Jim Boeheim post game press conference vs. Iowa | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim post game press conference vs. Iowa

Say something like, "This is on the coaching staff, and as the head coach that means it's on me. It's my job to get these guys ready, and they just weren't."

He doesn't have to say his players suck or call out individuals or talk about how horrible the recruiting has been. Him taking responsibility covers all kinds of ills and removes pressure from a bunch of young overmatched players while not promises of a miraculous turn around.
JB is, who JB is. We’re not going to get, nor should we expect, some introspective mea culpa taking full responsibility, and definitely not with an entire season yet to be played.
Once this year is in the books, it’ll be time for the next step to be taken, no matter what. Nightmare scenario will be if he puts up some resistance, and wants to stay on indefinitely, or has demands as to the heir apparent.
Till then what he says, and how he says it, will be largely beside the point. JMHO

The thing is we haven't been getring the best of the rest. And we used to be an elite recruiting program back when we were getting Pearl, DC, Stevie Thompson, and Owens and then again with Carmelo, Flynn, Green and a bunch of others that were just outside MAA status.

The recent ridiculous success of Kentucky and then Duke in the one and done era has skewed the perception of what good recruiting is. There are lots of really good players that don't go to those schools that we have failed to get. JB has not adapted well to the one and done era of recruiting.

JB is, who JB is. We’re not going to get, nor should we expect, some introspective mea culpa taking full responsibility, and definitely not with an entire season yet to be played.
Once this year is in the books, it’ll be time for the next step to be taken, no matter what. Nightmare scenario will be if he puts up some resistance, and wants to stay on indefinitely, or has demands as to the heir apparent.
Till then what he says, and how he says it, will be largely beside the point. JMHO
Or he can stop ripping on individual players publicly. Keep that in-house, coach them and during his postgame press conference take responsibility and it goes away.
Belichick when he loses says the coaches have to coach better, the players have to play better, I have to do a better job. He doesn’t blame players by name out in the press conference.
Behind closed doors he is shredding them.
Boeheim never just owns the coaching staff has done poorly and they need to do a better job.
He has done a poor job on roster building, player development and I am not going to even touch recruiting.

These struggles aren’t shocking to people who haven’t buried their heads in the sands.
We have sucked on offense for 6 years.
We haven’t had a post presence in 5 years.
We haven’t had a legit pure PG in 6 years and yet nothing has changed.

These issues aren’t because of sanctions. They are because the HC has built his team with these flaws and not addressed them.

What I expect can be different than what would be correct.

Everyday I complain about the horrible drivers where I live. I don't expect them to change.

We love you Jimmy!
tenor.gif

Or he can stop ripping on individual players publicly. Keep that in-house, coach them and during his postgame press conference take responsibility and it goes away.
Belichick when he loses says the coaches have to coach better, the players have to play better, I have to do a better job. He doesn’t blame players by name out in the press conference.
Boeheim never just owns the coaching staff has done poorly and they need to do a better job.
He has done a poor job on roster building, player development and I am not going to even touch recruiting.

These struggles aren’t shocking to people who haven’t buried their heads in the sands.

These issues aren’t because of sanctions. They are because the HC has built his team with these flaws and not addressed them.
this is very well articulated, and I agree 100% wholeheartedly. This is only going one direction, and it is accelerating in that direction. Boeheim is in the process of destroying the program he dedicated his life to building. It pains me to write that, but it is true. It has been observable for many years now for those who could see, but now it is moving into undeniable territory where only the willfully blind deny the obvious.

There is no hope for the program until Boeheim is no longer the coach. The sun has set on him being an effective coach and leader of a quality basketball program.

"Really not a whole lot to say here. The Texans did a good job tonight all the way across the board, in every area, they were just better than we were tonight. I’m proud of the way our guys fought and competed, but we’ve just got to coach better, we’ve got to play better, just got to do better than we did tonight. It just wasn’t good enough in any area. They were the better team. That pretty much sums it up.”

— Bill Belichick, 12/1/19

Agreed, but you’re missing my point. Believe me, I also would love if he articulated or carried himself in the way you describe. But that’s not who we’ve had as HC all these 40+ years. He is, what we think he is. To expect any different is just setting oneself up for disappointment, and frankly, that’s what scares me most about the road ahead.

What I expect can be different than what would be correct.

Everyday I complain about the horrible drivers where I live. I don't expect them to change.
Fair enough.
Charlotte drivers are the absolute worst, but i no longer waste my time wishing they were better, or that they drove “correctly”.
Instead, in an act of ultimate self-preservation, I defensively drive as much as possible, and try not to unless absolutely necessary.
I’m not looking to, or hoping to have these horrible drivers suddenly turn into Richard Petty.
JB is, was, and never will be “ Mr Happy Coach”. I’ve long accepted that fact, and him, warts and all.

God complex, really?

What he is saying is those guys are capable shooters and can't lose confidence so they need to continue to shoot. He also mentioned have to continue looking to drive.

He also was saying with a young team it's hard to continue to throw new things into the offense.

I thought his press conference was honest... we are not a good team but they will continue to work hard and practice.

People are insane. He said we aren’t nearly as good as the teams we’re losing to. True. Shooters need to keep shooting. True. We aren’t getting enough movement or rebounds/turnovers to run. True. We have young guys who aren’t quite ready for these teams. True.

Now I’m fine with saying we’ve struggled to recruit and that’s on jimmy. But that’s not what we’re talking about in a postgame presser.

Fair enough.
Charlotte drivers are the absolute worst, but i no longer waste my time wishing they were better, or that they drove “correctly”.
Instead, in an act of ultimate self-preservation, I defensively drive as much as possible, and try not to unless absolutely necessary.
I’m not looking to, or hoping to have these horrible drivers suddenly turn into Richard Petty.
JB is, was, and never will be “ Mr Happy Coach”. I’ve long accepted that fact, and him, warts and all.
I don't even care if he's happy. What would be right would be accountability.

I'll put my Knoxville drivers up against your Charlotte drivers. It'd probably be a nice demolition derby. There is a mix of brashness, ignorance, and complete lack of caring about anyone else on the road I have yet to see anywhere else. My wife, who is from North Carolina and routinely drove through Atlanta when she was in college says the same thing. But I digress.

Weird stat against oklahoma state.

We had made 3 more fts then oklahoma state and shot 1 more fg attempt (combined rebounds/steals/to's) and somehow lost by 14 points.

Reason- they made 8 more fg attempts then us. I am all in on JB's were not making baskets. He gets it.

Weird stat against oklahoma state.

We had made 3 more fts then oklahoma state and shot 1 more fg attempt (combined rebounds/steals/to's) and somehow lost by 14 points.

Reason- they made 8 more fg attempts then us. I am all in on JB's were not making baskets. He gets it.
Lol
He gets it?
How hasn’t he recruited a big who can be an offensive threat since Rak Christmas?
How hasn’t he recruited a pure PG who can play since Tyler Ennis.
He doesn’t get it.

tyler ennis lost 6 of our last 9 games. That said, I don't know where all the mega love is considering he was only here for one year. Girard is solid, and will be a slightly better scorer than ennis in the longrun(who wasnt a great defender either). And he had senior fair, grant and cooney which trumps hughes, Buddy, and dolezaj.
Not saying ennis wasn't great 13 ppg is solid but losing 6 of the last 9, that team wasn't exactly amazing.
Even Gbinije and probably battle had he had Howard finished better with a weaker frontcourt.

Last edited:
tyler ennis lost 6 of our last 9 games. That said, I don't know where all the mega love is considering he was only here for one year. Girard is solid, and will be a slightly better scorer than ennis in the longrun(who wasnt a great defender either). And he had senior fair, grant and cooney which trumps hughes, Buddy, and dolezaj.
Not saying ennis wasn't great 13 ppg is solid but losing 6 of the last 9, that team wasn't exactly amazing.
Even Gbinije and probably battle had he had Howard finished better with a weaker frontcourt.
Okay thanks for confirming to me you are CousCuse’s burner account.
No more debate is needed with you.
Tyler Ennis was primary reason that team was better than its record.

Trevor Cooney and the lack of production from the SG position was why we struggled to score but blame it on Tyler Ennis and the 6 for 9 losing streak.
My god our fanbase.

So our biggest problems are that our young players (majority of our team) aren’t ready and we can’t compete if the opponent has a good big man.

They should use this for the next ticket selling promotion.

Okay thanks for confirming to me you are CousCuse’s burner account.
No more debate is needed with you.
Tyler Ennis was primary reason that team was better than its record.

Trevor Cooney and the lack of production from the SG position was why we struggled to score but blame it on Tyler Ennis and the 6 for 9 losing streak.
My god our fanbase.

You make a great point about him lacking the outside shooter outside of cooney. But, the teams that should be remembered more were the mcw/southerland and the Gbinije/Cooney(who we were hating) ff teams and the dion/fab elite 8 three loss team.
That team comes in 4th behind those 3 teams in those 5 years. imo.
Even 2 years ago s16 run where we played duke tough is higher up.

tyler ennis made .9 three pointers a game for us. He needed to make 2-3 :p
Criticism is due because he couldn't when cooney went cold. Hes not completely off the hook as amazing as he was, hes the only guy who doesnt get blamed that year for not making jumpshots.
Plus some of those assists were padded by jerami's bull in china shop half court transition, and cjs quick jab step pullup off 1-2 bounces, and 2.5 of his assists a game were to cooney around a screen, because cj and jerami were not going to feed cooney.

Last edited:
He’s not wrong, we’re not making shots. Lot of good open looks to from bunnies, to midrange to 3’s. Clang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom