Class of 2014 - Josh Malone -WR | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Josh Malone -WR

@Niebuhr247: 4-star WR Josh Malone offered by #Syracuse http://t.co/78GbURdyZC

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/823378/joshua-malone

Good size. 6'3" 188
Tennessee? We is getting bold. You gotta love the attitude of this staff. I know I do. No freaking hat in hand stuff . We are WORTHY "NOW"Thank you Doug. You have helped our program beyond your wiping the memory of that other Guy who thought he was a coach You have given us SS and he in turn has given us GM and a few others here that are excelling thus far.:confused:

Tennessee? We is getting bold. You gotta love the attitude of this staff. I know I do. No freaking hat in hand stuff . We are WORTHY "NOW"Thank you Doug. You have helped our program beyond your wiping the memory of that other Guy who thought he was a coach You have given us SS and he in turn has given us GM and a few others here that are excelling thus far.:confused:
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, but I recall a recruiting class in the 1990s, when we attempted to parlay our success by targeting a lot of high profile recruits. Come the end of January when these players committed, we ended up missing out on almost all of them, and were left to scramble to fill the open scholarships with B-listers. Some of the older recruitnicks may recall the names and year.
On a more positive note, thus far HCSS & staff have shown that they can deliver the goods, so hopefully their reach hasn't exceeded their grasp. One other thing working in our favor is that nowadays, many of the 4 and 5 star recruits are announcing earlier, which leaves some time to court the 3 star guys.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, but I recall a recruiting class in the 1990s, when we attempted to parlay our success by targeting a lot of high profile recruits. Come the end of January when these players committed, we ended up missing out on almost all of them, and were left to scramble to fill the open scholarships with B-listers. Some of the older recruitnicks may recall the names and year.
On a more positive note, thus far HCSS & staff have shown that they can deliver the goods, so hopefully their reach hasn't exceeded their grasp. One other thing working in our favor is that nowadays, many of the 4 and 5 star recruits are announcing earlier, which leaves some time to court the 3 star guys.

That's very true. Coach Mac got his clock cleaned on the national level that year.

We have to hope that having a bulldog recruiter like George McDonald is going to pay dividends. If he can deliver a top 20 class in Minnesota, then he should be able to do so here. Might not happen this year, but...

Ultimately, I think the best way to get to that level is to keep winning, to consistently get to bowls, to be able to feature an IPF, etc. That's all stuff that the coaching staff can sell on the recruiting trail.

But I do have to admit, the prospect of bringing in 4-star [I know that the star system isn't the end all be all] playmaking WRs IS exciting, after such a long drought.

That's very true. Coach Mac got his clock cleaned on the national level that year.

We have to hope that having a bulldog recruiter like George McDonald is going to pay dividends. If he can deliver a top 20 class in Minnesota, then he should be able to do so here. Might not happen this year, but...

Ultimately, I think the best way to get to that level is to keep winning, to consistently get to bowls, to be able to feature an IPF, etc. That's all stuff that the coaching staff can sell on the recruiting trail.

But I do have to admit, the prospect of bringing in 4-star [I know that the star system isn't the end all be all] playmaking WRs IS exciting, after such a long drought.
Good point about his track record at Minny. And while winning, bowl appearances, IPF etc., are all important, I don't think you can underestimate the impact of an good recruiter who knows how to close the deal (like Wheatley).

I think it is important that we not only win, but the recruits need to see an offense that turns into a "track meet" and makes the scoreboard light up and a defense that is mad dog blitzing and sacking all the time and then they will start to come, that is why Oregon has become so popular(plus the unies)

I think it is important that we not only win, but the recruits need to see an offense that turns into a "track meet" and makes the scoreboard light up and a defense that is mad dog blitzing and sacking all the time and then they will start to come, that is why Oregon has become so popular(plus the unies)

While that stuff helped Oregon become popular, lets not kid ourselves. Oregon has the best facilities in the country.

If Syracuse has the style of play we all think they will and the IPF gets built, then I think you will see recruiting take off to a level that Syracuse has only sniffed before. That will take some time.

and some of the best facilities in the country

Not sure how much effect it will have but AJ Long, and Malone are good friends