Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need multiple big money donors to compete consistently at this level now with the NIL. Those schools you mentioned mostly had success (if you csn even call it that) under the old system pre NIL when you could have success without major money backing you up. Those days are long over. Of course there will be some one offs like SDSU this year and FAU but those are Cinderella one year flukes. Again half those schools you mentioned didn't even make the tourney this year and will have difficulty competing consistently moving forward without the ability to have a high value NIL program.
so I give an example list of schools who have done well recently without mega donors and the concern is history. Then I give another list of schools who have had success both historically and recently but the concern is they haven’t been successful enough recently? Purdue’s third straight top 4 seed, Nova a two seed last year and UConn winning a national championship this year…

I’m not sure I follow how those examples aren’t the exact blueprint for Syracuse's success.

All of those schools are relevant programs. All were in the NCAA tourney this year. Marquette was a #2 seed. They’re not blue bloods, but they often contend for tourney bids.

Marquette finally had a good year for the first time since Buzz left and didn't exactly have a stunning tourney peformance. The rest of the schools are decent but almost all are just happy to make the ncas tournament

It's not my opinion that Waters was inducted in the college basketball writers Hall of Fame. That is a fact. A great accomplishment. It is not my opinion that both Mike Waters and Donna were both named New York Sports writers of the year. That is a fact. That is going up against all of those guys and girls working in NYC. Not my opinion. A fact.
I have great respect for both of them. Were they bullied by JB during their years covering him? No doubt. Many were. And it affected coverage. It’s also true neither excel with day to day coverage, recruiting and breaking news. Fact.

I have great respect for both of them. Were they bullied by JB during their years covering him? No doubt. Many were. And it affected coverage. It’s also true neither excel with day to day coverage, recruiting and breaking news. Fact.
No It is not a fact. It is your opinion. One that is not shared by the professionals in the business. I don't have to go over their awards again do I? Oh, and Waters was nominated again this past year for New York Sportswriter of the year.

so I give an example list of schools who have done well recently without mega donors and the concern is history. Then I give another list of schools who have had success both historically and recently but the concern is they haven’t been successful enough recently? Purdue’s third straight top 4 seed, Nova a two seed last year and UConn winning a national championship this year…

I’m not sure I follow how those examples aren’t the exact blueprint for Syracuse's success.

Again the NIL is just in its 2nd year your acting like these schools have had success 10 years in.

Purdue is a B10 team that has a good sized NIL program, not sure why your listing them but if you wanna count them fine. Nova would be your best example but without Wright and the lack of a big NIL their likely to look more like the mediocre team you saw this year. Uconn hasn't done a thing under Hurley until this year ( literally hadn't won a tourney game). He has done a good job of getting 4 star recruits and used the portal well this offseason. That said they are likely to run into problems moving forward as the cash discrepancy between the P5 schools and the non fball conferences continues to grow exponentially. It remains to be seen if Uconn will be able to raise the NIL funds to compete against B10, SEC and ACC schools for recruits.

Okay, the insiders on the board were pretty sure that Jesse was returning and then the insiders on the board are now doubting what they believe to be true 6-11 days ago.

if the latter is true, then it is up to the coaching staff to adjust and hopefully fill Jesse‘s vacancy with the best they can through the portal, recruiting, Europe, etc.

If they can not fill the vacancy this summer, they will have to adapt. Give Autry a chance to recruit, plan and coach the team he has. We may have a hole at C and F but with the right combination of players the holes can be filled.

Even with Judah and Jesse returning and JJ coming aboard, Syracuse was not a whole lot better than 2022-2023. There are supported plans to bring in quality in 2024. Syracuse may or may not be a NCAA tournament team in 2023-2024. Let’s see what Coach Autry and his staff bring in.

I am not a journalist…

But don’t you need two sources to corroborate a story before going public? Unless the one source is the actual person?

I am not a journalist…

But don’t you need two sources to corroborate a story before going public? Unless the one source is the actual person?
That is a standard but media has softened on that over the years. When I was at Newhouse, the rule was get it right. If you are first, that's great. Now, it's get it first. If you get it right, that's great.

Okay, the insiders on the board were pretty sure that Jesse was returning and then the insiders on the board are now doubting what they believe to be true 6-11 days ago.

if the latter is true, then it is up to the coaching staff to adjust and hopefully fill Jesse‘s vacancy with the best they can through the portal, recruiting, Europe, etc.

If they can not fill the vacancy this summer, they will have to adapt. Give Autry a chance to recruit, plan and coach the team he has. We may have a hole at C and F but with the right combination of players the holes can be filled.

Even with Judah and Jesse returning and JJ coming aboard, Syracuse was not a whole lot better than 2022-2023. There are supported plans to bring in quality in 2024. Syracuse may or may not be a NCAA tournament team in 2023-2024. Let’s see what Coach Autry and his staff bring in.
We can’t afford another disaster season. Things were looking somewhat promising for this year. And now…

I’ll root for players that want to play at SU. If he wants to play somewhere else, god bless. Next man up. It’s not the end of the world. Hima was better defensively than Jesse. Partially because he didn’t have to worry about fouls. He may be in a much different role next year. Who knows.

FWIW. I think we should focuse more on better passers. Underrated skill.

There’s a part of me that wonders at the the avalanche of response to to one article with one source/insider as if it’s an absolute truth that Jesse is not coming back… that seemingly runs counter to all of the other insiders/sources/news outlets & has no other corroborating sources to back it? I don’t know man… it just seems a little out of place, that only one person seemingly knows this juicy bit of info. I think for me it’s just wait & see for now… some things not lining up. I put a lot of stock in the history & accuracy of many on this board when it comes to their inside connections, none of them have heard yet this is the case with Jesse.

Edit: Yep, I was wrong in this take… I’ll own that. Hand me that L!

Last edited:
Could it be that we r struggling to get money to Jesse because of the Visa issue and not going on a out of the country trip? Another school has figured out a way to get him his coin so he's thinking of transferring?

No It is not a fact. It is your opinion. One that is not shared by the professionals in the business. I don't have to go over their awards again do I? Oh, and Waters was nominated again this past year for New York Sportswriter of the year.
You can win awards like that without killing it on a day to day basis. Good writer, great guy, does a fine job covering the team. But the coverage lacks the inside look this program deserves. It’s not where I turn when I want to know what’s really happening.

It's a fact that what you wrote is an opinion.
LOL He might as well have said they can't write on deadline. That would complete the nonsense. It is actually funny. It must be a great wonder to him why the top pros in that business award this great awards to them. I think I know where this is coming from with him. You see it in every business.

I’ll root for players that want to play at SU. If he wants to play somewhere else, god bless. Next man up. It’s not the end of the world. Hima was better defensively than Jesse. Partially because he didn’t have to worry about fouls. He may be in a much different role next year. Who knows.

FWIW. I think we should focuse more on better passers. Underrated skill.
You’re not serious, right?

You can win awards like that without killing it on a day to day basis. Good writer, great guy, does a fine job covering the team. But the coverage lacks the inside look this program deserves. It’s not where I turn when I want to know what’s really happening.
Yeah, that's it. LOL As I said, throw in they can't write on deadline. Hall of Fame. Sportswriter of the year. You know.

That is a standard but media has softened on that over the years. When I was at Newhouse, the rule was get it right. If you are first, that's great. Now, it's get it first. If you get it right, that's great.
There are no standards for media any longer. Main stream or dark web. Although dark web at least has an incentive to be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom