Jim B. quote | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jim B. quote

already forgotten. ask anybody who wasn't a Cuse fan and he's the virgin from oregon. legacy? he's a well paid footnote.

I still like Donte Greene...oh well.

I think people should be hating on Ennis more too, considering poor Donte's farewell.

IMO Donte was more of a sure thing with his skill set than Ennis. I enjoyed having Tyler here, but for the life of me I can't figure out what people see in him that makes them think he'll be able to play in the NBA.
I agree... Just isnt a good shooter, not a great pull up game... Not too quick or strong.. Solid but not amazing handle... Dont know about his ability to guard... But hey I guess that's why I am not an NBA scout

JB urged Donte Greene to stay because he felt it was in Donte's best interest. Look what happened to him after he left.

And he did the same to Pearl. These are the only three early entrants I can recall being questioned like this

Boeheim always supports his guys publicly; his quote is telling.

He wasn't having a breakout season until the tournament, I think Jb thought he was coming back.

MCW? He was a lottery pick long before the tourney. In the first few games of the season he started getting raves. Everyone knew he was gone, unlike Tyler there really was no doubt.

eao1115 said:
Could you imagine being Kaleb Joseph today? This is the difference between playing infrequently, and playing 38 minutes per game. His adrenaline has to be flowing like crazy.

I think Joseph would have eventually stole minutes from Cooney and Mike G. He's better than both.

Just guessing, Cuse wasn't prepared for Ennis to be here only one year and are now a little unprepared for next year. Were expecting 2 years out of Ennis and they know Joseph is not where he needs to be and we currently have no backup plan. Next year was supposed to be the year Ennis trained Joseph and then left for Joseph to then run things for a year. Just my 2 cents.
College basketball has changed. Most of the top points will be freshmen. Joseph will not be a detriment to whatever success we might have. Complete players no longer hang around to get their degree. Count our blessings if Joseph hangs around for a couple of years.

Have you even earned $5m in your lifetime? Let's hope Donte has invested widely.
I don't know what my income has to do with it but I have many more potentially high earning years to go. That's why so many of them are broke later on. At 5 mil in earnings he probably has less than a million of that.

Have you even earned $5m in your lifetime? Let's hope Donte has invested widely.

Ha true, but remember if you earn $5M in 20 years you get to keep a lot more of it than if you earn $5M in 4 years!

I don't think he's playing for free overseas.

Agreed, and to go one step further, I bet he is making more $ playing overseas than all but a few posters on this board. His life isn't too tough. He is getting paid, quite well, to do what he loves to do. Most people would kill for that opportunity.

orangejunkie said:
I think he's making a good decision. When you are lottery bound, staying another year can only hurt your chances. I think it is an easy decision unless a player lacks the confidence to make the jump. NBA is enamored with freshman. I recall CJ as a second rounder in mock drafts last year, don't think he will do any better this year.

Yeah, I guess the downside for CJ, as you point out, is that he didn't hurt his draft position, made all-american and will get his degree. ;)

The staff has to stop finding all these guys who end up being better than anticipated. Either get guys who you know are one and done up front or focus on 2 and 3 star talent. And make sure the 2-3 star guys are not diamonds in the rough. In fact, focus on guys who need to red shirt the first year. And on guys who transfer out of NIT caliber programs who aren't good enough to playthere.

I think the coaching staff was unprepared for Mcw leaving, but we caught lighting in a bottle with Ennis. I think they are stunned that Ennis is leaving, and know Joseph isn't Ennis.
I hate to be that guy, but I know Kaleb well and you are selling him waaaaaaay short. If you like exciting, transition hoops his should make you happy.

I hate to be that guy, but I know Kaleb well and you are selling him waaaaaaay short. If you like exciting, transition hoops his should make you happy.

I am excited for him to come to Syracuse and get the chance to run the offense, but I'm sure you can see why there is some apprehension. You might know him well, but you've never seen him step on the floor to play against college competition. There have been many, many players that come in and need time to adjust to the step up from HS to college.

The staff has to stop finding all these guys who end up being better than anticipated. Either get guys who you know are one and done up front or focus on 2 and 3 star talent. And make sure the 2-3 star guys are not diamonds in the rough. In fact, focus on guys who need to red shirt the first year. And on guys who transfer out of NIT caliber programs who aren't good enough to playthere.

But if the staff recruits the athletes you suggest, SU will become a MAC school or Penn State. I agree with the posters who've said Coach thought Ennis needed more college preparation before going pro. In that light, it tells us that he did recruit with an eye to keeping the program solvent year after year, with plans for Joseph playing behind Ennis in 2014-15. The idea of recruiting weaker players so as to avoid talented people leaving early for the pros is nuts because all that happens is you avoid the most talented athletes. The smart schools recruit both so they can achieve growth & continuity as well as having some incredible talent that might be one (or two) and done.

JB urged Donte Greene to stay because he felt it was in Donte's best interest. Look what happened to him after he left.
He's the one guy that left early that I think would have been better served by staying.

I know, when has the cupboard ever been bare here? Our worst years, which is like 2 or 3, we BARELY missed the NCAA's.
The history says we will be OK. Go look at Kaleb Joseph's promo vids. You'll feel a LOT better.
We can win with this.

Cooney
Joseph
BJJohnson
Gbinije
Patterson
Rak
DCII
Obokoh
Grant
McCullough
Roberson

And there are an extra 4 teams in the tourney now too - Had there always been 68, I'm not sure we ever would have missed.

But if the staff recruits the athletes you suggest, SU will become a MAC school or Penn State. I agree with the posters who've said Coach thought Ennis needed more college preparation before going pro. In that light, it tells us that he did recruit with an eye to keeping the program solvent year after year, with plans for Joseph playing behind Ennis in 2014-15. The idea of recruiting weaker players so as to avoid talented people leaving early for the pros is nuts because all that happens is you avoid the most talented athletes. The smart schools recruit both so they can achieve growth & continuity as well as having some incredible talent that might be one (or two) and done.
And here I thought I laid the sarcasm on thick enough. I figured the NIT transfers bit would give it away.