Joshua-Klitschko | Syracusefan.com

Joshua-Klitschko

SWC75

Bored Historian
When the Klitschko brothers first showed up, I saw them as volume punchers that would just keep coming with the jab, the right cross and the left hook until their opponents couldn't deal with it any more. Vladimir seems to have adopted the Mayweather school of fighting: lean back and back off so that punches don't have their normal effect, stick the jab out and pick your spots for occasional flurries. Pile up the points and win decisons if the knockouts aren't there.

In this fight he seemed to be banking on Joshua, who had not gone beyond the 7th, lacking stamina after that, even though he was 14 years younger. He just jabbed, jabbed , jabbed for three rounds, cocking the right hand but never using it. Then Joshua forced the aciton in teh 4th, knocking Klitschko down. But the old responded and started throwing punches like the old day. He backed up Joshua and had him groggy by the end of the round. He looked like he was going to knock him out in the 6th. But he didn't force the issue and went back to jabbing, leaning back and tying up his opponent. In the end it was Joshua who got the second wind and Klitschko who faded. The stoppage seemed slightly premature but I think Klitschko was about to be knocked out in any case.

Joshua was already and alphabet soup champion, (IBF) but in reality he's one of a bunch of younger fighters vying to become the next Klitschko, with his brother, dominated the division for a decade and who had themselves supplanted Lennox Lewis, who had dominated it for most of the decade before that. Anthony had impressive power, (look at those shoulder muscles), but he did seem to have stamina issues and appeared to be vulnerable. Tyson Fury is a bum who is blowing whatever chance he had. Deontay Wilder also has an impressive look and record but was totally out-boxed in his last fight by someone named Gerald Washington before ending it with one punch. I've only seen Luis Ortiz once. He looked big but slow. I've never seen Joseph Parker or Hughie Fury. Everyone else seems like damaged goods:
Rankings: Joshua-Klitschko could decide who's the division best

Tournament anyone?

Good write up. Joshua showed a ton of heart when he was doubted and was a mystery on later rounds having never gone past 7. His upper cut is the best in the business, and if he connects with that, you see the results, no one imo can come back from a well executed upper like the one he planted on Klitschko. Then actually landed another in the fury after that when he was finishing him off. Joshua was punch drunk for 2 rounds after the knock down. Once he got his legs back, you could see a big change in body language.

Wilder is my favorite boxer right now. He did get out boxed his last fight before ko'ing another ex football player, TE. He lacks experience, but has devastating power. I can't wait to see him fight Joshua or Parker. Ortiz isn't champion material imo. I love that we can talk heavyweight's again though. Never been a fan of the Klitschko's style, etc. They reigned during the division's dark days when there was no competition imo. This was a great fight to watch though, and both fighters were all class in talking after the fight.

Good write up. Joshua showed a ton of heart when he was doubted and was a mystery on later rounds having never gone past 7. His upper cut is the best in the business, and if he connects with that, you see the results, no one imo can come back from a well executed upper like the one he planted on Klitschko. Then actually landed another in the fury after that when he was finishing him off. Joshua was punch drunk for 2 rounds after the knock down. Once he got his legs back, you could see a big change in body language.

Wilder is my favorite boxer right now. He did get out boxed his last fight before ko'ing another ex football player, TE. He lacks experience, but has devastating power. I can't wait to see him fight Joshua or Parker. Ortiz isn't champion material imo. I love that we can talk heavyweight's again though. Never been a fan of the Klitschko's style, etc. They reigned during the division's dark days when there was no competition imo. This was a great fight to watch though, and both fighters were all class in talking after the fight.

When Lennox Lewis retired the Klitschko brothers owned the heavweight division.

I remember a time when the heavyweight champ was often one of the most famous athletes in the country, if not the world. Now a days most folks couldn't pick these guys out of a police lineup. What happened?

I remember a time when the heavyweight champ was often one of the most famous athletes in the country, if not the world. Now a days most folks couldn't pick these guys out of a police lineup. What happened?
The great American heavyweights of prior years now play tight end in the NFL.

The great American heavyweights of prior years now play tight end in the NFL.
Funny you should say that. Wilder is an ex TE, and so was Gerald Washington who he beat in his last fight.

Boxing killed it's golden goose by creating the alpha soup titles and splittng up divisions. The word "champion" doesn't mean much any more. It's like winning a bowl game in the days before the BCS- it just establishes you as one of the top guys. Also, having two Ukrainian champions meant a lot of title fights in Europe at odd hours for us so we didn't see much of them. Joshua-Wilder could be huge for the sport but they probably need to clear out the other contenders to make it a superfight.

I'd like to see them replace the hereditary titles with annual tournaments to create and sustain interest. And let's realign the divisions so there isn't a 50 pound gap between the heavyweight contenders and the next division down while we have 3 pound divisions like the "Super Flyweights".

klitschko !!!! Put us Ukrainians on the map in the sports world and wins and losses with pure class !

Always remember my Dad watching his fights and screaming at the TV in Ukrainian lol.

No doubt the UFC has put a dent in boxing's popularity as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom