JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because JB's unwavering loyalty to the "family" might bias his judgment? The best case scenario for the long term good of the program is to let Wildhack control the entire process simply because he is John Wildhack. I'm sure JB's voice will be heard loud and clear, and will carry weight.

Im trying to give a reason from JBs point of view why he would try and go over Wildhacks head. It’s obvious to anyone that hes going to be biased.

Regardless the AD is one who offers the contract.

Ngl if we went outside of the family for HC and the assistants I’d watch a ton less SU. I enjoy it for the family aspect the program has

If you and Kent think that John Wildhack knows more about college basketball than Jim Boeheim, then your both out to lunch.
You forget that JB isn’t paying the next coach 2-3 million dollars. You better believe that Kent and Wildhack are making the decision. Kent and the BOT have to sign off on everything. JB is lucky he’s still here. He’s used up all his collateral at SU.

Ngl if we went outside of the family for HC and the assistants I’d watch a ton less SU. I enjoy it for the family aspect the program has

So - when we had “not 100% family aspect”coaching staff -
you know, like when Troy Weaver recruited Carmelo, and/or when Rob “Shut it Down” Murphy were here -
you didn’t enjoy the program as much? :rolleyes:

(PS - IF Troy Weaver hadn’t left when he did, we had an excellent shot at landing Kevin Durant. I think we all would have enjoyed the AF outta that.)

Me? I’d rather win more games, and have the best staff & players possible.
Being a former Orange guard not a prerequisite for that.

So - when we had “not 100% family aspect”coaching staff -
you know, like when Troy Weaver recruited Carmelo, and/or when Rob “Shut it Down” Murphy were here -
you didn’t enjoy the program as much? :rolleyes:

(PS - IF Troy Weaver hadn’t left when he did, we had an excellent shot at landing Kevin Durant. I think we all would have enjoyed the AF outta that.)

Me? I’d rather win more games, and have the best staff & players possible.
Being a former Orange guard not a prerequisite for that.
I was 4 years old in 2003.. I didn’t start watching really till around 2010

I think deep down the main reason I don't want JB influencing the next coaching decision is because I don't want not getting along with JB to be a disqualifier.

Like if an extremely qualified coaching candidate is the best option for the job but they and JB don't like each other on a personal level... I just don't care. I want them here.

If you and Kent think that John Wildhack knows more about college basketball than Jim Boeheim, then your both out to lunch.
You forget that JB isn’t paying the next coach 2-3 million dollars. You better believe that Kent and Wildhack are making the decision. Kent and the BOT have to sign off on everything. JB is lucky he’s still here. He’s used up all his collateral at SU.

JB will be their first call when the BOT and JW want to get additional donations. His line of credit at SU is just fine thanks.

JB will be their first call when the BOT and JW want to get additional donations. His line of credit at SU is just fine thanks.
They will be happy to take his money but he won’t name the next coach.

He was absolutely coming back East if Hop took over here. 1000% sure it. Would he do it now? Good question.
Agree. To be clear I was referring to JHart being a head coach .

Not defending Gmac, but it could also be easier to recruit without a stuck in their ways plays 6.5 guys head coach.

On the other hand, not defending Boeheim, but in theory it should be easier to recruit when you're a hall of fame with a good rep rather than an unproven guy who's only had one job on increasingly bad teams.

(Though I get your point about the negative recruiting; I just think McNamara's floor is so much lower than Boeheim's.)

RF- you know how much I acknowledge your wisdom and insights with regard to SU hoops...
that said, and maybe you do have a direct line to/from the AD, but I just think you're really underestimating both the power that JB (along w key alum/donors/prominent impresarios) will ultimately wield in the process as well as the relative lack of power the AD will be able to wield.
We shall see

We saw the relative power imbalance four years ago, IMO.

On the other hand, not defending Boeheim, but in theory it should be easier to recruit when you're a hall of fame with a good rep rather than an unproven guy who's only had one job on increasingly bad teams.

(Though I get your point about the negative recruiting; I just think McNamara's floor is so much lower than Boeheim's.)

It's hard to recruit when you are on double secret probation. Red, McNamara, Hop, whoever, well get a brand new NCAA infraction punch card to use.

not i; i don't think it is necessary at all. i think a red autry or a jason hart could probably step into a p5 job and have as good a shot at succeeding there as could any mid-major coach looking to step up. there are plenty of examples of assistants going straight to hc & doing well, as well as plenty of examples of experienced hcs face planting.

there is no perfect, fool proof model. athletic directors come up with whatever process they like, hire someone, hope for the best, and live with the results

I think you two are saying different things: saying that Jason Hart could jump in and be as prepared as a mid-major head coach is true, I believe; it'd also be good for McNamara (especially) or Autry to go diversify their experience in order to be better qualified to coach at SU.

Only having had one job under the same coach in the same program is like getting your bachelor's and grad degree at the same school: not ideal. Better to go out and learn something new.

He was absolutely coming back East if Hop took over here. 1000% sure it. Would he do it now? Good question.
I could totally see these two linking up. They were enjoying themselves and very candid with me at the EYBL in Atlanta a couple years ago.

Why let someone else do it when you can do it yourself? The person in charge of the basketball program the last forty five years and the one responsible for taking it from a regional program to a national brand is Jim Boeheim, not John Wildhack. Why let the guy who’s been here five minutes make the call?

Its not JB's job. Being a great coach yourself doesn't mean you can be a good judge of new coaches.

Michael Jordan is the GOAT in basketball, every player he drafted as part of the Wizards or Bobcats organization was a bust. The greatest players keep finding lemons why? He knows how to play doesn't mean he can judge others.

Its not JB's job. Being a great coach yourself doesn't mean you can be a good judge of new coaches.

Michael Jordan is the GOAT in basketball, every player he drafted as part of the Wizards or Bobcats organization was a bust. The greatest players keep finding lemons why? He knows how to play doesn't mean he can judge others.

I guess the question is will Boeheim see it that way when the time comes?

well the elf has john wildhack ever shown that makes so many think he'll pluck a golden goose from the flock? for all his skills & experience, he has never had a responsibility like this.

i can't believe anyone not colored by some kind of bias would honestly think he has an iota of the acumen jb possesses when it comes to identifying who can helm the program that he built.

i mean, come on. get over yourselves.

Last edited:
well the elf has john wildhack ever shown that makes so many think he'll pluck a golden goose from the flock? for all his skills & experience, he has never had a responsibility like this.

i can't believe anyone not colored by some kind of bias would honestly think he has an iota of the acumen jb possesses when it comes to identifying who can helm the program that he built.

i mean, come on. get over yourselves.

JB’s coaching acumen has exactly ZERO bearing on his ability - or lack thereof - of identifying the next coach.

Moreover - it’s not his job to do so.

You think Wildhack got to be the number 2 guy at ESPN by accident or something?
He knows just a little bit about the business of sports.

JB’s coaching acumen has exactly ZERO bearing on his ability - or lack thereof - of identifying the next coach.

Moreover - it’s not his job to do so.

You think Wildhack got to be the number 2 guy at ESPN by accident or something?
He knows just a little bit about the business of sports.
Correct. Furthermore, do you think he came to SU to be a prop? I mean, say what you will, but Wildhack’s contract was extended in August 2020 because he’s provided solid leadership to date and SU’s power players wanted him off the market in the midst of the ACC’s search for a new Commissioner. That extension was not random. Kent and the BOT want him making the most consequential decision on behalf of SU Athletics.

As for Moqui’s post above, Wildhack will be tasked with hiring a basketball coach, not to perform open heart surgery. This decision, whenever it comes, does have its own complexitites. It will be an important choice. But it should be made within a process with as little emotion and bias as possible. JAB cannot deliver any of that (and his renownced G-Mac CIW notion proves that). Wildhack can and will. I am certain that this was discussed leading into Wilhack’s hiring in 2016. Nothing has changed. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Lastly, why do you think that the role of General Managers exist in sports such as baseball, football, NBA hoops and hockey? Think about that here.

Yes, Bill Bellichek is an outlier. And Bill Parcells had a nifty little quote about picking his own groceries to make dinner, but he didn’t win anything of consequence that George Young didn’t set up. What about the other 130 or so pro franchises? General managers exist because it is the proper way to do business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors