Jersey Retirement Question | Syracusefan.com

Jersey Retirement Question

mlbball99

2nd String
Seeing Shrader's words yesterday really hit yesterday. The dude gave everything he had to the program. So similar to Dungey.

Had me thinking, do either of Shrader or Dungey (or both) get their jersey retired one day in the Dome?

Here's some stats:

Shrader
39 Pass TDs, 5,771 yards
31 Rush TDs 1,684 yards

Dungey
58 Pass TDs, 9,340 yards
35 Rush TDs, 1,993 yards

Nassib
70 Pass TDs, 9,190 yards
5 Rush TDs, 168 yards

McNabb
77 Pass TDs, 8,389 yards
19 Rush TDs, 1,561 yards

McPherson
46 Pass TDs, 5,812 yards
18 Rush TDs, 1,284 yards

Graves
48 Pass TDs, 8,466 yards
17 Rush TDs, 289 yards

1703013507900.jpeg

“What’s this I hear about retiring from New Jersey? That’s where we’re getting some hotshot recruits from! It’s just plain disgraceful to be even thinking about It.”

Shrader just didn't win enough sadly. I think had he stayed healthy he'd be in this conversation, and he'll always be a fan favorite and one of my personal favs, but his career is just not in the same class as McNabb or Dungey.

Here's my list:
Hurley: yes
McPherson: yes
Graves: yes
McNabb: yes
Nassib: no
Dungey: yes
Shrader: no
Nassib had a stellar jump in his senior year. That's probably a fair list though. As much as I loved Dungey though I might take him off the list as well.

Why Hurley?
Maybe he doesn't belong either. He was the QB when I first started following SU football at about 10 years old. There's a good chance I've romanticized his playing days. From what i recall, he was a tremendous athlete and he got some national recognition and was invited to some all-star games, which was a really big deal in the late 70s at a time when SU was never on TV.

Last edited:
Maybe he doesn't belong either. He was the QB when I first started following SU football at about 10 years old. There's a good chance I've romanticized his palting days. From what i recall, he was a tremendous athlete and he got some national recognition and was invited to some all-star games, which was a really big deal in the late 70s at a time when SU was never on TV.
I watched him too. Solid QB. Mostly a runner. Not spectacular

Maybe he doesn't belong either. He was the QB when I first started following SU football at about 10 years old. There's a good chance I've romanticized his playing days. From what i recall, he was a tremendous athlete and he got some national recognition and was invited to some all-star games, which was a really big deal in the late 70s at a time when SU was never on TV.
The legendary Bud Wilkinson described Hurley as the best option QB ever. He’s far more qualified than I am to make such a statement but Hurley was great. He also tends to be underrated by our fan base along with Jim Collins and Joe Morris.

Here's my list:
Hurley: yes
McPherson: yes
Graves: yes
McNabb: yes
Nassib: no
Dungey: yes
Shrader: no
Hurley was a bit before my time so I'll defer to you on him, but 100% agree with the rest of your list.

Shrader just didn't win enough sadly. I think had he stayed healthy he'd be in this conversation, and he'll always be a fan favorite and one of my personal favs, but his career is just not in the same class as McNabb or Dungey.
or Graves

McNabb and McPherson are already retired.

Graves.

Maybe Anderson or Szmyt.

Maybe Paul, Abrams, Bulluck, Harrison, or Flannery.
Woah I guess I just thought Marvin was retired, that’s a crime. I wonder why.

I hope people don't think a guy's jersey needs to be in the rafters for him to be loved and respected by the fanbase. I also hate the idea of comparing numbers here. These guys played in different eras in different offenses. As close as McNabb was to Graves, even his offense had some significant differences than what Graves ran, and the differences have only grown since. As others have pointed out, if you put McNabb in a modern college offense, he would have had the video game numbers we've seen other guys like Jayden Daniels have.

McNabb and Mcpherson are no brainers.

I'd put Graves there too. He led some great teams. Despite a pretty pedestrian TD:int ratio he still had really good passer ratings. When I look at the yards per attempt, it suggests he was asked to make a lot more risky throws than the guys now with all the short slants and screens that are run.

I'd probably say yes to Dungey too. He didn't have as much to work with as the guys above and carried the team whenever he played. We could see the dropoff when he got hurt.

I would say no to Nassib, but I can see where others can make an argument to include him. He was a significant part of getting us from laughing stocks to respectable, was part of two bowl teams, and had some really good numbers. For me, the eye test tells me he didn't have as much on his shoulders as the other guys we've had.

Shrader could have been there if he could've been healthy. Life isn't fair and it certainly isn't in sports. It's too bad because he was a warrior and, when he was healthy, he made so many plays out of nothing.

I'll let others talk about Hurley. He was before my time.

Woah I guess I just thought Marvin was retired, that’s a crime. I wonder why.

I’d put the likelihood Harrison gets a jersey in the rafters at about 0.01%. In the rare cases he’s talked about Syracuse, it has not been positive - I think he’d have no interest in coming to a retirement ceremony. Since it’s a bit of a marketing push when they do these, that makes his improbable to ever happen.

I’d put the likelihood Harrison gets a jersey in the rafters at about 0.01%. In the rare cases he’s talked about Syracuse, it has not been positive - I think he’d have no interest in coming to a retirement ceremony. Since it’s a bit of a marketing push when they do these, that makes his improbable to ever happen.
Sorry, I meant Graves. My bad

Seeing Shrader's words yesterday really hit yesterday. The dude gave everything he had to the program. So similar to Dungey.

Had me thinking, do either of Shrader or Dungey (or both) get their jersey retired one day in the Dome?

Here's some stats:

Shrader
39 Pass TDs, 5,771 yards
31 Rush TDs 1,684 yards

Dungey
58 Pass TDs, 9,340 yards
35 Rush TDs, 1,993 yards

Nassib
70 Pass TDs, 9,190 yards
5 Rush TDs, 168 yards

McNabb
77 Pass TDs, 8,389 yards
19 Rush TDs, 1,561 yards

McPherson
46 Pass TDs, 5,812 yards
18 Rush TDs, 1,284 yards

Graves
48 Pass TDs, 8,466 yards
17 Rush TDs, 289 yards
I love Garrett Shrader.

I will always remember his last game in the Dome - somehow willing himself to play QB and to defeat WF to get to a bowl game.

He had many great moments for the Orange.

The legendary Bud Wilkinson described Hurley as the best option QB ever. He’s far more qualified than I am to make such a statement but Hurley was great. He also tends to be underrated by our fan base along with Jim Collins and Joe Morris.
Wally mahle maybe