JP -NIL | Syracusefan.com

JP -NIL

florange44

Scout Team
They locked the JP thread so I’ll put this here.

My connection at Tennessee says that JP got more than $1M. The other 4/5 they got a few months before JP got $1M and he was not as highly ranked.

BTW- that figure is over 4 years, paid annually or monthly.

Florange44

No, that can’t be true. JP said himself that he wasn’t interested in NIL. He on;y care about playing for a family oriented university.

if true, he should reject the NIL money that Tennessee U boosters are paying.

No, that can’t be true. JP said himself that he wasn’t interested in NIL. He on;y care about playing for a family oriented university.

if true, he should reject the NIL money that Tennessee U boosters are paying.
It's hard to turn down a million bucks. Good for him.

My connection at Tennessee says that JP got more than $1M. The other 4/5 they got a few months before JP got $1M and he was not as highly ranked.

Florange44
If that is true, and I have no way of knowing, I don't blame him one bit for going to Tenn. Not only that, I don't know him but if he asked me where he should go, I would have told him, kid, take the million and go to Tenn.

If that is true, and I have no way of knowing, I don't blame him one bit for going to Tenn. Not only that, I don't know him but if he asked me where he should go, I would have told him, kid, take the million and go to Tenn.
Of course, and I find this to be much more problematic than if our head coach, whether he is 80 years old or 40 years old, gets on a damn plane or not. It's Apples and Oranges, and the Oranges will continue to lose out until our current head coach or assistant coach, or student manager or whomever, brings an extra suitcase on that plane that is for the recruit.

I'm not debating the issue whether it's time to make a change, or not, it's fairly obvious, but until we are playing the same game as some of these other schools, we will continue to lose these recruiting battles no matter who is in charge.

Florange44

Good info and not surprising at all. Cuse knows the current competitive landscape and what it will take. To win these recruiting battles we will need to be in the same ballpark. Certainly plays a role in us missing out on targets.

Cuse

I would have said the same thing, and added: "but since you're not a SA or even a written commit, this is obviously an illegal inducement. As such, it represents taxable income so I'm going to report you to the IRS and turn cheater-{edit] Barnes and his grease-bucket boosters into the feckless NCAA."

Last edited:
I would have said the same thing, and added: "but since you're not a SA or even a written commit, this is obviously an illegal inducement. As such, it represents taxable income so I'm going to report you to the IRS and turn cheater-Pearl and his grease-bucket boosters into the feckless NCAA."
Why Pearl? He doesn't coach Tenn.

Let him go, he was on a roll.
Exactly, whoever. The point is, it's illegal. "Just take the money"might sound good. But it's not always the wisest choice (especially if you wind up being ruled ineligible).

Last edited:
I would have said the same thing, and added: "but since you're not a SA or even a written commit, this is obviously an illegal inducement. As such, it represents taxable income so I'm going to report you to the IRS and turn cheater-{edit] Barnes and his grease-bucket boosters into the feckless NCAA."
60cb5a0323393a00188e3b93

FWIW, the median NIL deal across all sports is $53. The average is just over $1,000.

The million-dollar deals are few and far between.
Assuming you’re referencing the JG3 dot com article? These numbers do not surprise me.

I’d love more info on these numbers:
- I would like to see these numbers for just P5 men’s bball and football?
- how many of the high earners are women vs. men?

As I have said in other threads and keep getting slammed, Weitsman and our boosters need to get off their duff and get in the NIL game. It is not illegal if done the right way. So many college players are openly talking about it and how much they are getting. We need to get in the game or we will be constantly facing Duke, NC, Virginia with their 3 to 5 McDonalds all American or 5 star athletes, while we consistently put on the floor unranked players and guys who are not top 100 players. It's sad that some think this current class is one of our best in a long time. Truth be told, with the exception of Mintz, these guys are benchwarmers at the ACC schools I just mentioned. They aren't even Tucker, and we saw how that went at Duke. I love to see guys grow and become solid 4 year players, but that was yesteryear and the truth is we cannot compete and win without snagging top players on a yearly basis.

As I have said in other threads and keep getting slammed, Weitsman and our boosters need to get off their duff and get in the NIL game. It is not illegal if done the right way. So many college players are openly talking about it and how much they are getting. We need to get in the game or we will be constantly facing Duke, NC, Virginia with their 3 to 5 McDonalds all American or 5 star athletes, while we consistently put on the floor unranked players and guys who are not top 100 players. It's sad that some think this current class is one of our best in a long time. Truth be told, with the exception of Mintz, these guys are benchwarmers at the ACC schools I just mentioned. They aren't even Tucker, and we saw how that went at Duke. I love to see guys grow and become solid 4 year players, but that was yesteryear and the truth is we cannot compete and win without snagging top players on a yearly basis.

Who are you to tell people how to spend their money? And many are involved. They await your significant contribution.

Could something like this be developed (by someone smarter/more informed that me)?

Syracuse has the highest attendance of any program in the Country. SU winks at it's third party ticket provider or Learfield or IMG or whoever and says that if you want our business, you need to get out in front on NIL. Third party vendor then contracts with players for "optional post game appearances." They then add a $3 surcharge to every ticket sold. That money is then redistributed to the contracted players in the form of NIL. You basically have just established a 20,000 per NIL collaborative and its costing them a cup of coffee for each game they attend. That's about $900k in revenue to be distributed among 12 scholarship players and can be done each season.

A ticket surcharge may be iffy but a donation can at each entry could work.A dollar from each fan would build a good NIL fund. Most well positioned fans would most likely drop more.

It's not illegal.

There's a big bucket of money, if he does the market rate tasks and passes their compliance he gets it.

ESPN had a piece (or it was The Athletic?) about programs working their way back, specifically pointed out UT as extra NIL aggressive.

It's not illegal.

There's a big bucket of money, if he does the market rate tasks and passes their compliance he gets it.

ESPN had a piece (or it was The Athletic?) about programs working their way back, specifically pointed out UT as extra NIL aggressive.
Yes it is (direct violation of NCAA rules). You can't use NIL to induce a commitment or to reward performance. This is a recruit, not a SA. It's exactly what many feared NIL would become - a sleazy way to funnel money from boosters to recruits. NCAA approves NIL guidelines, threatens booster funding - Sports Illustrated

Last edited:
It's not illegal.

Detail your second paragraph. That sounds nothing more than doing an analysis of what opportunities you would have and not a school/booster saying come here and you’ll get $250k/yr for 4 years.

Yes it is (direct violation of NCAA rules). You can't use NIL to induce a commitment or to reward performance. This is a recruit, not a SA. It's exactly what many feared NIL would become - a sleazy way to funnel money from boosters to recruits. NCAA approves NIL guidelines, threatens booster funding - Sports Illustrated

A recruit can ask players what they get, whats the market, etc etc. The recruit can inquire about NIL and learn the ropes.

A player's free market value will go up with performance (when they're at college, so we may be talking different things there).

Good luck defining induce over inquire.

A recruit can ask players what they get, whats the market, etc etc. The recruit can inquire about NIL and learn the ropes.

A player's free market value will go up with performance (when they're at college, so we may be talking different things there).

Good luck defining induce over inquire.

Those first two paragraphs are absolutely true.

You don’t have to answer my question since this did. The compliance part, if the school is being honest, is the call on the induce or inquire.

Detail your second paragraph. That sounds nothing more than doing an analysis of what opportunities you would have and not a school/booster saying come here and you’ll get $250k/yr for 4 years.

Could get.

I recently listened to a very long analysis on this from some NCAA types. Besides it being great sleep tonic let me try to not screw this up (which is possible)

NIL Foundation has X amount of money, budget. Player has to hit certain tasks and receive fair market rate in compensation from said foundation. Players also are allowed agents to run outside deals. All deals go through school compliance. A player can see what the market rates are and what's possible. A school of course cannot "buy" players but good luck with that.

And most NIL deal are nickel dimer types, we are debating the 5% or whatever here.

You don’t have to answer my question since this did. The compliance part, if the school is being honest, is the call on the induce or inquire.

Yeah I didn't realize that til recently .

Could get.

I recently listened to a very long analysis on this from some NCAA types. Besides it being great sleep tonic let me try to not screw this up (which is possible)

NIL Foundation has X amount of money, budget. Player has to hit certain tasks and receive fair market rate in compensation from said foundation. Players also are allowed agents to run outside deals. All deals go through school compliance. A player can see what the market rates are and what's possible. A school of course cannot "buy" players but good luck with that.

And most NIL deal are nickel dimer types, we are debating the 5% or whatever here.

I know college student athletes can have agents for NIL purposes. But can a HS player have an agent for college NIL purposes? I don’t think so but could be wrong. And “what’s possible” are the key words. And while it is difficult to nail a school on “buying” a player, it’s still illegal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom