Just a few words on Monday's Luncheon with the coach | Syracusefan.com

Just a few words on Monday's Luncheon with the coach

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Just as I had envisioned, the room reserved for HCDM's weekly luncheon, was filled to capacity. In fact a few people came in near the middle of the proceeding and stood in the back to take a listen.

Coach was a little later than usual, one can only imagine the demands on him from the press after a win like we had on Friday. As Black Knight mentioned, I brought in, what looked to be a scrumptious, Wegman's butter cream cake, half chocolate half white. On the cake was the image of the Ben Scwartzwalder Trophy. That cake made it's way back to the football offices where I believe the football staff and staffers consumed it.

Just before Doug came into the room, what should appear but the real McCoy, wow what an impressive piece of bronze. Just above the West Virginia logo stands Ben as a player in his Mountaineer Days. On the other side is the kneeling Ben, in coaching attire over the block S logo. In the middle is a vintage looking football. On either side there is an inscription one is under the University seal. Black Knight read both sides, maybe he will share with us, just what is inscribed? The wood looks like walnut. Many people got behind the trophy and had their pictures taken with it including several from syracusefan.com.

Coach came into the room and as is his custom, made it around the room and shook every hand.

Matt Park then opened the proceedings, as he always does, by announcing the Big East honors for the Orangemen. Dorian Graham was named special teams player of the week. Chandler Jones was the defensive player of the week and Ryan Nassib was named to the honor roll for what has to be a record sixth time(or is it seven?). Matt also noted that we would have a noon start against UConn.

Then Matt introduced the Head Coach of your 5 & 2 Syracuse University Orange, Doug Marrone.

Everyone rose to their feet and gave him a standing O.

Coach opened by mentioning that he might look gloomy but he isn't. When he hears the response he got he said it belongs to the players, not him. It is for their hard work in getting us to this point.
During his talk, he mentioned that at some point in the second half he looked up into the stands and thought, "I wish I could be up their watching this game with a cold beer in my hand." He later said with a Diet Pepsi. He mentioned that when he got home his family greeted him and his kids said, "It's about time dad!"

Doug said winning the trophy was a top priority for the players and staff. Marrone said you don't know how much winning it, means to the players, staff and myself. Doug recalled that back in the Coach Mac days, Ben attended practices with his old West Virginia coat on. The first time Doug saw that, he was thinking to himself a couple of bleep, bleep expletives. Then Ole Ben would take off the coat and throw it on the ground, revealing a Syracuse Orange shirt, much to the delight of everyone around.

After Friday's nationally televised contest the players took turns holding the trophy. There was quite a ruckus in that locker area, as you could well imagine.

Doug touched on recruiting, he said the move to the ACC didn't lose us one recruit. He said, in fact, we only have a spot or two left. He is really excited about the incoming class, he said it is a very, very good one. In his first two years, he recalled talking to some friends about getting their kids to come here. He got turned down and his pals would say, nah they are looking at Alabama, Penn State or some other such power. He reiterated that it was probably something that we couldn't understand, but face it, we weren't quite there as far as attractiveness goes. Then we show some progress with a 4-8 record but that didn't get us any of the elite recruits. Then the next year gets better, we become bowl eligible and win the Pin Stripe and now we are 8-5. Another step forward but still no top regarded player.

With games like Friday night's, where the place is almost filled and the fans are in a frenzy, the game is on national television and we pull off a huge upset, well that goes a long way in changing the perception of our program.

When Doug opened up the floor for questions, I got called on first. During the game I got to be rah, rah buddies with a group of eight guys, who, in part, were in town to celebrate the birthday of a fellow SU alum. I told them about Doug's Monday luncheons and how they should attend if they were still in Syracuse. One of the guys tweeted a friend about the game. The guy happened to be a room mate of HCDM's while playing for the NFL European League's, London Monarch's. Mike Renna is his name, he played for Delaware in college. He wanted me to say hello to Coach and to let him know he has been following his career and congratulated him for the win. (They were in each others wedding's) Coach got a kick out out that, he said you just don't realize all the people who are out there watching and being affected by what we do.

Go96 asked two questions, I will let him elaborate.

Other board members and tailgate friends in attendance were, Orange Extreme, SUTomCat, Carlos, Tom's buddy from work, OrangeOnions, All4SU, his queen, Diana and Black Knight. At our other table were the aforementioned GO96, DCCuse, his bride and Retro 44.

It was great seeing such a turnout of friends and fans.

Let's hope we can keep this momentum going and meet next Monday at the same bat place, same bat channel with big smiles.

I felt like I was there. Wait a minute I was there.

HCDM said this win was for us to enjoy and he, his staff and players needed to avoid patting themselves on the back and listening to all the excitement. He is really trying to keep the team and staff focused on the next game. He said that Louisville is the type of team that has given us difficulties in the past and it was all about making the adjustments to shift the advantage.

Really encouraging words on the recruiting.

Good job on the cake and report OE.

Great stuff guys. When I was there after the USC game, he said that they had 6-7 spots left for 2012. Interesting to hear him say only 1 or 2 spots left. I wonder if the staff has verbals from kids that nobody knows about yet.

Good report OE.

Thank you for the great report! I wonder who gets the last two ships, Morgan, Thompson, Kuivinen, Crossan, Glanton, Omeally, Lynch?

none of the above,but some of the above have all ready

A couple have already committed and there was no announcement? Is that what you are implying?

For those of us that can't attend thank you for the time and effort to put you post together. From the past weeks I understand you don't usually give details from the question and answer period but you still do a great job filling us in on the rest of the experience. It is much appreciated!

Just as I had envisioned, the room reserved for HCDM's weekly luncheon, was filled to capacity. In fact a few people came in near the middle of the proceeding and stood in the back to take a listen.

Coach was a little later than usual, one can only imagine the demands on him from the press after a win like we had on Friday. As Black Knight mentioned, I brought in, what looked to be a scrumptious, Wegman's butter cream cake, half chocolate half white. On the cake was the image of the Ben Scwartzwalder Trophy. That cake made it's way back to the football offices where I believe the football staff and staffers consumed it.

Just before Doug came into the room, what should appear but the real McCoy, wow what an impressive piece of bronze. Just above the West Virginia logo stands Ben as a player in his Mountaineer Days. On the other side is the kneeling Ben, in coaching attire over the block S logo. In the middle is a vintage looking football. On either side there is an inscription one is under the University seal. Black Knight read both sides, maybe he will share with us, just what is inscribed? The wood looks like walnut. Many people got behind the trophy and had their pictures taken with it including several from syracusefan.com.

Coach came into the room and as is his custom, made it around the room and shook every hand.

Matt Park then opened the proceedings, as he always does, by announcing the Big East honors for the Orangemen. Dorian Graham was named special teams player of the week. Chandler Jones was the defensive player of the week and Ryan Nassib was named to the honor roll for what has to be a record sixth time(or is it seven?). Matt also noted that we would have a noon start against UConn.

Then Matt introduced the Head Coach of your 5 & 2 Syracuse University Orange, Doug Marrone.

Everyone rose to their feet and gave him a standing O.

Coach opened by mentioning that he might look gloomy but he isn't. When he hears the response he got he said it belongs to the players, not him. It is for their hard work in getting us to this point.
During his talk, he mentioned that at some point in the second half he looked up into the stands and thought, "I wish I could be up their watching this game with a cold beer in my hand." He later said with a Diet Pepsi. He mentioned that when he got home his family greeted him and his kids said, "It's about time dad!"

Doug said winning the trophy was a top priority for the players and staff. Marrone said you don't know how much winning it, means to the players, staff and myself. Doug recalled that back in the Coach Mac days, Ben attended practices with his old West Virginia coat on. The first time Doug saw that, he was thinking to himself a couple of bleep, bleep expletives. Then Ole Ben would take off the coat and throw it on the ground, revealing a Syracuse Orange shirt, much to the delight of everyone around.

After Friday's nationally televised contest the players took turns holding the trophy. There was quite a ruckus in that locker area, as you could well imagine.

Doug touched on recruiting, he said the move to the ACC didn't lose us one recruit. He said, in fact, we only have a spot or two left. He is really excited about the incoming class, he said it is a very, very good one. In his first two years, he recalled talking to some friends about getting their kids to come here. He got turned down and his pals would say, nah they are looking at Alabama, Penn State or some other such power. He reiterated that it was probably something that we couldn't understand, but face it, we weren't quite there as far as attractiveness goes. Then we show some progress with a 4-8 record but that didn't get us any of the elite recruits. Then the next year gets better, we become bowl eligible and win the Pin Stripe and now we are 8-5. Another step forward but still no top regarded player.

With games like Friday night's, where the place is almost filled and the fans are in a frenzy, the game is on national television and we pull off a huge upset, well that goes a long way in changing the perception of our program.

When Doug opened up the floor for questions, I got called on first. During the game I got to be rah, rah buddies with a group of eight guys, who, in part, were in town to celebrate the birthday of a fellow SU alum. I told them about Doug's Monday luncheons and how they should attend if they were still in Syracuse. One of the guys tweeted a friend about the game. The guy happened to be a room mate of HCDM's while playing for the NFL European League's, London Monarch's. Mike Renna is his name, he played for Delaware in college. He wanted me to say hello to Coach and to let him know he has been following his career and congratulated him for the win. (They were in each others wedding's) Coach got a kick out out that, he said you just don't realize all the people who are out there watching and being affected by what we do.

Go96 asked two questions, I will let him elaborate.

Other board members and tailgate friends in attendance were, Orange Extreme, SUTomCat, Carlos, Tom's buddy from work, OrangeOnions, All4SU, his queen, Diana and Black Knight. At our other table were the aforementioned GO96, DCCuse, his bride and Retro 44.

It was great seeing such a turnout of friends and fans.

Let's hope we can keep this momentum going and meet next Monday at the same bat place, same bat channel with big smiles.

The first question I asked followed from the post about L'ville's style of play. He gave the same answer that he gave in the press conference today. He said that they have struggled with physical defenses that man press and there is no secret about it.

The second question I asked him to comment on the development of the LB's and the job Dan has done. He went through the 5 guys that play, and focused on the discussion they had game planning this week and how they decided to stay with the commitment of developing Davis and limit him to the 4-3 right now and what a great job Sirki did in the Okie.

A couple have already committed and there was no announcement? Is that what you are implying?
Just a thought. This time of year... guys wait to announce on a commit, hoping the schools still chasing them will notice a teammate?

Just a thought. This time of year... guys wait to announce on a commit, hoping the schools still chasing them will notice a teammate?

That could be likely ... I am by no means an insider when it comes to the recruiting game and what these kids do. Once I hear about a commit I try to learn as much as I can about them but prior to their verbals I don't get too wrapped around the axle with their thought process. Of course for all we know the staff has a couple guys that have given verbals and like you said both the coaches and players are keeping it mum. Then again maybe some guys keep it quiet in case they change their mind and don't want to be chastised ... damn I don't know.

I was going to ask if we had recruits at the game, but didn't know if it was posted previously. I know we used to get updates on that with premium memberships. So I didn't know if that info was being withheld until a premium group was created.

Nice reports guys.

A few more tidbits. Regarding sustaining improvement in the team, DM talked about what he called the equation for boiling water, where it is relatively easy to get to the boiling point but very hard (it requires a lot of energy) to get beyond that. He tells the players to get to the next level, they have to work even harder, drawing a scientific anology.

He has in the past talked about recruiting, and how the staff has been behind with each class (you ideally want to start spending quality time evaluating players, contacting them, getting them on campus some 18 months before LOI day).

They haven't had the luxury of doing this...they needed to spend more time than they wanted on the senior class the first year, and that made them behind on the next class, which made them behind on the following class, etc.

At this point, DM says for the first time since they have been here, they have caught up and are now actually ahead of where they want to be regarding the class of 2013. They have finished the evaluation process and are actively moving forward (as mentioned, recruiting for the the class this year is pretty much done). While DM mentioned the staff is really happy with the 2011 and 2012 classes, he has great hopes for the 2013 class. Feels really good about it now.

Look for the class of 2013 to be DM's first great class. Things are all positioning themselves for that class to be a special one.

none of the above,but some of the above have all ready

Any word on Goins? Obviously the coach can't comment in public about specific players but would have to think if he had high interest and made the WVU game then he may have pulled the trigger?

he has all ready evaluated over 2000 high schools jr.s this year
mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

The first question I asked followed from the post about L'ville's style of play. He gave the same answer that he gave in the press conference today. He said that they have struggled with physical defenses that man press and there is no secret about it.

The second question I asked him to comment on the development of the LB's and the job Dan has done. He went through the 5 guys that play, and focused on the discussion they had game planning this week and how they decided to stay with the commitment of developing Davis and limit him to the 4-3 right now and what a great job Sirki did in the Okie.

Louisville will present a real challenge. It will be interesting to see whether the offense has improved since Rutgers.

Great report, Eyes. Thanks a bunch. Notes on these kinds of events paint a great picture. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom