June Jones? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

June Jones?

You need to find an old warhorse and drop them in class. Like Ralph F or yes June Jones but June Jones would be cold in Syracuse in September. Jags, Old coach from Cal who is now going to be fired at Jax. You need a guy that may not flat out be the sexiest hire but a guy with HC experience who can tell scott to stay on his side of the ball and let me handle the O ( within reason)

Just like California Chrome on the turf Saturday, drop in class win by a mile.

You need to find an old warhorse and drop them in class. Like Ralph F or yes June Jones but June Jones would be cold in Syracuse in September. Jags, Old coach from Cal who is now going to be fired at Jax. You need a guy that may not flat out be the s e xiest hire but a guy with HC experience who can tell scott to stay on his side of the ball and let me handle the O ( within reason)

Just like California Chrome on the turf Saturday, drop in class win by a mile.

Tedford left because of a heart condition. And he was at TB, not Jax. It appears that he will not return. I don't know if he's in any condition to coach anymore but if he is, he seems ideal. What we need is an established guy looking for a short-term gig to resurrect his career and excite the players/fanbase. If it works, great. Maybe he can stick around long enough to give an underling some on-the-job training to take over for him. If not, we lost little and he lost little. It'll be harder to get a young up and comer given Shafer's precarious position and harder to get fan buy-in for a hire like that. That's why June Jones is such an intriguing name. So is Tedford, if he's up to it.

My daughter reads Junie B Jones books ... and that's all the Jone's I can stand right now. Our income has tripled since DM made us competitive. I don't accept that we can't, or even that we won't, go out and hire a coach who can out-think, and out-recruit, most of our competition. If something doesn't change we're going to be the butt of jokes like we were under GRob. I'm already petrified whenever we get "national" or even "regional" exposure -- because all we do is suck more publicly. I know there are reasons ... most of our skill players were injured. But isn't that part of the issue? Why is it nearly always our players that are spread all over the field, laying on their backs, after plays? Our talent deficit is cavernous. This is why I hope the discussion about coaching starts with the capacity to bring in better skill players .. without that we could have Belihick and it wouldn't matter.

i think that is great if you can get big fast versatile tight ends. i think that's too big an if. vs just sticking some athlete from NY at the sideline

there are a zillion teams, there is one successful team for every type of offense. but is it really good odds for us to try to be wisconsin? bunch of farm boys working and drinking 10 gallons of milk all day.

I think a certain athlete from NY would be perfect if he ever realizes he's not the next coming of Randy Moss.

I think a guy like Custis would be great in that type of role. We don't need a Gronk.

CIL said:
I think a certain athlete from NY would be perfect if he ever realizes he's not the next coming of Randy Moss. I think a guy like Custis would be great in that type of role. We don't need a Gronk.
Losing luck didn't kill stanford immediately but losing nfl TE did

I really don't believe Shafer would ever hire anyone at OC (or any other coaching position) who could plausibly be seen as a potential successor to him, even though (in my view) that's the approach a confident leader should have no trouble taking.

Firstly I'm in the camp of you cna't fire the guy after a bowl win an losing season in which we got killed by injuries. I'm also not big on the "bring a famous coach in" idea. We won't get him, he'd be too expensive and he won't stay. But this did make my ears perk up.

I was listening to Bud and the Manchild and their producer, Josh Murray, suggested that if we were looking for a new coach,we should consider June Jones, who left SMU this season. My bothe ris a professor at U of Hawaii and we used to discuss the Warriors and the Orangemen when we talked and June Jones had quite a successful tenure out there where they put up big-time offensive numbers. His quarterbacks didn't do well in the NFL and they got a rep as "system" quarterbacks who put up great numbers because of Jones offensive scheme, not because they were great talents. i remember discussing this on this board when we were talking about Colt Brennan and I got a ton of likes when I said that I wished we had a 'system'.

Manchild suggested that at age 61 Jones was "too old" at 61. I happen to be 61 but that doesn't matter because I'm not a coach. But we've got a 70 year old basketball coach and Bill Snyder is 75, so i don't think that's too old, particularly if you have a reputation and Jones has one for high-powered offensive football.

It's been somewhat tarnished by his leaving SMU in a shambles and I don't know all that went on there. Wikipedia says he left " citing "personal issues", which turned out to be due to lack of sleep". Manchild said he'd heard Jones couldn't stand watching SMU's unproductive offense.

Maybe he wouldn't be interested and maybe there's some baggage there but the thought of June Jones in the Carrier Dome with the indoor practice facility and in a power five conference is intriguing. What do you think?

Jones on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Jones#SMU

SMU, (where he coached from 2008 until early this year):
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/SouthernMethodist.htm

Hawaii, where he coached from 1999-2007:
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Hawaii.htm
So June Jones ex Hawaii coach has great recruiting ties in Northeast,right? Look, let's get off the "name" coach thing please. Greg Robinson was our "name" coach experiment. How did that work out again? The right guy for Syracuse is not the "name" coach from Hawaii.

Dcuse said:
So June Jones ex Hawaii coach has great recruiting ties in Northeast,right? Look, let's get off the "name" coach thing please. Greg Robinson was our "name" coach experiment. How did that work out again? The right guy for Syracuse is not the "name" coach from Hawaii.
Greg Robinson wasn't much of a name

Millhouse said:

His name was infamous.

Like, when you're more than famous, you're INfamous.

Attachments

• image-2515949533.jpg
    image-2515949533.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 84
Millhouse said:

I didn't know who he was.

Wish I still didn't.

2014, quit after 0-2, team finished 0-12.
Huh? They're "only" 0-11 at this point.
They'll finish up at 1-11 after their season finale win in Storrs.

Forget the multiple stuff, that's all coach speak. I really agree with Lester's first point, though, especially with regard to our recent offensive performances.

We literally don't do anything well. We have zero offensive identity. If we're Lester and Shafer, I sit down and think about what do we have, and what can this group execute well.

I'm not advocating this offense for eternity, but given the talent we have a QB right now, I would design a run first O with a ton of read option built in under Hunt. My guess is a 21 base (2 TE's) out of the gun - option one is run, but have bubble and jailbreak screens be a check off to Estime and Broyld. Work some play action to the TE in the seams or Ish in a dig or deep in route. You could literally build 15 plays out of that. Do it really, really well before we move to anything else.

Teams knew Marrone was going to pound them and work the intermediate passing game to death. Our passing game didn't thrive until Nassib's last season, but those Marrone teams could move the ball on the ground. Why? Because they made sure every knew What they were doing on every play. This year some of our plays looked like a GD fire drill. We had lineman running wrong ways on screen passes, receivers running wrong routes, etc.

Mc Donald is t dumb, but he clearly overthought it. Playbook was too big. We'd run one play once and never ever go back to it. Why have it in the book at this level?
Because George sucked. He had zero feel guy thought he was hanging out with his play station. He was horrible thats why.

Chip Kelly was an East Coast guy before he went to Oregon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Kelly

Coaches don't do the recruitng alone. They hire assistants in part because of their ability to recruit in certain areas. And if we are using a dynamic, imaginative offense, we can recruit nation-wide. It wouldn't be about the "under-the-radar" guys any more.

This is the answer. Of course, this is SU and they are too reactionary...oh SS won a bowl and had a lot of injuries and this is only his second year! So what, it is pretty obvious he is either (a) not fit to be a head coach (b) not ready to be a head coach yet. I love SS, but he is not the right coach at this time.

Kiffen though? Hell to the Yes! I hate him, but so what. Who the hell says we have to like our head coach??? He wouldn't be here after a couple years anyway! We would be talked about a lot and that alone will help recruiting. The guy had a lot of experience and there is little pressure here compared to the rest of his jobs.

Best case, he is great, we win a lot of games!
Worst case, he sucks and our team sucks...just like we are now.

Anyway, it will never ever happen here. SU doesn't operate this way, sadly.
He was offered the job before Marrone was. Lane and Layla flew up, and Gross took them out to dinner in Skaneateles. He turned the job down. They don't like the cold.

Lane Kiffen as our next head coach (if we have to go there in the next year or two.

They probably pay him more as OC in Alabama than our whole coaching staff.

I thought the same thing at first but he actually only receives $650-750K a year depending on performance. Not sure if he also gets a house paid for by the booster club, but if were willing to pay a little more and hes willing to try and resurrect his career it could work. Problem is if we have another bad year does the whole staff get canned. Could be a risk for him given where he is and what hes doing right now

June Jones has expressed an interest in the UNLV job.