JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t disagree. Just think it’s too risky a narrative to accept for a national brand. Willard would never be in consideration, the guys a walking pending violation.
Carolina is going to do the same thing.
They will pick the Stanford coach or Hubert Davis who are Roy Williams guys.

Both Hop and Red are proven recruiters with strong ties in our geographic recruiting regions. The distinguishing factor is Hop’s HC experience. Hopefully he gets it turned around at UW or lands somewhere else with success.
Yeah, thing is though... Hop's got to be careful that his HC experience advantage remains an advantage. He already has more losing seasons in his short career than JB has in his long one.

No, I'm not counting the NCAA's decision to take wins away from JB as losing seasons. Don't even go there.

How much leash would Hopkins get from the fans?
1609340714809.jpeg

As much as I would prefer a national search to hire the best possible candidate, the first one to replace JB has to have Syracuse ties. And hopefully he'll succeed. If things go bad, then it'll be much easier to bring someone else in. The hard part will be limping along like we have since 2015.

Yeah, thing is though... Hop's got to be careful that his HC experience advantage remains an advantage. He already has more losing seasons in his short career than JB has in his long one.

No, I'm not counting the NCAA's decision to take wins away from JB as losing seasons. Don't even go there.
Don't forget...… Belichick had a bad start with Cleveland. You don't let a bad W/L season or two with Washington diminish your opinion of Hopkins imo.

1. Mike Hopkins
2. Red Autry
That is the list.

100% false.

Wildhack isn't going to limit his options to some artificial, BS, unimportant criteria that is meaningless to future job performance like "keeping it in the family."

And that's a good thing for SU hoops.

Doesn't mean that those guys won't be considered / candidates, but that is NOT the approach JW is going to take.

The replacement for JB has to be inside the family.
It’s going to happen so I am not going to think outside.
Wildhack won’t piss off JB.
Oats is clearly not on good terms with JB.
I don’t see other candidates.
We aren’t hiring Rick Pitino or Willard.
That’d be unfortunate.

Each should get a lot of consideration. But it’d be unfortunate if that’s what Syracuse is limited to. Not sure I’m sold on staying in the family for the future of a college program.
Izzo at Michigan State, Few at Gonzaga, Jay Wright at Nova, Williams at UNC, Matt Painter at Purdue, Greg Gard at Wisconsin, Brian Dutcher at San Diego State. Juwan Howard is off to a rousing start at Michigan. Our very own Jim Boeheim was the lead assistant at Syracuse when he took over the head job. There are plenty of excellent examples where staying in the family and hiring coaches with longtime program ties can pay huge dividends. You can have a seamless transition, especially with recruiting, and the program culture is already built. It’s such a specious argument that hiring a coach with program ties doesn’t usually work out. The first four examples, along with JB himself, are among the very best coaches in all of college basketball.

Last edited:
Don't forget...… Belichick had a bad start with Cleveland. You don't let a bad W/L season or two with Washington diminish your opinion of Hopkins imo.
You're making a point that past performance doesn't perfectly predict future performance, but using an example that is an extreme outlier is not very compelling. In no way should anyone ever expect a Bill Belichickian career arc from anyone, let alone someone that has had some losing in their career, even though that makes them look like him a little more.

Hop's performance at UW for better or worse has to influence opinion on his fit here.

The replacement for JB has to be inside the family.
It’s going to happen so I am not going to think outside.
Wildhack won’t piss off JB.
yep. it's just how it works with replacing a legendary/HoF coach at any of the major schools

Izzo at Michigan State, Few at Gonzaga, Jay Wright at Nova, Williams at UNC, Matt Painter at Purdue, Greg Gard at Wisconsin, Brian Dutcher at San Diego State. Juwan Howard is off to a rousing start at Michigan. Our very own Jim Boeheim was the lead assistant at Syracuse when he took over the head job. There are plenty of excellent examples where staying in the family and hiring coaches with longtime program ties can pay huge dividends. You can have a seamless transition, especially with recruiting, and the program culture is already built. It’s such a specious argument that staying within the family doesn’t usually work out. The first four examples, along with JB himself, are among the very best coaches in all of college basketball.

Sure, those are examples of it working. There are also countless examples of hiring in-house not working out.

Our future opening is also going to have the extra, pressure packed powder keg of the next coach replacing an all-time great, HOF legendary coach. Which is exactly why it is important to do due dilligence to maximize the chances of hiring the best, most qualified candidate we can -- and not handcuff ourselves to evaluative criteria that gets in the way of making that hire.

You're making a point that past performance doesn't perfectly predict future performance, but using an example that is an extreme outlier is not very compelling. In no way should anyone ever expect a Bill Belichickian career arc from anyone, let alone someone that has had some losing in their career, even though that makes them look like him a little more.

Hop's performance at UW for better or worse has to influence opinion on his fit here.

Agree 100%.

100% false.

Wildhack isn't going to limit his options to some artificial, BS, unimportant criteria that is meaningless to future job performance like "keeping it in the family."

And that's a good thing for SU hoops.

Doesn't mean that those guys won't be considered / candidates, but that is NOT the approach JW is going to take.
I hope you are right but I don’t believe it.
It’s all opinion at this point nobody has a clue except Wildhack.

I think Boeheim calls the shot on his replacement. The AD will want JB to help with fundraising and entertaining alumni when he retires.
He will have a big factor in the next HC.
I can’t see it being anyone but Hopkins or a current assistant.

Sure, those are examples of it working. There are also countless examples of hiring in-house not working out.

Our future opening is also going to have the extra, pressure packed powder keg of the next coach replacing an all-time great, HOF legendary coach. Which is exactly why it is important to hire the best, most qualified candidate we can -- and not handcuff ourselves to evaluative criteria that gets in the way of making that hire.
The truth is that most head coaches eventually get fired...that’s the cold hard fact. But I bet if you looked at the percentages of coaches hired with close program ties vs. coaches hired without, you’d find more long term success and better winning percentages hiring within the family. Or it would be closer than you’d think. Nova, Purdue, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Michigan State—those are the kinds of programs that are closer parallels to SU and Boeheim and whose models we’d be most likely to follow. Even guys that eventually failed like JT3 lasted a long time and had considerable success. Dixon at Pitt is another good example of a successful assistant to head coach transition, even though Pitt pales in comparison to our stature and brand.

Last edited:
What JB told my father on the golf course...granted was 2 years ago...First call is to Hop, second to Oats and if both say no, it’s Red and national search.
Oats will be interesting only because of the money Alabama has

100% If Hop turns it down Red will be the next coach.

There is no way Hopkins turns it down based on the downward trajectory of the washington program is headed. Hopkins will be the next HC.

I hope you are right but I don’t believe it.
It’s all opinion at this point nobody has a clue except Wildhack.

I think Boeheim calls the shot on his replacement. The AD will want JB to help with fundraising and entertaining alumni when he retires.
He will have a big factor in the next HC.
I can’t see it being anyone but Hopkins or a current assistant.

That's what people say, but it is completely unsubstantiated. And, I think false, given what I've heard about JB approaching Wildhack with a second succession plan after Hop departed.

I believe that JW puts on a deferential front publicly with respect to Boeheim, but I don't think that when JB is going to step down, he'll call the shots. The only way JB determines who the next head coach will be is if he pulls a Dean Smith, and temporarily locks us in for a year to someone in house. And the key word there would be "temporary." And it would be a colossal dick move on JB's part.

Hire the best, most qualified candidate you can. Period.

1. Mike Hopkins
2. Red Autry
That is the list.
Disagree. They will definitely be two names on the list but I just don't believe a guy like JW would not go through a search process nationally and bring through a number of candidates. I think any coaching hire predicated only on JBs sign off and approval is a flawed approach. Love JB. Hope he stays in touch with the program when he leaves but he is not the AD. In the end if Hop and Red get the job then fine but that's an outcome derived through a process and review.
Also as an aside, isn't Hop's father out West?Hop may want to stay out that way to be close to him. If I remember correctly.

That's what people say, but it is completely unsubstantiated. And, I think false, given what I've heard about JB approaching Wildhack with a second succession plan after Hop departed.

I believe that JW puts on a deferential front publicly with respect to Boeheim, but I don't think that when JB is going to step down, he'll call the shots. The only way JB determines who the next head coach will be is if he pulls a Dean Smith, and temporarily locks us in for a year to someone in house. And the key word there would be "temporary."

Hire the best, most qualified candidate you can. Period.
JB may not call the shots entirely but, as has been pointed out above, he just holds way too much influence, sentiment, investment - er, Power - to not have significant say in who his predecessor is-
regardless of Wildhack's style/intentions (and Wildhack seems astute enough to understand it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom