when we get to the important games. You can't play that few guys for a whole season though, or they will break down and get injured.

When we have flexibility on the roster (a Rick Jackson type who can play center or forward, or a Josh Pace type who can play guard or forward), then the rotation gets smaller because of its flexibility.

When we have players with limited skill sets, or when we are an inexperienced team, then more players have to play.

This year, for instance, if you look at our centers, all of them have some deficiency in their game, so we are probably going to play them all, depending on fouls and what the opponent is doing.

If you look at the guards, we have a point guard who is not really secure with the ball, we have another who is secure but not that dynamic or athletic, we have another who is good at certain things but great at none of them, and finally, we have a guy who can shoot the lights out and score a ton, but it's questionable if he can defend at the top of the zone, and if he can develop enough of a feel as a true distributor.

Because of the holes in these kids' individual games, we are likely to see more of them all, until Boeheim figures out how the pieces best fit together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom