Just got back to LA... | Syracusefan.com

Just got back to LA...

DNABB5

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
Well actually I got back last night. But I will get to the drive later. First some quick thoughts on the amazing Syracusefan.com tailgate before I discuss my 6400 mile tour of old manifest destiny wagon trails.

First, some 13 years after first joining this collection of Syracuse fans online, I was finally able to meet Joyce, i.e. the world famous cto. That was everything I though it would be, and I did indeed recognize her from TV. Albeit brief, it was a truly a pleasure as she has imparted so much to Syracuse University Athletics. The other long term poster I finally met was Jake, and sorry man, but I pictured you much older in my minds eye, mostly due to great wisdom and it was likewise a pleasure to meet you.

Rekindled acquaintances with TexanMark, bees, cuseregular (whose bride let me sample a small glass of some Ciro Rosso Classico from the old country), jeremycuse and his bride (who gave me two too many jello shots), PeteCalvin and his boy, brono and BlackKnight, CayahogaCuse and his family, RayinVa, and of course the engine of this board, Orangeyes. I am bummed I never actually got to talk to tomcat, but I did eavesdrop on one of his conversations...

Go to meet fellow brewer JSorange07 and I was very thankful to get my ticket from CuseCrew08 in his super spiffy orange blazer and met his dad and uncle (I think) and I again got to eat a snappy griller. That Otto Cake was great, having Sam Adams on tap, the jello shots and delicious red from Italy next to the world traveling gnome...yeah I tied one on pretty well. I was also happy to stand in the rain. You never miss the water till the well runs dry. Many apologies if I forgot to mention you, but it has been a whirlwind.

As to the game I am so late I know much had been said, but as I recall I was yelling (read drunkenly shouting so I lost my voice, because it is football) about offensive PI on one int, Zion Jones got roped down on one TD pass without a hold, they also has a procedure that looked obvious missed. When we were trying to still make it a game Broylds drop killed it and then later a missed PI. But it was still an old fashioned Kevin Mason vs. Miami whuppin. I hope Clemson gets to play for the NC, and I think they might. I was told to sit down, I mostly ignored those requests.

As to the drive...I-15 to NV has a great stretch on it in Northern Arizona I never knew about through the Virgin River Canyon. I wish I had a motorcycle for it. Second, I-70 through Utah to Denver is fun. It was truly respite for a Tioga County raised country boy living in LA to hear the absolute silence of the Salt Flow plain and a great drive to Denver, after that to Cinci...not so much. I stopped for gas in Lawrence, KS and purposely changed into my old free East Syracuse Chevrolet issued Orangemen Basketball shirt. After doing business in Cincinnati I trekked to a surf a friends couch in Hagerstown MD and I was very happy to pay $2 for a full 16 oz. draft of the 1829 classic Yuengling, of which I transported 4 cases back to the Left Coast. Then up to my hometown then Syracuse for the game then back to my hometown for the 34th Annual Apple Festival. I brought back NY Cheese, Maple Syrup and maple cream, and 2 gallons of fresh pressed Apple Cider. Going back because I had to go to Sacramento first, I took I80 from where it picks up 90 in Cleveland and rode it the whole way. That is a lot of road. Pretty proud I did it in 52 hours real time. It was obvious that many upstaters were the first Pioneers as I went through Illinois and Iowa, or they just ran out of names for towns. Cicero, DeWitt, Rochester, Utica, Oswego, Booneville, and about 15 more I can't recall. Then I got to Nebraska, my apologies to LincolnCuse, but that is the most boring state to drive through. The only highlight was when I could see the Platte River. Also the last of the lower 48 I had never set foot in, so now I can say I have done that. Wyoming was kind of pretty, like Nevada, but man was it sparse and dry. What I was impressed with, and I am sure OttointheGrotto will affirm, is that I understand why Brigham Young stopped and founded SLC. I-80 from WY border to SLC is, in this writers opinion, the most beautiful stretch of highway in the country. From Reno to Sacramento is up there too. As I came all the way down 5 in the central valley I realized how much of everything we eat is due to that dessert valley and how much they are dependent on irrigation, things I knew in my head but had not seen. Then, when I finally got over Bear Mountain, it hailed and there was a rainbow and I couldn't unload for four hours because, shocker, they were filming a movie downtown. One that is supposedly set in NYC as evidenced by the fake Subway Stairs on the sidewalk. Fitting because it was a long strange trip...hopefully next time I will see a Syracuse football win (only two I have seen since 2001 are @NC 49-47 2OT and @Cincinnati 31-7)

Now let's make Syracuse vs. NCSt. 1-6 all time.

L G O !!!!!

Last edited:
Now I remember where I met you first. It was the double OT win at Nort Carolina. Hope your next trip back east is a winning one!!

wow dude what a trip (literally!). Fascinating read. Great to see you again.

Now I remember where I met you first. It was the double OT win at Nort Carolina. Hope your next trip back east is a winning one!!

Yep, when RayinVa was ChesBayRay...

As far as wins, I have had a GREAT track record of games I was planning on getting to, couldn't due to circumstances, that we then won. @Ville 2007 , @Notre Dame 2008, Rutgers 2009 beatdown, both WV and UofL in the dome and soon @Maryland (somebody buy the ticket minicuse got for me :()

Last edited:
It was great seeing you again. Can't believe it had been almost 5 years since we last shared beers in Memphis. Let's make sure it's not another 5.

I'm not sure this road trip will ever be topped in the annals of syracusefan.com history. When we played at USC, we used this airplane thingy to get there and back. :)

In all seriousness, it was good to catch up with you. They say in life you've got limitations on time, money and health. Rarely do you have moments when all three come together. But when you do have a surplus in all three areas, you get moments like you just experienced on I-80 between Wyoming and Salt Lake City, where you had an experience you'll remember forever.

Glad you made it safely home. Enjoy that New York cheese and cider. See you again down the road at some future tailgate.

I don't know you, and I'm certain I'm much younger...

But I hope I'm as happy and friendly as a guy someday as you seem to be Dnabb

sounds like an awesome trip, especially the "dessert valley" ... nice work getting to all 50

It was nice meeting you Dnabb. My nephew and I had fun chatting with you. We'll see you at future tailgates, I'm sure.

You are one dedicated Syracuse fan and may have the record for the most miles to and from a game in the history of this board via highway.

Thanks for sharing the trip with us, I could vividly envision many of the sights you described.

Let's hear it for the East Syracuse Chevrolet T-shirt!!!

Hey it was a blast sitting with you man! Glad you made it back! Yes those three calls were the draw of your ire. Everybody in 319 was made aware of it hahaha. Make it back east sooner than later!

I knew that would make you smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well actually I got back last night. But I will get to the drive later. First some quick thoughts on the amazing Syracusefan.com tailgate before I discuss my 6400 mile tour of old manifest destiny wagon trails.

First, some 13 years after first joining this collection of Syracuse fans online, I was finally able to meet Joyce, i.e. the world famous cto. That was everything I though it would be, and I did indeed recognize her from TV. Albeit brief, it was a truly a pleasure as she has imparted so much to Syracuse University Athletics. The other long term poster I finally met was Jake, and sorry man, but I pictured you much older in my minds eye, mostly due to great wisdom and it was likewise a pleasure to meet you.

Rekindled acquaintances with TexanMark, bees, cuseregular (whose bride let me sample a small glass of some Ciro Rosso Classico from the old country), jeremycuse and his bride (who gave me two too many jello shots), PeteCalvin and his boy, brono and BlackKnight, CayahogaCuse and his family, RayinVa, and of course the engine of this board, Orangeyes. I am bummed I never actually got to talk to tomcat, but I did eavesdrop on one of his conversations...

Go to meet fellow brewer JSorange07 and I was very thankful to get my ticket from CuseCrew08 in his super spiffy orange blazer and met his dad and uncle (I think) and I again got to eat a snappy griller. That Otto Cake was great, having Sam Adams on tap, the jello shots and delicious red from Italy next to the world traveling gnome...yeah I tied one on pretty well. I was also happy to stand in the rain. You never miss the water till the well runs dry. Many apologies if I forgot to mention you, but it has been a whirlwind.

As to the game I am so late I know much had been said, but as I recall I was yelling (read drunkenly shouting so I lost my voice, because it is football) about offensive PI on one int, Zion Jones got roped down on one TD pass without a hold, they also has a procedure that looked obvious missed. When we were trying to still make it a game Broylds drop killed it and then later a missed PI. But it was still an old fashioned Kevin Mason vs. Miami whuppin. I hope Clemson gets to play for the NC, and I think they might. I was told to sit down, I mostly ignored those requests.

As to the drive...I-15 to NV has a great stretch on it in Northern Arizona I never knew about through the Virgin River Canyon. I wish I had a motorcycle for it. Second, I-70 through Utah to Denver is fun. It was truly respite for a Tioga County raised country boy living in LA to hear the absolute silence of the Salt Flow plain and a great drive to Denver, after that to Cinci...not so much. I stopped for gas in Lawrence, KS and purposely changed into my old free East Syracuse Chevrolet issued Orangemen Basketball shirt. After doing business in Cincinnati I trekked to a surf a friends couch in Hagerstown MD and I was very happy to pay $2 for a full 16 oz. draft of the 1829 classic Yuengling, of which I transported 4 cases back to the Left Coast. Then up to my hometown then Syracuse for the game then back to my hometown for the 34th Annual Apple Festival. I brought back NY Cheese, Maple Syrup and maple cream, and 2 gallons of fresh pressed Apple Cider. Going back because I had to go to Sacramento first, I took I80 from where it picks up 90 in Cleveland and rode it the whole way. That is a lot of road. Pretty proud I did it in 52 hours real time. It was obvious that many upstaters were the first Pioneers as I went through Illinois and Iowa, or they just ran out of names for towns. Cicero, DeWitt, Rochester, Utica, Oswego, Booneville, and about 15 more I can't recall. Then I got to Nebraska, my apologies to LincolnCuse, but that is the most boring state to drive through. The only highlight was when I could see the Platte River. Also the last of the lower 48 I had never set foot in, so now I can say I have done that. Wyoming was kind of pretty, like Nevada, but man was it sparse and dry. What I was impressed with, and I am sure OttointheGrotto will affirm, is that I understand why Brigham Young stopped and founded SLC. I-80 from WY border to SLC is, in this writers opinion, the most beautiful stretch of highway in the country. From Reno to Sacramento is up there too. As I came all the way down 5 in the central valley I realized how much of everything we eat is due to that dessert valley and how much they are dependent on irrigation, things I knew in my head but had not seen. Then, when I finally got over Bear Mountain, it hailed and there was a rainbow and I couldn't unload for four hours because, shocker, they were filming a movie downtown. One that is supposedly set in NYC as evidenced by the fake Subway Stairs on the sidewalk. Fitting because it was a long strange trip...hopefully next time I will see a Syracuse football win (only two I have seen since 2001 are @NC 49-47 2OT and @Cincinnati 31-7)

Now let's make Syracuse vs. NCSt. 1-6 all time.

L G O !!!!!

Glad you made it back. That was quite a trip.

Really want to drive I80 from the Mississippi to Sacramento someday, retracing the path of the original transcontinental railroad.

The other long term poster I finally met was Jake, and sorry man, but I pictured you much older in my minds eye, mostly due to great wisdom and it was likewise a pleasure to meet you.

Very interesting point - I have always thought of Jake as older as well... also because of the the wisdomly (if thats a word?) posts.

sorry Jake.

Now, I am picturing you as like a George Clooney in Ocean's series.

It did.
Heard your questions last night on the coaches show on the way back from Hamilton NY and my first round of golf at Seven Oaks.

Matt & HCSS were very complimentary of you and your family.

One of the questions concerned the wideouts and HCSS said that they were blanketed the whole game.

It was great seeing you again. Can't believe it had been almost 5 years since we last shared beers in Memphis. Let's make sure it's not another 5.

I should be somewhat established (i.e. able to drop a grand) by the bowl game. :) Really think the team can bounce back and do it's part, but I am kind of an optimist.

You are one dedicated Syracuse fan and may have the record for the most miles to and from a game in the history of this board via highway.

Thanks for sharing the trip with us, I could vividly envision many of the sights you described.

No Dan, thank you for the dedication to get the articles up.

Glad you made it back. That was quite a trip.

Really want to drive I80 from the Mississippi to Sacramento someday, retracing the path of the original transcontinental railroad.

It was really neat. I wish I had time to stop a lot more. Even Nebraska might have turned out better and I did most of northern Nevada at night.

I was hit in the face with it a long time ago by this Dance Team member named Marci. It is kind of a cherished item.

Last edited:
Heard your questions last night on the coaches show on the way back from Hamilton NY and my first round of golf at Seven Oaks.

One of the questions concerned the wideouts and HCSS said that they were blanketed the whole game.

Dan - Thanks - very nice to hear!

Actually I couldn't listen.

I couldn't find the show online.

Is the show no longer streamed on the SU Athletics website?

Dan - Thanks - very nice to hear!

Actually I couldn't listen.

I couldn't find the show online.

Is the show no longer streamed on the SU Athletics website?
Not sure?

What were your other questions, I may be able to remember the answers?

Not sure?

What were your other questions, I may be able to remember the answers?

Just the one - how did the coach assess Terrel Hunt's performance after reviewing the film.

Maybe someone else who listened can remember.

SWC usually writes up the show

Seven Oaks is worth a "like," Dan. Great course!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom