Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 97 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you imagine anyone caring? Fans want to support him at the new school? Good for them. you dont? Good for you.
Well, personally, I'm hoping that Syracuse wins the title next year. Not WVU.

When a guy hires Scoop Jardine to do an ad for his car dealership, is he getting publicity?

Isn't that the very point of NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS rights - to endorse products & services?

Otherwise, "It's Just Getting a Bag", and it's "illegal" /s/.

If Weitsman is smart enough to want publicity in the MEDIUM OF THE DAY, is he to be shunned for that?

Where does everyone think our prospective recruits spend their time? Writing letters, or watching TV commercials?

Weitsman was DOING US A SERVICE by making SU hoops games seem like "Events" again, when the place was half empty.

He gave us visibility with the "cool kids" on social. He helped us try to grow back our brand.

Now, what are we going to get? New NIL Benefactors could not, or were not smart enough to figure out HOW to legally write a check TO KEEP OUR OWN DAMN GUY!

How do you think that looks nationally? How is that going to play in recruiting circles?

"Syracuse is so damn broke, they COULDN'T EVEN KEEP THEIR OWN GUY, who REALLY wanted to stay", and waited patiently while nobody stepped up to replace the benefactor Syverud chased away.

WELL DONE!

Syracuse is now a "Selling Club", in soccer parlance. They develop players to be bought by bigger schools, once they get good enough.

It's not enough that we lose marginal talent after a year or two; now we can't even keep the PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE HERE.

I can understand losing our top 2 "returning" DBs to bigger schools, because you can't expect a private school like us to REALLY pay money to football players, because, honestly, it takes 25-30 players, and we just don't have those deep pockets

Hoops, however - you only need a couple guys! Just a couple guys, not 20 or 30.
We had a guy who wanted to buy what we were selling.
What is it that marketing guys say? "It's easier to sell to the customer you already have, than it is to sell to the one you don't."

What is the "replacement cost" of not putting together an NIL package for Jesse. Isn't SU the school who was the first to start teaching this as a major???

We've got like 30 days or so to make a couple big splashes for Autry on the NIL front, or he is done as a coach before he even begins.

This feels to me like the first time we got passed over for the ACC. I feel like we are in BIG trouble as a program.

Are you a week behind? How?

When a guy hires Scoop Jardine to do an ad for his car dealership, is he getting publicity?

Isn't that the very point of NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS rights - to endorse products & services?

If Weitsman is smart enough to want publicity in the MEDIUM OF THE DAY, is he to be shunned for that?

Where does everyone think our prospective recruits spend their time? Writing letters, or watching TV commercials?

Weitsman was DOING US A SERVICE by making SU hoops games seem like "Events" again, when the place was half empty.

He gave us visibility with the "cool kids" on social. He helped us try to grow back our brand.

Now, what are we going to get? New NIL Benefactors could not, or were not smart enough to figure out HOW to legally write a check TO KEEP OUR OWN DAMN GUY!

How do you think that looks nationally? How is that going to play in recruiting circles?

"Syracuse is so damn broke, they COULDN'T EVEN KEEP THEIR OWN GUY, who REALLY wanted to stay", and waited patiently while nobody stepped up to replace the benefactor Syverud chased away.

WELL DONE!

Syracuse is now a "Selling Club", in soccer parlance. They develop players to be bought by bigger schools, once they get good enough.

It's not enough that we lose marginal talent after a year or two; now we can't even keep the PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE HERE.

I can understand losing our top 2 "returning" DBs to bigger schools, because you can't expect a private school like us to REALLY pay money to football players, because, honestly, it takes 25-30 players, and we just don't have those deep pockets

What is it that marketing guys say? "It's easier to sell to the customer you already have, than it is to sell to the one you don't."

What is the "replacement cost" of not putting together an NIL package for Jesse. Isn't SU the school who was the first to start teaching this as a major???

We've got like 30 days or so to make a couple big splashes for Autry on the NIL front, or he is done as a coach before he even begins.

This feels to me like the first time we got passed over for the ACC. I feel like we are in BIG trouble as a program.
That’s a lot of words, many of which haven’t been informed by the news that has come out over the last 24-36 hours.

We’re not in big trouble. Jesse and Weitsman are unrelated. Do some catching up and you’ll feel better.

How has he "done the right thing"?

Is the entire purpose of people licensing NAME IMAGE & LIKENESS rights for purposes of publicity for the advertiser?

I mean, are you unaware of all the commercials on sports programs on TV?

What is it you think the athletes are selling, if not their endorsement rights?

Weitsman is smart enough to want that visibility in the medium of the day, not in freaking newspapers or magazines, or lame local TV commercials.

Do the Lakers not show Jack Nicholson at courtside? Do the Knicks not show Spike Lee?

Why do people think people are willing to spend all this money in the first place?

FOR PUBLICITY!!!! I feel like I'm a crazy person, listening to all these church mouses "tut tutting" about appearances.

How many times have we been on probation? Has any other school had wins taken away from their coach? Screw that !!!

Who really cares?? Either compete or go home. This ain't the Ivy's.
bingo nobody is supposed to be doing this for anything other than the promotion of a product or service.

WELL DONE!

Talk about someone skipping to page 97 and not reading what preceded their post.

Are you a week behind? How?

How is anything any different? His dad encouraged him to get more money elsewhere. Is that a news story? Do we have people ready to pay for the kid from Michigan, or the big time guard recruit for next year that Weitsman tee'd up for us?

That’s a lot of words, many of which haven’t been informed by the news that has come out over the last 24-36 hours.

We’re not in big trouble. Jesse and Weitsman are unrelated. Do some catching up and you’ll feel better.

I read the last 5 pages. So, the Dad encouraged him to look for more money.

How is anything any different? Fill me in. I've "only" read about 75 of these 95 pages.

Well with the clock winding down he did have the awareness to make his one 3. He also got better this year passing the ball out to the perimeter having 7 games with 3 or more assists. He was 11th in the nation for total rebounds/game (2nd in the ACC), 6th in the nation for blocks per game (1st in the ACC). Knowing where to be, shows basketball IQ.
there were moments. Every player has moments...

on the season Jesse was 64 turnovers, 49 assists. Maybe I am misinterpreting that stat but doesn't scream high bball IQ to me. (for comparison sake nikola jokic has 678 assists and 247 turnovers this year - that is high bball IQ)

Call me crazy but maybe that's why opponents started double-teaming him second-half of the season and not simply because he is a good scorer. just a thought. he did improve but he started from the bottom. and didn't get far....

As far as rebounds a game...he was under strict orders to stay within 4 feet of the basket basically all game (aside from corner 3s...lol)...JB kept him in the paint.

since the forwards couldnt rebound and werent exactly going to take many rebounds away from jesse - it was jesse's job...he did it well...but how exactly is being the tallest player on the court evidence of IQ? did he smart himself into having long arms?

if i can lift my hands up as high as i can does that mean i have a high IQ?

if I catch something that falls into my lap does that make me an elite athlete??

Speaking of being in the paint - does anyone have a stat on how many uncontested layups and dunks SU gave up with Jesse at center the last couple of seasons? I don't but I'm willing to bet the numbers on that would be putrid. For every block jesse got there had to 5 uncontested lobs or layups ...he was often a seive in the paint

why?

well because for the vast majority of his college career he couldnt stay on the floor without picking up a ton of silly fouls - again, not a high IQ indicator - now, you might say well he stopped fouling out - evidence of improvement! - not so fast. The reason he stopped fouling out is because JB basically had to tell him to just let people score and dont play defense basically. which brings me back to all of the uncontested dunks and layups teams had when jesse was in the game last couple of years.

when he first started out - he would actually play defense and he made a difference before always fouling out in a short amount of time...once he was a starter that stopped (by design)...he was a huge orange traffic cone, mostly.

yeah he got "his"...unsurprisingly...thats all these players care about it seems nowadays. for me, a lot of jesse's stats are empty stats...watching him play...it was s obvious to me that he didnt grow up around the game...didnt play much pickup with actual ballers and likely came to the game very late in his life...and didnt really understand how to have agency on the court to efect wins and losses...like at all.

(if you look at him and jg3's stats...you'd be like danngggg these guys are ballers! wow amazing. nope. they couldnt barely get over 500 the last two seasons combined as junior and senior starters...for a reason: empty stats.)

im sure he is "smart" ...as a person. but high basketball IQ??? no chance.

he has low bball IQ.

by the way, i didnt even mention his glacial footwork on defense...it was 3 stooges bad often times

my suggestion: get a basketball player in the Center spot...one who can shoot pass and dribble and watch what it does for the team.

Last edited:
I read the last 5 pages. So, the Dad encouraged him to look for more money.

How is anything any different? Fill me in. I've "only" read about 75 of these 95 pages.
We made a business decision on Jesse. We think his value is x. Someone else thinks it’s y. It’s what professional sports teams do all the time.

AW seized the spotlight to make himself look more important. You can debate his importance all you want. I’m sure he will tell you directly how much he matters. But if he’s not sitting courtside or buying attention, I assure you nobody cares about him. Not like he has a name brand people care about or anything else. They worshiped him for his celebrity status in terms of helping SU sports out. Without that? He’s another business guy that makes money. He got what he wanted out of this arrangement - I’d argue he probably got more. If he truly cared, he’d still donate.

I don't think it's crazy at all. I've been to lots of places. CNY has a lot going for it. I will grant that it isn't for everyone.
I agree. the people who say “too much snow” or “too cold” are soft. Here’s how I break it down.

Jan-Feb. yep it’s sucks, it’s cold grey and snowy.
Mar-Apr: roller coaster of weather. Just see our 80 degree weather this week. Plus St Pattys Day and NCAA tournament.
May-Oct: fantastic weather. Nothing better. Not too hot, not too cold. Many lakes, mountains, etc to enjoy.
Nov-Dec: it’s the holidays. Christmas lights and snow are the basics of a normal Holiday season..

Rebounding, he is one of the top re-bounders in the country. Huge, huge value.
I’m not sure this is true but we’ll see next season. I think a decent amount of his rebounding numbers was simply due to the fact that none of his teammates could grab any and he was generally always around the rim.

I don’t think his hands are very good and his rebounding numbers in general weren’t anything crazy until this past season.

I’ll be interested to see how he does outside the Syracuse system. He’s a good C no doubt either way. Just not sure I really buy him as an elite rebounder that happened to be on one of the worst rebounding teams in the country even with his numbers included.

I agree. the people who say “too much snow” or “too cold” are soft. Here’s how I break it down.

Jan-Feb. yep it’s sucks, it’s cold grey and snowy.
Mar-Apr: roller coaster of weather. Just see our 80 degree weather this week. Plus St Pattys Day and NCAA tournament.
May-Oct: fantastic weather. Nothing better. Not too hot, not too cold. Many lakes, mountains, etc to enjoy.
Nov-Dec: it’s the holidays. Christmas lights and snow are the basics of a normal Holiday season..
Ha, then I'm softer than a baby's tush. :)

In January and February, down here in my neck of the woods, it's in the low 70s and I'm often wishing it were a bit warmer. March is the best... high 70's, no rain, plenty of golf, and the kids can even swim in the pool.

Last edited:
We made a business decision on Jesse. We think his value is x. Someone else thinks it’s y. It’s what professional sports teams do all the time.

Well, if that was a "business decision" to let go a guy who just put up one of the best 10 seasons a center has ever done for us, then we better be able to get someone pretty good.

If we only win 10 or 12 games next season, this is going to a nail in the coffin. Attendance is already down 50%, and we're going to wind up with a really weak roster.

That's how it's looking to me. Where was the business decision when our attendance plummeted by 5,000 per game these past few years? We have a Patriot League wannabe for Chancellor.

How has he "done the right thing"?

Is the entire purpose of people licensing NAME IMAGE & LIKENESS rights for purposes of publicity for the advertiser?

I mean, are you unaware of all the commercials on sports programs on TV?

What is it you think the athletes are selling, if not their endorsement rights?

Weitsman is smart enough to want that visibility in the medium of the day, not in freaking newspapers or magazines, or lame local TV commercials.

Do the Lakers not show Jack Nicholson at courtside? Do the Knicks not show Spike Lee?

Why do people think people are willing to spend all this money in the first place?

FOR PUBLICITY!!!! I feel like I'm a crazy person, listening to all these church mouses "tut tutting" about appearances.

How many times have we been on probation? Has any other school had wins taken away from their coach? Screw that !!!

Who really cares?? Either compete or go home. This ain't the Ivy's.

Why are you comparing celebrities at pro sports to college sports?

there were moments. Every player has moments...

on the season Jesse was 64 turnovers, 49 assists. Maybe I am misinterpreting that stat but doesn't scream high bball IQ to me. (for comparison sake nikola jokic has 678 assists and 247 turnovers this year - that is high bball IQ)

Call me crazy but maybe that's why opponents started double-teaming him second-half of the season and not simply because he is a good scorer. just a thought. he did improve but he started from the bottom. and didn't get far...

As far as rebounds a game...he was under strict orders to stay within 4 feet of the basket basically all game (aside from corner 3s...lol)...JB kept him in the paint.

since the forwards couldnt rebound and werent exactly going to take many rebounds away from jesse - it was jesse's job...he did it well...but how exactly is being the tallest player on the court evidence of IQ? did he smart himself into having long arms?

if i can lift my hands up as high as i can does that mean i have a high IQ?

if I catch something that falls into my lap does that make me an elite athlete??

Speaking of being in the paint - does anyone have a stat on how many uncontested layups and dunks SU gave up with Jesse at center the last couple of seasons? I don't but I'm willing to bet the numbers on that would be putrid. For every block jesse got there had to 5 uncontested lobs or layups ...he was often a seive in the paint

why?

well because for the vast majority of his college career he couldnt stay on the floor without picking up a ton of silly fouls - again, not a high IQ indicator - now, you might say well he stopped fouling out - evidence of improvement! - not so fast. The reason he stopped fouling out is because JB basically had to tell him to just let people score and dont play defense basically. which brings me back to all of the uncontested dunks and layups teams had when jesse was in the game last couple of years.

when he first started out - he would actually play defense and he made a difference before always fouling out in a short amount of time...once he was a starter that stopped (by design)...he was a huge orange traffic cone, mostly.

yeah he got "his"...unsurprisingly...thats all these players care about it seems nowadays. for me, a lot of jesse's stats are empty stats...watching him play...it was s obvious to me that he didnt grow up around the game...didnt play much pickup with actual ballers and likely came to the game very late in his life...and didnt really understand how to have agency on the court to efect wins and losses...like at all.

(if you look at him and jg3's stats...you'd be like danngggg these guys are ballers! wow amazing. nope. they couldnt barely get over 500 the last two seasons combined as junior and senior starters...for a reason: empty stats.)

im sure he is "smart" ...as a person. but high basketball IQ??? no chance.

he has low bball IQ.

by the way, i didnt even mention his glacial footwork on defense...it was 3 stooges bad often times

my suggestion: get a basketball player in the Center spot...one who can shoot pass and dribble and watch what it does for the team.

OK, so Jesse was overrated and not that good. He still averaged about 14 points and 10 rebounds a game. Very few players have ever done that for us in the last 60 years.

As of now, we have Hima who could become Jeremy McNeil on a good day. And we have Peter Carey, who might be healthy next year, but basically hasn't played in 2 or 3 seasons. He's our best offensive option at center, and he played about 30 minutes for the entire last season. Then there's the incoming center, who isn't even rated by most of the services.

Of course we're not getting the Michigan kid if Kentucky and Kansas are involved. Who else? That North Texas State kid who they claim is 6-10 looks about 6-8, being generous. He's like a PF for a G5 team.

OK, then. Great business decision. Always let go of the bird in the hand before you have anything else lined up. Great move.

OK, so Jesse was overrated and not that good. He still averaged about 14 points and 10 rebounds a game. Very few players have ever done that for us in the last 60 years.

As of now, we have Hima who could become Jeremy McNeil on a good day. And we have Peter Carey, who might be healthy next year, but basically hasn't played in 2 or 3 seasons. He's our best offensive option at center, and he played about 30 minutes for the entire last season. Then there's the incoming center, who isn't even rated by most of the services.

Of course we're not getting the Michigan kid if Kentucky and Kansas are involved. Who else? That North Texas State kid who they claim is 6-10 looks about 6-8, being generous. He's like a PF for a G5 team.

OK, then. Great business decision. Always let go of the bird in the hand before you have anything else lined up. Great move.

You are on a rampage. UK is already out of the Dickinson sweepstakes as they are full at C. We are absolutely still in it. Straughn has a connection to go with we aren't dead in the water on NIL. We also reached out to Moussa Cisse - that was posted earlier today. Those are ones we know of so far.

2 things...well, maybe 3:
(1) Change the title of this thread for those of us who've been distracted and haven't been around the board. Something along the lines of: "Jesse Edwards in the portal". Just sayin'
(2) Why the freakout? We all knew this was a possibility, no? Folks are losing their isht because Jesse is gone? Ummmm, no thanks. We'll be just fine.
(3) If this is about a systemic break in the NIL machine by SU AD, then yes, we have some things to discuss. Otherwise, this is how the cbb game is played these days. If we're stuck in neutral trying to sort things out, then we're in deep trouble. Otherwise, its just water under the bridge, and we move on. We didn't lose Hakeem Olajuwan, all respect to Jess...so get a grip! Time to isht or get off the pot...are we NIL players, or not? That's the real question on the table. JMHO

Matt, are you always this cheerful? Just kidding (kinda). As for our center position, yes, it is a bit deflating unless there is an answer via portal. I tend to agree that the Michigan kid is probably a stretch, but you never know.

I like Hima probably more than some, but not as our starting center. I don't know enough about the N. Texas player, but not overly excited about that option. I guess it's better than starting Hima.

I for one, am trying to exercise some judgement here about the decision on Jesse since I have little insight to what kind of NIL dollars Syracuse (the collective) is working with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom