JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely different era. Literally.

How things were done and what worked nearly FIVE DECADES AGO is completely irrelevant now.
To be clear, I am not advocating that JW hire a HC with no HC experience. I am pointing out that there are MANY HC who were very successful from the jump without HC experience, including our HOFer. Hiring the best possible HC and HC experience are not mutually exclusive, regardless of the era.

And SU at that time was a small, regional basketball team, on a par with St
Bonnies and ODU. They were competing with U of R for JB.

Who ever it is we will enter a new realm: there will always be a chance, in any game, that our new guy will be out coached.

gmac is well positioned if Hop or Red gets the gig. He would then be in position to land a solid mid major job.

I haven’t followed Jason Hart at all, is he a HC candidate at another program in the next few years?

I’d take Rob Murphy over GMac.

How was Hopkins able to do it and GMac can’t.
Hopkins has a personality? He’s an electric, incredible likable person. High energy etc. there’s a reason he was the good cop to Boeheim’s bad cop with certain guys. More of a players coach. Emotional guy.

gerry is a different guy than Hopkins. No clue how he is as a coach or recruiter. I only dealt with Gerry as a player vs Mike as a coach. But based on observations of the two, I could see why Mike would be a better recruiter.

I agree 144%.
JB will have some input, but JW will make the final decision.
JW is JB’s boss. Period.

Now, JB can somewhat force Wildhack’s hand via the timing of his retirement, which could prompt one of the current staff (spoiler - Red, NOT GMac) to be “interim HC”, which effectively gives him a chance to earn the job via performance that season.

JW is smart and savvy.
He’s likely already got his own shortlist of potential targets in mind, and will almost certainly do a full national search before naming the new HC.

Having been a former Orange guard who has ever been on JB’s staff is NOT a prerequisite.

This is what I expect could happen. We have seen time after time where a long time coach leaves at time where the AD is hamstrung, leaving his guy with the first shot. I could certainly see JB doing this and giving Red/Gerry that first shot. Depending on the results, that may lead to a permanent contract or not. If that is the outcome in this case, and if JW does indeed evaluate the situation after that trial run and then make the best decision for the program, including an honest national search unless the interim HC knocked it out, it would be hard to fault him for the decision. I certainly would be happy with that.

What happened to, Tony Bennett, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright and Billy Donovan?

1. Mike Hopkins
2. Red Autry
That is the list.

Good Lord I hope not.

Hop has gone from 2x COY to producing a 1-7 team in year four.

It's as if he strategized going all-in on east coast/Syracuse roots to steroid a program up and NOT build stronger west coast relations during those first 2-3 years.

Hopkins has not developed his program anywhere to the degree he should have with the head start he had landing some great players (e.g. Isiah Stewart).

And Autry is only as good as how Boeheim's teams perform the next few years...and therein lies the reality: Boeheim never wants to go, so if he has to, that eliminates Red.

I haven’t followed Jason Hart at all, is he a HC candidate at another program in the next few years?
He is the associate head coach at usc and a really good recruiter. He brings in a good amount of the players they get. They just never are as good as the talent they have which I think is the only reason he hasn't gotten a pac 12 head job

he's a candidate right now but (imho) won't jump just to jump. but if he gets the right offer . . .

I think Hart would prefer to stay out West...
and more specifically socal, or at least cal

and there are only a handful of worthwhile gigs when you start delimiting like that

i think if brian dutcher moves up from sdsu, hart would be well positioned for that job

My (worthless) $0.02:
I like to think that JAB is too classy to pull the Bo Ryan-Greg Gard hijinks. A move like that, after 45+ years, is so unbecoming and/or divisive that it could shake the program’s foundation he built for five decades (see UConn) and tarnish his own legacy.

Why do something that selfish when you know you have one of the top, process-driven and forthright ADs in college sports in place (and there are not many out there, trust me). An AD that he likes and would likely be able to have a place in the conversation (to offer his wise opinion). This is not Gross. This is Wildhack. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Wildhack was hired to make 2-3 big decisions and he has the backing of Kent and the BOT. I don’t know this, but my best read is that Wildhack is in greater standing with Kent and the BOT than JAB (if JAB, hypothetically, is perceived as undermining Wildhack’s process, he will lose any voice in the matter).

In the end, Wildhack will make the decision: Hopkins, Autry or G-Mac. It will stay in house. Timing and final name to be determined.

B1G elite are Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana. Now it adds Rutgers and Maryland. I don't see any coach leave these schools for Syracuse. Iowa and Purdue are the same level as us. That leaves us few options if we want to snatch a B1G coach like Minnesota or Northwestern. Maybe Purdue or Iowa if we are willing to pay very much.
Lol. Purdue is a better job than Butgers and has vastly richer history. Even Wisconsin has only been good in the past 20 years. They weren’t much to write home about before that.

Why do something that selfish when you know you have one of the top, process-driven and forthright ADs in college sports in place

When Dean Smith and Calhoun did it what were the interior and exterior reactions?

I remember they (news reporting like ESPN) were singing praises at the time on how selfless Dean Smith was to retire this way to ensure his long time assistant gets a shot on the HC experience.

That's just reporting from the outside, I have no idea how the NC fans and student body looked at it.

It all depends on whether JB is more loyal to the school or his loyal assistants, and he may believe doing one is the same as doing the other.?

He is the associate head coach at usc and a really good recruiter. He brings in a good amount of the players they get. They just never are as good as the talent they have which I think is the only reason he hasn't gotten a pac 12 head job
Could Hart get the HC job @ UW if we pick Hop?

When Dean Smith and Calhoun did it what were the interior and exterior reactions?

I remember they (news reporting like ESPN) were singing praises at the time on how selfless Dean Smith was to retire this way to ensure his long time assistant gets a shot on the HC experience.

That's just reporting from the outside, I have no idea how the NC fans and student body looked at it.

It all depends on whether JB is more loyal to the school or his loyal assistants, and he may believe doing one is the same as doing the other.?
the bonetards were ecstatic; believed ollie would be a championship coach for the next 2 decades

Could Hart get the HC job @ UW if we pick Hop?
i think every pac12 school would be smart to at least interview him
but would u-dub want another syracuse guy?
and would j want that gig after seeing absolute top notch recruiters like hop & romar struggle there?
i don't think either would be at the top of each other's lists

My (worthless) $0.02:
I like to think that JAB is too classy to pull the Bo Ryan-Greg Gard hijinks. A move like that, after 45+ years, is so unbecoming and/or divisive that it could shake the program’s foundation he built for five decades (see UConn) and tarnish his own legacy.

Why do something that selfish when you know you have one of the top, process-driven and forthright ADs in college sports in place (and there are not many out there, trust me). An AD that he likes and would likely be able to have a place in the conversation (to offer his wise opinion). This is not Gross. This is Wildhack. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Wildhack was hired to make 2-3 big decisions and he has the backing of Kent and the BOT. I don’t know this, but my best read is that Wildhack is in greater standing with Kent and the BOT than JAB (if JAB, hypothetically, is perceived as undermining Wildhack’s process, he will lose any voice in the matter).

In the end, Wildhack will make the decision: Hopkins, Autry or G-Mac. It will stay in house. Timing and final name to be determined.

Why let someone else do it when you can do it yourself? The person in charge of the basketball program the last forty five years and the one responsible for taking it from a regional program to a national brand is Jim Boeheim, not John Wildhack. Why let the guy who’s been here five minutes make the call?

Why let someone else do it when you can do it yourself? The person in charge of the basketball program the last forty five years and the one responsible for taking it from a regional program to a national brand is Jim Boeheim, not John Wildhack. Why let the guy who’s been here five minutes make the call?
He has also brought untold sums of positive recognition to the university and is the greatest coach in the universities history.

Joe Godley sells programs. Bullhorn religious guy yells at you that you're going to hell. Mike Veley is on the PA. Boeheim recruits and coaches. Wildhack hires and fires coaches. Everyone has their role/job to do.

Because JB's unwavering loyalty to the "family" might bias his judgment? The best case scenario for the long term good of the program is to let Wildhack control the entire process simply because he is John Wildhack. I'm sure JB's voice will be heard loud and clear, and will carry weight.

My (worthless) $0.02:

If you and Kent think that John Wildhack knows more about college basketball than Jim Boeheim, then your both out to lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom