Julian Whigham part 2 | Syracusefan.com

Julian Whigham part 2

Had invites to visit Miami, BC and Indiana this weekend...

Highlight tape here: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/582940/julian-whigham

Check the punt return at the 3 min mark

Scout is re-evaluating his rating..possible bump to 4 star

Oh and he declined the invites to visit Miami, BC and Indiana and will be in Syracuse next weekend

Thanks for the link! We really need to hang on to Whigham...he looks like a playmaker.

You mean Orange, man. From your lips to...

I don't recognize us as anything but the Syracuse Orangemen...

I don't know who these Orange are that you speak of :)

And if he's not taking visits anywhere else, its a done deal

Thanks for the vid. Kid looks very similar to Philip Thomas to me. Doesn't hit as hard because he is lighter in the pants but putting on some weight would get him there as he hits with aggressiveness and good technique. Probably has better ball skills though considering all those picks. I know everyone says he is coming in as a CB but he looks more like a FS to me. Although there wasn't any clips shown with him on 1 on 1 coverage so...:noidea:
Anyways glad to hear he sounds all orange.

Seems he is taking a visit to USF and Rutgers is now in the mix as well.

You mean Orange, man. From your lips to...

3398375956-performers-dressed-orange-bodysuits-eyeball-theatre-company-walk-together-royal.jpg
These are orange men​
991a_12.JPG
These are Orangemen

Thanks for the vid. Kid looks very similar to Philip Thomas to me. Doesn't hit as hard because he is lighter in the pants but putting on some weight would get him there as he hits with aggressiveness and good technique. Probably has better ball skills though considering all those picks. I know everyone says he is coming in as a CB but he looks more like a FS to me. Although there wasn't any clips shown with him on 1 on 1 coverage so...:noidea:
Anyways glad to hear he sounds all orange.

Agree with you about the FS thoughts. Very willing on run support, way too light currently. I think we are going to continue to bring in DB's and put the guys with best 1:1 coverage skills at corner. Have to have that commodity for Schafer's pressure D to be effective. Very hard to find CBs that can play press coverage without any S help over the top.

I remember an interview with him from Scout.

He can play both and likes FS but the staff told him he was too small (light) to play safety at the next level and they saw him as a CB...The issue being that he was playing at 175lb...

I bet he winds up at FS as a Soph or Jr. Remember P Thomas played corner as a frosh and I think that I remember Shaferquoted saying that CB was less demanding mentally than safety and may be easier to transition to from high school with just one fall camp. I'm excited about this kid.

Trying to guess where this kid might end up is futile at this point. We know he has some lights out ability and a ceiling that should only grow as he fills out. That said, we have a lot of young, athletic, and versatile DBs... the ones that adapt to what the team needs will be the ones that start.

I remember an interview with him from Scout.

He can play both and likes FS but the staff told him he was too small (light) to play safety at the next level and they saw him as a CB...The issue being that he was playing at 175lb...

That could be but its odd that many are suggesting Desir will be being moved to FS next year when he is currently only 5'-11" 168 lbs.

I bet he winds up at FS as a Soph or Jr. Remember P Thomas played corner as a frosh and I think that I remember Shaferquoted saying that CB was less demanding mentally than safety and may be easier to transition to from high school with just one fall camp. I'm excited about this kid.

I could agree with this I guess. I would guess he probably wonuldn't get much field time as a frosh and that is probably best but will got a lot of practice in man to man cover skills which can only help. Then move him to FS when he develops more physically and is more mentally ready for the position. Probably a good way to go about it.

That could be but its odd that many are suggesting Desir will be being moved to FS next year when he is currently only 5'-11" 168 lbs.
I assume he would be trying to currently bulk up if we want him to play FS, he has a good frame, and no one knows how big he currently is now. So maybe Desir's 190 right now.

I assume he would be trying to currently bulk up if we want him to play FS, he has a good frame, and no one knows how big he currently is now. So maybe Desir's 190 right now.

I like the positive outlook bnoro but I seriously doubt Desir jumped from 168 to 190 that fast in season.

I like the positive outlook bnoro but I seriously doubt Desir jumped from 168 to 190 that fast in season.

No big deal IMO. It would be nice to see those ultimate safeties start getting in here that crush, cover, and catch... but after last year's tackling exhibition, I'd rather have a smaller guy that knows his limitations and tries to make up for it with good form, than to see another repeat of Phil rocketing himself right by ball carriers with his hands at his side.

Always interesting to guess how much good weight a kid can put on and how quickly, especially given the advances in weight training and nutrition.

My nephew is a freshman at SU. He's been home for break. Not a D-1 athlete and certainly everybody is unique in terms of putting on size. The kid is skinny and 5'10". Put on 12 lbs. in his first semester at school. Maybe I should have him hang out with Macky and the DBs. ;)

Always interesting to guess how much good weight a kid can put on and how quickly, especially given the advances in weight training and nutrition.

My nephew is a freshman at SU. He's been home for break. Not a D-1 athlete and certainly everybody is unique in terms of putting on size. The kid is skinny and 5'10". Put on 12 lbs. in his first semester at school. Maybe I should have him hang out with Macky and the DBs. ;)

Yeah, that's really the name of the scouting game, I think he will be sort of like the football version of Hakim. Works hard, eats a lot, but is just so damn long that he never looks any heavier. I mean dang, forget recruiting another guard in case Dion leaves... put Whigham and MCW at the top of the zone and they will stretch the width of the court. Honestly though, if this kid can convert to corner and stay healthy, he has the profile of a first round pick. Could end up looking an awful lot like Antonio Cromartie. With a bit less speed, but tons more character, and hopefully a far more consistent college career.

Whigham will be brought in as CB, but I agree, he has the moves and look of a FS. Remember, he did play FS in HS, as well. The staff sees him as a big cover man, but he needs to get stronger. If he eventually moves over to FS, he'll need to get a bit bigger, obviously. He's about 6'1" and 175-180lbs now. Also, his posted 4.55/40 speed would need to improve to be a complete cover guy on this level, which should be quite doable with training. Either way, he's a gem and this year's version of Eskridge, just not as big or physical. Desir will come into Spring a little bigger and stronger, about 180lbs. Ricky will become a FS now Thomas is gone. With P-Thomas, Scott, and Fisher gone, and Lynn recovering from a shoulder injury, I can see JW making the 2-deep as the #3 or #4 CB. We'll have to see where Reddish and George pan out this spring and JW's progress in the pre-season. Also, we're still in play for Morgan, who the staff projects as a CB. It can only get better...eventually.