Joe Moorhead | Syracusefan.com

Joe Moorhead

swcusefan77

Walk On
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Moorhead

Enough Said...This guy is a true winner..I'm sure it isn't easy to win and recruit in the bronx at the FCS level. He has dominated it there. Beat 2 FBS teams during his time there, one a championship, playoffs, turned a horrible program into one of the best at their level. No reason why we shouldn't target this guy. Look at the year he was the OC at UCONN, thats when they went to the Fiesta Bowl. This guy can coach and lead a program.

Enough Said...This guy is a true winner..I'm sure it isn't easy to win and recruit in the bronx at the FCS level. He has dominated it there. Beat 2 FBS teams during his time there, one a championship, playoffs, turned a horrible program into one of the best at their level. No reason why we shouldn't target this guy. Look at the year he was the OC at UCONN, thats when they went to the Fiesta Bowl. This guy can coach and lead a program.
Don't disagree with any of this except the part about Fordham being horrible. They've actually been quite good for quite a few years; the current Wake coach used Fordham as his launching pad.

Interesting find, seriously. How did his name/reputation come to you?

northacuse said:
Interesting find, seriously. How did his name/reputation come to you?

Ummm, maybe because it's the greatest last name ever?

Ummm, maybe because it's the greatest last name ever?

Sorry, in relation to FB, I thought that was Brown as in Jim.

Gotcha!;)

Always been a fan of NorthEast football even though I live in southwest...was born in long island area..I saw a couple articles before the season Pete Thamel from SI said he would be a candidate. Followed them this year they made the playoffs went 9-2. Read up on him. Only 41 years old, a young guy that has recruiting ties to Northeast. Been successful in the state of NY, Beat FBS schools at a FCS school. And you know they don't have the resources that we do. Watch his game this weekend. He runs high powered no huddle offense. Why not this guy...proven head coach rather than a sexy coordinator at a big school, where he's already done that and got them to bcs bowl..Edsall didn't take him to uconn..wonder what would have happened if he did

His name pops up on here every now and again. What people forget is that his team started awarding full football scholarships many years before the other teams in the Patriot League. He may be a fantastic coach, but I'd bet a lot of coaches would dominate their leagues and have inflated win percentages if they had the scholarship advantages that he had.

I know another Patriot League coach and they said it wasn't a fair match up when playing the Rams because the talent disparity was just too great to overcome.

I think the other teams in his league are phasing in scholies though, so the next few years should be a better indicator of his coaching ability.

His name pops up on here every now and again. What people forget is that his team started awarding full football scholarships many years before the other teams in the Patriot League. He may be a fantastic coach, but I'd bet a lot of coaches would dominate their leagues and have inflated win percentages if they had the scholarship advantages that he had.

I know another Patriot League coach and they said it wasn't a fair match up when playing the Rams because the talent disparity was just too great to overcome.

I think the other teams in his league are phasing in scholies though, so the next few years should be a better indicator of his coaching ability.
Fordham started in I think 2010, the other schools (except maybe Georgetown) in 2013.

what makes those other guys more qualified?
I've been praying for an Air Raid guy in the Dome for years and think this is the perfect opportunity so I'm going to be skeptical of everyone else but who knows maybe this Moorhead guy is the real deal.

I will admit that I was a huge Scott Shafer fan. He was building a solid foundation, the kids were going to school, the kids were not getting in trouble and his defenses taken as a whole over 7 years (until this past year when the entire defense needed to be rebuilt with youngsters) were fun and exciting and effective. Offensively, the pieces were coming together.

Truthfully, to have fired Shafer and to replace him with some imported younger coordinator who may or may not be any good makes me ill. I do not know if I (or a large portion of the fanbase) will have the energy to slog through the next several seasons as new recruiting pipelines are built, players are turned over, new systems are implemented etc.

Given the resource constraints, the perceived negative of playing Fla St, Clemson, Louisville and Pitt every year, etc., I really think ADMC has to wrap his head around hiring a FCS head coach like Joe Moorhead.

First, SU can afford Joe Moorhead.

Joe Moorhead is a known commodity in LI, NJ, PA, etc. and hence will immediately be able to recruit.

There is a chance that he will stay even if successful (no requests for a 2 year contract here).

And, he has shown that he is a highly successful coach having quickly turned around Fordham and made them a huge success.

So, no more guys from the NFL, no more imports from exotic locals. Bring in someone in his core reflects the NE and what makes it special. Last time SU took this approach they hired Dick MacPherson from UMass (which was division II at the time) and that worked out really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom