Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 96 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
To each his own but from my view he was over utilized in some games.
I'd have taken all of the too many mid to long range 2's away from Joe, Benny and Bell and given them to Jesse down low at 60% fg

It is very hard to follow Jesse’s conversation.

Is he already a politician because he is not too sure about the how, why, where and what he is doing?

Best question was If there was no NIL, would he stay be at Syracuse? Too bad he could not give a coherent response.

Give him some credit for at least trying to discuss his decisions.
I can’t watch. It’s too painful. But it sounds like the decision is being made for him by someone else, based on what people have been saying. Come on, Pops, let your kid show some loyalty if he’d rather stay at Cuse. I mean, how much are we talking here in $$$ difference? Jesse can make bank over in Europe for another 10 years. He’s gonna make a lot of money either way, including in NIL for Cuse, and end up wealthy. Unless this is a $2 million offer vs a 500K offer (highly unlikely), I don’t see why he wouldn’t return to Syracuse. Money can’t replace the memories you make in college. And he’ll still have plenty of money and never have to worry.

Last edited:
I can’t watch. It’s too painful. But it sounds like the decision is being made for him by someone else, based on what people have been saying. Come on, Pops, let your kid show some loyalty if he’d rather stay at Cuse. I mean, how much are we talking here in $$$ difference? Jesse can make bank over in Europe for another 10 years. He’s gonna make a lot of money either way, including in NIL for Cuse, and end up wealthy. Unless this is a $2 million offer (highly unlikely), I don’t see why he wouldn’t return to Syracuse. Money can’t replace the memories you make in college. And he’ll still have plenty of money and never have to worry.
How many people would pass up $200k+ at that or any age? 5%?

It was this morning earlier- posted in this thread
Thanks. I was still sleep when it was posted. I watched it and it's clear that he was either nervous or doesn't know how to talk. His camp should not have put him in a position where he's doing on camera interviews until he's more refined and polished. It was difficult to sit through because of his lack of media training.

Thanks. I was still sleep when it was posted. I watched it and it's clear that he was either nervous or doesn't know how to talk. His camp should not have put him in a position where he's doing on camera interviews until he's more refined and polished. It was difficult to sit through because of his lack of media training.

Yep... and you could tell he lacked confidence in his answers too. Definitely trying to not let his dad get a bad rap. I truly hope that the program he chooses takes care of him and doesn't take him for a ride with false advertising.

There is some real irony in Jesse’s story. Jesse came in as a freshman, a choice many fans and experts questioned at the time preferring a grad transfer but the coaches were very high on him. At 188 lbs, fans were more than skeptical. JB always preferred developing freshman with potential rather than using transfers, unless necessary. Would a freshman Jesse in 2024 get the time and opportunity to develop from his freshman year at a P5 program in the new NIL age rather than programs opting for a much more physical, ready, experienced, plug in player like he is in his Covid year, from the transfer portal? Irony?

There is a real irony in Jesse’s story. Jesse came in as a freshman, a choice many fans and experts questioned at the time but the coaches were very high on him. At 188 lbs, fans were more than skeptical. JB always preferred developing freshman with potential rather than using transfers, unless necessary. Would a freshman Jesse in 2024 get the time and opportunity to develop from his freshman year at a P5 program in the new NIL age rather than programs opting for a much more physical, ready, experienced, plug in player like he is in his Covid year, from the transfer portal?

I don't think so. At a mid major yes but in P6 these days... not unless they are very patient. Carey and Patterson will be a test of that theory I think.

like leaving a job for for more money, grass is not always greener and a lot of folks end up regretting it. personally think a long term view would be better for him as he knows his role at SU, the players and would have put up massive numbers. Big risk IMO for future pro payday, not to mention long term education and general happiness.
It’s really not much of a risk at all. All his tape at Cuse still exists. At his age, there’s very little downside to diversifying experience , broadening connections and living life. It’s exactly the time to try something out of your comfort zone. If we’re being honest, all of us would probably be a little better at life if we spent one of our college years somewhere different. And he gets to choose a situation that suits him so it’s not exactly random or rolling dice.

I don't think so. At a mid major yes but in P6 these days... not unless they are very patient. Carey and Patterson will be a test of that theory I think.
My opinion is Carey has to show them something worthwhile next season or he could be portal bound (which is fine).

He is going to go to a top program, that's already baked in the cake. Personally, I hope he goes to WV with Huggy and they win the title.
well its also baked in the cake that he wont win a title...bookmark this post if you dont think so

Jesse has a jump shot out to 8 ft roughly. It just wasn't featured. His bball iq is most certainly not low and he did pretty well passing out of the post and double teams this year given it was the first year he saw it regularly. The rest is mostly accurate to an extent.
his bball IQ is a strength in your opinion?

dunking doesnt take much brainpower

well its also baked in the cake that he wont win a title...bookmark this post if you dont think so
I swear SU has to have the only fans that hope our good players go to other programs and win a championship. LOL. Can you imagine reading on a UM board, “Personally, I hope Hunter goes to Syracuse and they win the title”? What a joke.

his bball IQ is a strength in your opinion?

dunking doesnt take much brainpower
Well with the clock winding down he did have the awareness to make his one 3. He also got better this year passing the ball out to the perimeter having 7 games with 3 or more assists. He was 11th in the nation for total rebounds/game (2nd in the ACC), 6th in the nation for blocks per game (1st in the ACC). Knowing where to be, shows basketball IQ.

I wonder what the delta was from our offer to Jesse, and Bacot's deal with UNC.

I hope Hunter goes to Syracuse and they win the title
Me too!!!

You Rock GIF

...Would a freshman Jesse in 2024 get the time and opportunity to develop from his freshman year at a P5 program in the new NIL age ...?
Really good question.
As someone else mentioned...Peter Carey may be a great test case.
He has a tremendous upside.
Can the Orange develop it?
Coaches who specialize in development may get a different kind of player...people they can build around and whom fans come to know.

I wonder what the delta was from our offer to Jesse, and Bacot's deal with UNC.

Bacot has multiple deals. Not sure how much their collective gave him but most of his NIL comes from stand alone deals with companies. Last year it was about $500k total.

I have turned down more money multiple times in the last 10 years to stay in CNY as crazy as that sounds. One time it was for significantly more than I make. I don’t regret it at all. There is more to life than the total amount of money in your bank accounts and stuff you have.

For the record I blame SU and Jesse equally. Hope Jesse makes a fortune to offset those cold nights playing in Siberia in two years.
I don't think it's crazy at all. I've been to lots of places. CNY has a lot going for it. I will grant that it isn't for everyone.

So Weistman is welcome to contribute to a collective like anyone else, but he doesn't want to do that.

Fair interpretation?

When a guy hires Scoop Jardine to do an ad for his car dealership, is he getting publicity?

Isn't that the very point of NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS rights - to endorse products & services?

Otherwise, "It's Just Getting a Bag", and it's "illegal" /s/.

If Weitsman is smart enough to want publicity in the MEDIUM OF THE DAY, is he to be shunned for that?

Where does everyone think our prospective recruits spend their time? Writing letters, or watching TV commercials?

Weitsman was DOING US A SERVICE by making SU hoops games seem like "Events" again, when the place was half empty.

He gave us visibility with the "cool kids" on social. He helped us try to grow back our brand.

Now, what are we going to get? New NIL Benefactors could not, or were not smart enough to figure out HOW to legally write a check TO KEEP OUR OWN DAMN GUY!

How do you think that looks nationally? How is that going to play in recruiting circles?

"Syracuse is so damn broke, they COULDN'T EVEN KEEP THEIR OWN GUY, who REALLY wanted to stay", and waited patiently while nobody stepped up to replace the benefactor Syverud chased away.

WELL DONE!

Syracuse is now a "Selling Club", in soccer parlance. They develop players to be bought by bigger schools, once they get good enough.

It's not enough that we lose marginal talent after a year or two; now we can't even keep the PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE HERE.

I can understand losing our top 2 "returning" DBs to bigger schools, because you can't expect a private school like us to REALLY pay money to football players, because, honestly, it takes 25-30 players, and we just don't have those deep pockets

Hoops, however - you only need a couple guys! Just a couple guys, not 20 or 30.
We had a guy who wanted to buy what we were selling.
What is it that marketing guys say? "It's easier to sell to the customer you already have, than it is to sell to the one you don't."

What is the "replacement cost" of not putting together an NIL package for Jesse. Isn't SU the school who was the first to start teaching this as a major???

We've got like 30 days or so to make a couple big splashes for Autry on the NIL front, or he is done as a coach before he even begins.

This feels to me like the first time we got passed over for the ACC. I feel like we are in BIG trouble as a program.

I swear SU has to have the only fans that hope our good players go to other programs and win a championship. LOL. Can you imagine reading on a UM board, “Personally, I hope Hunter goes to Syracuse and they win the title”? What a joke.
Could you imagine anyone caring? Fans want to support him at the new school? Good for them. you dont? Good for you.

When a guy hires Scoop Jardine to do an ad for his car dealership, is he getting publicity?

Isn't that the very point of NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS rights - to endorse products & services?

Otherwise, "It's Just Getting a Bag", and it's "illegal" /s/.

If Weitsman is smart enough to want publicity in the MEDIUM OF THE DAY, is he to be shunned for that?

Where does everyone think our prospective recruits spend their time? Writing letters, or watching TV commercials?

Weitsman was DOING US A SERVICE by making SU hoops games seem like "Events" again, when the place was half empty.

He gave us visibility with the "cool kids" on social. He helped us try to grow back our brand

Now, what are we going to get? New NIL Benefactors could not, or were not smart enough to figure out HOW to legally write a check TO KEEP OUR OWN DAMN GUY!

How do you think that looks nationally? How is that going to play in recruiting circles?

"Syracuse is so damn broke, they COULDN'T EVEN KEEP THEIR OWN GUY, who REALLY wanted to stay, and waited patiently while nobody stepped up to replace the benefactor Syverud chased away.

WELL DONE!

Syracuse is now a "Selling Club", in soccer parlance. They develop players to be bought by bigger schools, once they get good enough.

It's not enough that we lose marginal talent after a year or two; now we can't even keep the PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE HERE.

I can understand losing our top 2 "returning" DBs to bigger schools, because you can't expect a private school like us to REALLY pay money to football players, because, honestly, it takes 25-30 players, and we just don't have those deep pockets

Hoops, however - you only need a couple guys! Just a couple guys, not 20 or 30.
We had a guy who wanted to buy what we were selling.
What is it that marketing guys say? "It's easier to sell to the customer you already have, than it is to sell to the one you don't."

What is the "replacement cost" of not putting together an NIL package for Jesse. Isn't SU the school who was the first to start teaching this as a major???

We've got like 30 days or so to make a couple big splashes for Autry on the NIL front, or he is done as a coach before he even begins.

This feels to me like the first time we got passed over for the ACC. I feel like we are in BIG trouble as a program.

kiss ass GIF

He's seemingly done the right thing here. People are mad and lashing out.

How has he "done the right thing"?

Is the entire purpose of people licensing NAME IMAGE & LIKENESS rights for purposes of publicity for the advertiser?

I mean, are you unaware of all the commercials on sports programs on TV?

What is it you think the athletes are selling, if not their endorsement rights?

Weitsman is smart enough to want that visibility in the medium of the day, not in freaking newspapers or magazines, or lame local TV commercials.

Do the Lakers not show Jack Nicholson at courtside? Do the Knicks not show Spike Lee?

Why do people think people are willing to spend all this money in the first place?

FOR PUBLICITY!!!! I feel like I'm a crazy person, listening to all these church mouses "tut tutting" about appearances.

How many times have we been on probation? Has any other school had wins taken away from their coach? Screw that !!!

Who really cares?? Either compete or go home. This ain't the Ivy's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors