Jonny Flynn | Syracusefan.com

Jonny Flynn

Shermthegeneral

Starter
I try to pay attention to all of the SU players in the NBA and see how they are doing and the person that I've been frustrated the most with this year is Jonny Flynn. This poor guy hasn't been able to get a break since his first year in the league. Last year he was coming off an injury and Luke Ridnour came in and was lights out and then he gets traded to Houston and the 3rd PG in the rotation behind Kyle Lowry and Drogic. I know he is way to talented to be sitting on the bench and I believe he deserves a chance to run a team. Does anyone else feel the same way?

After watching him in his minutes played...he has a hard time getting his shot off. I don't think he is long for the league. 3rd string point on a non playoff team is not a good spot to be in.

I try to pay attention to all of the SU players in the NBA and see how they are doing and the person that I've been frustrated the most with this year is Jonny Flynn. This poor guy hasn't been able to get a break since his first year in the league. Last year he was coming off an injury and Luke Ridnour came in and was lights out and then he gets traded to Houston and the 3rd PG in the rotation behind Kyle Lowry and Drogic. I know he is way to talented to be sitting on the bench and I believe he deserves a chance to run a team. Does anyone else feel the same way?

What starting point guard in the league is he better than?

If this were the early 2000s, you may have an argument. However, the PG spot is much, much stronger league-wide now.

bad bad luck that he was drafted to Minny and Rambis - really shot his confidence, I believe - then the injury... yeah, not sure he's long for the league.
(though I don't follow the nba at all and I could be way off base here)

He's not even tweeting much anymore. I think he must be depressed sitting on the bench and not playing, along with all those other former Big East all stars in Houston. He gets a lot of DNP - Coaching Decision right alongside Thabeet and Jeff Adrien.

If his hip is hindering his athletic ability (speed and quickness), what defining characteristics does his game have that separates him from other PG's? It's not looking good for him at all. I think he's toast.

He hasn't been placed in a position to play to his strengths, and consequently his flaws are magnified.

Might be a case of a guy that is talented enough to be in the league but is running out of opportunities to land in the right situation.

He hasn't been placed in a position to play to his strengths, and consequently his flaws are magnified.

Might be a case of a guy that is talented enough to be in the league but is running out of opportunities to land in the right situation.

I do follow the NBA and I follow all the SU guys pretty closely. IMO, your statement is pretty spot on. Minnesota was a horrible place for JF...but...he didn't help himself. He pounded the ball instead of swinging it around. JF was a player whose NBA skillset translates into a PG in attack mode (see: Nate Robinson)...a guy who should be a tempo-changer off the bench. On top of that, and this was unforeseen, he has been a defensive liability to this point.

Sucks, because I really believed JF would work out as a good NBA PG. He had (has?) the quickness, but I believe his injury and situation have hurt him badly. I commented on a thread a week or two ago where the Rockets fans wanted to keep Jeremy Lin instead of JF. That's not good.

44cuse

They tried to change his game in MIN and that shook his confidence, but..still..the truly good point guards survive and thrive. He had chances in MIN. Look at Kyle Lowry. He was just a cast off in Memphis and now he looks like a top 10 point guard in the league.

If you are good enough, you get on the court in the NBA. Thats the bottom line.

He's an injury away from being a backup somewhere. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll make a great living in Europe for the next 15 years.

A Euro team featuring Flynn at PG, Rautins at the 2, Nichols at the 3, Roberts at the 4 and Watkins at the 5. Mookie and Scoop will join the team next year to provide the depth. Blackwell will coach the team. And I suppose there is always room somewhere on the pine for Matty Gorman.

Thats my feeling, but to be honest i havent seen flynn play 1 game in the nba, just highlights. He did average 13.5 ppg his rookie year, you dont average almost 14 points in the nba by accident.

Thats my feeling, but to be honest i havent seen flynn play 1 game in the nba, just highlights. He did average 13.5 ppg his rookie year, you dont average almost 14 points in the nba by accident.

I also have not watched him play a combined 2 quarters in his career. Wish he had stayed in school. Money talks unfortunately. Could have led this team to a national championship. Reality is he is rich and it doesn't matter what happens now.

The people who left syracuse early Pearl-guard short nba career, Billy-forward fair career, Melo good career, Donte-forward bad so far, flynn-guard bad so far Paul-forward not in nba. Money is nice but if you want a sustained career in the nba developing in college is better. the nba is a star's league everyone else has to be able to fit in or they are gone.

unfortunately people can over analyze stats until they are blue in the face, I know Jonny has skills and I'm hoping that he either gets traded or they do drop him in Houston. I don't know what it is but it seems like ever player that comes out of Syracuse finds themselves in a crapy situation. They are either on a bad team and they have to play immediately and don't have a chance to develop off the bench or they are in a bad system for that player. The ideal situation for Jonny is to get on a team like Phoenix or Boston where they have a solid PG who is a pro and Jonny can learn under. Does anyone know if Jonny's contract is guaranteed? I know he makes something like 3 million this year and Houston might not want to just dump him if they have to pay it.

Lawson was, is, and will be better but it would've been interesting had Jonny been in DEN and Lawson in MIN.

We had this argument when he was playing here about Flynn's defense. He was not a good defender here and is absolutely atrocious in the League. Couple that with poor shooting and decision making and you find yourself on the bench and before long out of the league.
It's too bad as it would be nice for Syracuse to have some players of impact in the NBA besides Carmelo.

I'm guessing Minnesota will not be drafting another Cuse guy with a top 5 pick ever again. Just a hunch :eek:

The Syracuse system really can be a mirage...as far as pro potential. These guys should all give JB half their earnings.

The people who left syracuse early Pearl-guard short nba career, Billy-forward fair career, Melo good career, Donte-forward bad so far, flynn-guard bad so far Paul-forward not in nba. Money is nice but if you want a sustained career in the nba developing in college is better. the nba is a star's league everyone else has to be able to fit in or they are gone.
Billy's career is a little skewed, though, since he had about eight knee surgeries that pretty much ended his career. Before that, he was on his way to a nice, if not quite all-star, career.

I agree
unfortunately people can over analyze stats until they are blue in the face, I know Jonny has skills and I'm hoping that he either gets traded or they do drop him in Houston. I don't know what it is but it seems like ever player that comes out of Syracuse finds themselves in a crapy situation. They are either on a bad team and they have to play immediately and don't have a chance to develop off the bench or they are in a bad system for that player. The ideal situation for Jonny is to get on a team like Phoenix or Boston where they have a solid PG who is a pro and Jonny can learn under. Does anyone know if Jonny's contract is guaranteed? I know he makes something like 3 million this year and Houston might not want to just dump him if they have to pay it.

Yea his contract is guaranteed this last year. I just feel that if a guy like Sebastian Telfair can survive in the league then Jonny can as well. Good for Jonny though because he definitely has about 10 million dollars in the bank. I just hope he can get back to being completely healthy and i think he'll be a competent backup in the league. BTW sometimes it just takes PG's a lot longer to figure things out in the NBA. Ex: Chauncey Billups. (Not saying that he's gonna be anything like Chauncey in terms of effectiveness)

BTW sometimes it just takes PG's a lot longer to figure things out in the NBA. Ex: Chauncey Billups. (Not saying that he's gonna be anything like Chauncey in terms of effectiveness)

When you are 6'3, built like a tank truck and play stifling defense...you get more chances. Chauncey Billups was a different animal. Jonny is a fingernail under 6 foot and doesn't do anything all that well. Like someone said earlier.. his only chance is to try and be Nate Robinson. Instant energy, sparkplug off the bench guy.

A Euro team featuring Flynn at PG, Rautins at the 2, Nichols at the 3, Roberts at the 4 and Watkins at the 5. Mookie and Scoop will join the team next year to provide the depth. Blackwell will coach the team. And I suppose there is always room somewhere on the pine for Matty Gorman.
EuroCuse. ;)

Still making $3.414 mil. I'll sit on a bench for $51,727/game.

When his rookie contract is over, Europe is a strong possibility.

Whoever drafter him ahead of Curry should be fired, if they are still in the job.