Jonathan Thomas to Saftey? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jonathan Thomas to Saftey?

If we are being honest that's NFL size at the safety position that Shy has. I know he's a damn athletic freak so I imagine speed wise he would be fine. But you are asking a guy who attacks the LOS like a psychopath and is a QB killer to all of a sudden play the game going backwards instead of forwards. I don't know how he would handle the transition and I have no idea what his base coverage skills look like.

Shy seems to be one of the hardest working kids on the team (at least from what I glean from Bam anyways) and I'm sure if anybody could be trusted to put in the work necessary it would be Shy.

It's a move I'd be curious to see. Given the LB corps is the best unit talentwise on our team it makes sense to pilfer from our strength to aid a weakness.
all this you mentioned makes it hard to transition from LB to safety. It rarely happens. There's a better chance of Morgan going to safety

Last edited:
all the these you mentioned makes it hard to transition from LB to safety. It rarely happens. There's a better chance of Morgan going to safety

I have to imagine it's always easier for a safety to become "too big" and transition to LB, than it is for an LB to be "too small" and have to transition to safety. It's easier to go forwards than backwards and learning it late is pretty hard to do.

That's why so many of the DEs that try to transition to OLB in the pros fail, they aren't always going forwards any more, and they have to play in more space than they are used to.

It certainly isn't impossible, and it can definitely happen, but it is anything but an easy thing to do. Learning to cover when you have stiff hips (as basically all LBs do because they've never practiced opening, turning, mirroring and chasing) is pretty damn hard to do.

I have to imagine it's always easier for a safety to become "too big" and transition to LB, than it is for an LB to be "too small" and have to transition to safety. It's easier to go forwards than backwards and learning it late is pretty hard to do.

That's why so many of the DEs that try to transition to OLB in the pros fail, they aren't always going forwards any more, and they have to play in more space than they are used to.

It certainly isn't impossible, and it can definitely happen, but it is anything but an easy thing to do. Learning to cover when you have stiff hips (as basically all LBs do because they've never practiced opening, turning, mirroring and chasing) is pretty damn hard to do.
couldnt have said it any better my friend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom