JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet... Hop has recruited well at UW, and still finished in last place last year, and is off to a disastrous start this year.

Sometimes, the best choices are the ones you don't make. I love Hop, but him leaving the fold was the best thing that could have happened in terms of SU being able to do a low-risk audition.

And in light of that performance, it is valid to question whether he has the required chops to coach here, and whether he's the top candidate we should consider -- despite his deep ties to the program.

Fortunately, JW isn't going to think so small -- he's going to do full due diligence. And when the dust settles, if Hop is the guy, then I'll get behind that decision. But anyone thinking that we're going to only consider Hop, Red, GMac, and Willard because of their ties to the program are underestimating what an astute leader / strategist / business man Wildhack is.
Willard?? He has no ties to the SU program, and JB and other coaches despise him, as has already been stated on this thread.

Very good observation.
If it were JB's pick, I have very little doubt it would be Gerry - who is probably the least prepared.
I can tell you I’ve heard the JB / GMAC story as well from two separate people who would be in a position to know.
So JB must think Gerry is the smartest basketball mind on his staff? Hmmm... because it’s definitely not about anything he’s doing on the recruiting trail. Lol. I’d be curious why people think JB holds Gmac in such high regard, especially over Red, who has more experience.

Last edited:
Bennett is not leaving UVA for UNC.
He can get any player he wants at Virginia than he could at North Carolina.
He creates his own legacy at UVA and UVA fans are way more patience than UNC fans.

Beard if he keeps Texas Tech relevant will get an elite job. I think it’s Kansas since he likes living in the Southwest.
lol. Even with Bennett, Virginia doesn’t come close to matching Carolina’s cache in recruiting. UVA doesn’t even regularly get top 50 players, let alone compete for top 10 kids.

No way they hire a coach with no HC experience.
I wouldn’t say that. Donahue and Christian had HC and flamed out.

they need some pizzazz. I wouldn’t discount Pitino there from what the bc people are saying...or maybe they grab red or Mac. They envy the Syracuse basketball machinery. Why not try and build it

The answer here is Hopkins. Surprised guys who cover college basketball would waste time talking about anyone else.

Can’t see Pitino coming to Syracuse. Not with John Wildhack running things. Now if Dr Gross was still here, yes, that would be the guy he would be all over.

John might not hire JB’s first pick but I can’t see him hiring someone JB really dislikes. Willard or Oats would be hires that would split JB away from the program, divide the fan and donor base and put a bad person in charge of the program. Good chance we would be on probation in a year or two. Lots of downside going with a choice like these guys. No way it happens IMHO.
pikiell ---

If GMac isn’t the associate HC he shouldn’t even get an interview for the SU job.

I don’t care if Hopkins goes 1-25 this year and 0-31 next year he is always be a candidate than GMac without him getting another HC job first.
Associate head coach is only a title. It means nothing when determining the next coach. Where’s Hop? Experience is nice but it’s not the end all. Sometimes coaches have insights to see things happening on the floor before they do. Maybe GMAC sees things that Red doesn’t. Maybe he can teach better, etc. I know watching games, GMAC is very into the game and he gets gets pretty fired up when he doesn’t like something. Some coaches just have it, just like players. I’m not saying GMAC has “it”, but who’s to say he doesn’t?

I wouldn’t say that. Donahue and Christian had HC and flamed out.

they need some pizzazz. I wouldn’t discount Pitino there from what the bc people are saying...or maybe they grab red or Mac. They envy the Syracuse basketball machinery. Why not try and build it
Pitino and Ed Cooley will be talked about a lot for that position.

Not sure if the administration will be willing to look past Pitino’s past indiscretions. Cooley is interesting because he’s got a good situation at Providence and they might give him a fair raise to keep him.

Joe Jones at BU isn’t going to get a lot of pub, but he should. He’s a hell of a coach.

BC won’t hire a Syracuse coach for their job. They see themselves as equal to Syracuse for some inexplicable reason. They’re not going to hire a “rival” school’s assistant coach.

Associate head coach is only a title. It means nothing when determining the next coach. Where’s Hop? Experience is nice but it’s not the end all. Sometimes coaches have insights to see things happening on the floor before they do. Maybe GMAC sees things that Red doesn’t. Maybe he can teach better, etc. I know watching games, GMAC is very into the game and he gets gets pretty fired up when he doesn’t like something. Some coaches just have it, just like players. I’m not saying GMAC has “it”, but who’s to say he doesn’t?
Autry is the top assistant.
GMac isn’t.
Just because GMac is more emotional doesn’t mean anything.
Associate HC comes with more responsibility.
Hopkins ran practices as AHC. If JB ever missed a game or was ejected Autry would be HC.

GMac belongs nowhere near the SU HC. I am glad and relieved JW apparently said no to him being HCIW. His hiring as the next HC is the only candidate I would actively not want any part of. He hasn’t shown this fanbase we should feel confident in his abilities as a HC.

Pitino and Ed Cooley will be talked about a lot for that position.

Not sure if the administration will be willing to look past Pitino’s past indiscretions. Cooley is interesting because he’s got a good situation at Providence and they might give him a fair raise to keep him.

Joe Jones at BU isn’t going to get a lot of pub, but he should. He’s a hell of a coach.

BC won’t hire a Syracuse coach for their job. They see themselves as equal to Syracuse for some inexplicable reason. They’re not going to hire a “rival” school’s assistant coach.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. That AD is doing some soul searching and trying to find the right match for basketball. The Hafley model is working there and it's because he's a damn good recruiter and enthusiastic as heck (and young). If they go with that for hoops I could absolutely see Gerry getting a very strong look.

I don't think Ed is coming to the Heights. He is targeting higher. Pitino ONLY makes sense if both Rick and the school are on the same page for length of career there. They'll need him locked in for whatever time makes sense and for him to not run for the hills if he's seduced by bigger schools again. I argued with boosters they should have hired Calhoun before Christian. At least you're getting a program builder.

GMac isn’t.
Hopkins ran practices as AHC. If JB ever missed a game or was ejected Autry would be HC.

GMac belongs nowhere near the SU HC. I am glad and relieved JW apparently said no to him being HCIW. His hiring as the next HC is the only candidate I would actively not want any part of. He hasn’t shown this fanbase we should feel confident in his abilities as a HC.

If you use the Pasqualoni/Edsell analogy it won't matter. Randy was higher up the Mac pecking order and didn't get the job. Paul leapfrogged him. I could see Gerry overstepping Red. I don't know who Jimmy considers the successor if it's between the two. To me it's Hopkins who gets the job so it's almost moot.

I'd be more interested in who Mike brings in or keeps if he took the job. I suspect Red or Gerry is gone by the time this decision tree occurs

Agree 1000% percent. JW will do full due diligence, and won't restrict himself to only in-house candidates. Nor will he be forced into taking someone on the current staff.
I don’t disagree in principle. But JW is a CUSE guy too so he knows the ways of the Force around here. The choice is so painfully obvious it’s not even going to matter.

And guys Rick Pitino will be 100 years old when JB retires. Heck Hopper will be 75!

Willard?? He has no ties to the SU program, and JB and other coaches despise him, as has already been stated on this thread.
Willard was discussed in the video linked earlier in this thread as a prospective candidate to replace JB, hence why I referenced him.

Does former ball boy count as a tie to the program?

Paulus is one to watch. If he had some success at Niagara he could be a nice fit especially if he loses out on his dream gig. It won’t matter because Hop or Red are definitely taking it but Greg might be one of the beat young coaches in the game. Will be a star.

If you use the Pasqualoni/Edsell analogy it won't matter. Randy was higher up the Mac pecking order and didn't get the job. Paul leapfrogged him. I could see Gerry overstepping Red. I don't know who Jimmy considers the successor if it's between the two. To me it's Hopkins who gets the job so it's almost moot.

I'd be more interested in who Mike brings in or keeps if he took the job. I suspect Red or Gerry is gone by the time this decision tree occurs
It appears JB wanted GMac as his guaranteed successor and was told no.

As I said Hopkins can flame out in Washington and he should be way above GMac on the pecking order.

The idea JB thought he could just make GMac HCIW makes me feel JB should just be given a courtesy phone call and have no real influence in this process.

Last edited:
No coach should have a say on the person following him. Just my opinion.

And it's the 100% correct opinion.

If I was Wildhack and JB offered his opinion on successors I will tell him to shut up and stay in his lane in the most polite and tactful way humanly possible. Unless JB wants in-game advice from Wildhack on playing man vs. zone.

If I was Wildhack and JB offered his opinion on successors I will tell him to shut up and stay in his lane in the most polite and tactful way humanly possible. Unless JB wants in-game advice from Wildhack on playing man vs. zone.
I would disagree a bit. I think JW will actively solicit JB's list/opinion on potential successors.

I just think JB will have no role in the selection of finalists and the subsequent choice of HC.

I hope it's more as a matter of courtesy and respect. I want Wildhack to a conduct a clear-eyed national search without being influenced by JB. This program needs an infusion of fresh new ideas.
I was watching the end of the 2003 Pitt game at the Dome yesterday and in the next last possession when the game was tied we adjusted and played man to man defense and got a steal.
Would that happen now.

That is the stuff you are talking about.
The coaching is more stubborn now.

I hope it's more as a matter of courtesy and respect. I want Wildhack to a conduct a clear-eyed national search without being influenced by JB. This program needs an infusion of fresh new ideas.
In so many words, that's what I was trying to convey.

Kevin Willard is one of the least liked coaches among other coaches and ADs. I know this for a fact. He’s one of the biggest negative recruiters in the game and is a snake oil salesman. He’s done a lot of shady stuff to get big time recruits from the city. No way he’s welcomed here.

It will likely be Hop or Red who takeover, but I also would keep an eye on two others over the next few years depending on their career progression (pure speculation).

John Becker, the Vermont head coach, who should be a leading candidate for the BC job this offseason. He’s a really good coach with good connections in the NE prep school scene.

Then there’s Matt Langel at Colgate, who is a 3x Patriot League Coach of the Year. Another guy with NE ties, but I think he might wind up back in the Philly area long term.
Becker is a really good guy, and has sustained UVM at a high level.

JB is only a part of this. You’re forgetting 40 plus years of basketball alums who have a HUGEEE voice here just like alums do in SOM or Newhouse for dean replacements.

GMac isn’t.

My gut says neither will be the next head coach. Neither Autry or GMAC have proved anything but being an assistant.

I'd put money on it that Duke and UNC are going to hire alums as well to replace K and Roy at least to start. Kansas will go outside the family, but at certain schools the alums are going to dictate who is hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom