Just imagine how much better Syracuse Basketball might have been these last 40 years without JB! | Syracusefan.com

Just imagine how much better Syracuse Basketball might have been these last 40 years without JB!

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
I lived in Syracuse from 1981 to 1986. In that time, the two strikes against Boeheim were 1) He couldn't recruit; and 2) With all the talent he has, why doesn't the team perform better? The third strike is formulating now. He's too old.
I hope to God the transition to a new coach goes well, but whoever inherits this tradition has weighty shoes to fill. I grate at the criticism of JB I see on this site. The only reason SU isn't another Niagara, or St. Bonaventure, or Temple, or Holy Cross, or LaSalle, or UMass, or Fordham, or Duquesne, or Drake, or DePaul, or any number of colleges that had great traditions but have suffered through time, and were close to SU's equivalence when JB took over is JB himself.
The transition will be difficult no matter what. Save yourself from looking like an ass by denigrating him on his way out. And don't be surprised if he has one more act before the show is over.
Good luck to the coach who follows JB. I wish them the best. They have one hell of an act to follow.

Jim certainly was a huge part but the Big East, ESPN and the Carrier Dome played large roles too.

ive always looked at it differently. Boeheim, Thompson, massimino and carnaseca made the big East. JB and the pearl made the dome. And Espn was a benefactor of all of that as well as being a supporter of the big East and they all benefited from each other.

I've written my mind on the jig being up for JB before but also that he is and will forever be 3.99 of the 4 pillars that are SU hoops. While change isn't likely coming that soon despite it being needed, I honestly think that college hoops in general just won't be the same ever again. The Big East years are obviously some of the best ever from the dominance for so many years, the most memorable conference tournament moments of any league and overall just being iconic to basketball and furthering the lore of MSG beyond what it was just with the knicks .

Today and for the future, some of the coaching icons are nearing the end of their road. Guys like Bennett, Mack, Holtmann, Wright and a few others will step in to be the next wave but they won't ever be quite the same as the legends who laid the foundation. The college career timeline is shrinking, the court is shrinking and while it's still fun, the game just isn't the same as it was. Who knows what it looks like in 20 years. All the current frustration aside I still enjoy watching re runs of our best years and the Big Easts nearly as much or more than the new games every night.

Last edited:
There is so much change happening in every corner of our country, and other countries in the world. Let’s not forget our planet! People look to the future and it feels scary and disconcerting. I have looked to SU basketball as a pick me up, and as something soothing. There is something almost hypnotic about walking to the Dome, greeting all the ushers and the fans around us, feeling affection for our players, the joy of the “swish” - etc. For me, it’s an oasis, even when the team isn’t doing well. Don’t get me wrong. I vastly prefer it when the team is doing well.

JB truly is a living legend. There are no guarantees. Even Carolina and Duke may suffer when Williams and K step away. I am so grateful to our Coach for what he has given us, even as I recognize that his time is coming to an end. Because after the end? Who knows?

Eras pass away, things pass away. What did Gandalf say? “The time of the Elves is ending. Now is the time for Man.” (Something like that.) Who knows? Maybe college basketball will stabilize and become great again! I hope the person who one day sits in my seat will enjoy the game and love the teams as much as I have.

I liked your post, Delmar!

I lived in Syracuse from 1981 to 1986. In that time, the two strikes against Boeheim were 1) He couldn't recruit; and 2) With all the talent he has, why doesn't the team perform better? The third strike is formulating now. He's too old.
I hope to God the transition to a new coach goes well, but whoever inherits this tradition has weighty shoes to fill. I grate at the criticism of JB I see on this site. The only reason SU isn't another Niagara, or St. Bonaventure, or Temple, or Holy Cross, or LaSalle, or UMass, or Fordham, or Duquesne, or Drake, or DePaul, or any number of colleges that had great traditions but have suffered through time, and were close to SU's equivalence when JB took over is JB himself.
The transition will be difficult no matter what. Save yourself from looking like an ass by denigrating him on his way out. And don't be surprised if he has one more act before the show is over.
Good luck to the coach who follows JB. I wish them the best. They have one hell of an act to follow.
No one is disputing his greatness or what he means to this program. But he still should have stepped down when said he would. Sometimes it’s just time move on

JB has been doing a great job considering the extremely long NCAA investigation to prove that SU had relatively minor violations and was severely punished for the NCAA's moronic bias (See PedState, Auburn, University of No Classes, etc.). In spite of the losses of scholarships, changing conferences, severe injuries to players, loss of a future Hall of Fame Head Coach (Mike Hopkins), etc., etc. etc., JB has continued to find ways to win.

Though I am not a fan of trying to make shooting guards and small forwards into point guards, JB has been making do with this tactic. JB has never lost his desire to run a great transition game, his defense is built to take advantage of the transition game. He has had to modify the offense and slow it down due to the number of players available, but this year, we see the scoring increases and the style of play is up-tempo more so the last few years with a limited number of healthy ad available players.

Count me out of the group of fans that believe JB can no longer coach. He remains competitive and nobody counts Syracuse as an automatic win. Sure, JB has lost some of the top recruits, but that is part of the game, especially when dealing with young kids who are just stepping into adulthood. Real coaching occurs when you have adversity and you survive, or better yet, thrive. SU is one of the winningest programs of all times. JB is #2 on the all-tie wins list. SU has more than survived, SU has more than thrived. We Orange fans are spoiled and we have to face the fact that we cannot win a Championship annually.

Take a look at this year's team. We have some stellar recruits, they are already contributing, some more than we expected or would normally want. If you don't see any potential with this class of freshmen, I am not sure you are watching. Further, this team is one of the youngest in D1 hoops.

Anyway, if you want to push JB out and hire someone, define your requirements and then propose your candidates to John Wildhack, SUAD, I am sure he will provide your input the due respect and consideration it deserves.

I know many disagree with me, and that is your right. However, don't wish for JB's departure until we know who will replace him. We are probably going to regret JB's replacement, unless he wins two championships in his first five years. We are a spoiled lot and there is only so much room at the top of the CBB world. JB's replacement is likely to be a step backwards from what we are accustomed.

Regardless, remember, we are all Orange fans, through and through. GO ORANGE!

Its sports, coaching transitions happen. Syracuse will figure out, just cant expect no hardtimes while transitioning. This isn’t the first time a legendary coach retired

I lived in Syracuse from 1981 to 1986. In that time, the two strikes against Boeheim were 1) He couldn't recruit; and 2) With all the talent he has, why doesn't the team perform better?
Don't recall hearing the first complaint.

But the biggest gripe - and with some legitimacy - was that he didn't have a good sense of momentum.
Late calling timeouts and early trying to run clock.
(The last game at Manley is a good example of the latter).
It took a few seasons but that seems to have dissipated.
The last time I can recall that happening and the only time in years before that was the debacle against Pitt in 2008 when SU blew a big lead in the last 3:30 or so.
Longtime fans may have seen it coming early in the late Pitt run.

Just imagine how much better Syracuse Basketball might have been these last 40 years without JB!

i heard JB telling matt park on his show thursday that christmas eve he had been visited by 3 ghosts.
first was the ghost of christmas past. he showed him fast breaks and alley oop dunks.
second came the ghost of christmas present. he showed him a trey launching lightly recruited all zone bubble team. third and most horrible came the ghost of future N.I.T.s ...

luckily JB never met that horrible ghoul. he (like the rest of us) fell back asleep watching the present game clips.

3259cc05-8f2f-4028-acd3-963d1ff42bd0.JPG

Last edited:
SU is the 7th in the country for wins since 2001, Great School in a miserable city, except for the great Italian restaurants, Columbus bakery, and the beautiful weather

FACT: I love, have loved, will ALWAYS love Jim Boeheim. He is, was, and always will be synonymous with Syracuse, both the City and the basketball team. That's a given.

Also FACT: It's time.
Yes, the fans are spoiled by the greatness and have taken alot for granted all these years. But, for better or worse, we exist in a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" microwaveable society that wants results...YESTERDAY! This year will be hard, and patience is an afterthought, but it is, what it is. The worst elements of SU fandom will fall on his shoulders, not unlike what we saw in those early years. But its the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

The 2 issues can be mutually exclusive: We can respect and love JB for all he's accomplished, and also feel that its time for him to go.

FACT: I love, have loved, will ALWAYS love Jim Boeheim. He is, was, and always will be synonymous with Syracuse, both the City and the basketball team. That's a given.

Yes, the fans are spoiled by the greatness and have taken alot for granted all these years. But, for better or worse, we exist in a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" microwaveable society that wants results...YESTERDAY! This year will be hard, and patience is an afterthought, but it is, what it is. The worst elements of SU fandom will fall on his shoulders, not unlike what we saw in those early years. But its the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

The 2 issues can be mutually exclusive: We can respect and love JB for all he's accomplished, and also feel that its time for him to go.

Agreed, I have always defended Jimmy until the end and he should and will leave on his own terms. That being said, I wish his terms would be soon. It's tough though because he gave up the option to coach any of his kids because he was always coaching Cuse. Now, he has the chance and I can't blame him for taking it. Just hope the program doesn't descend even more because of it.

Some people say it is selfish and I agree but he's earned it. He built Cuse Basketball regardless of what others say it was not (Roy Danforth, or ESPN). I am certainly baffled though by finishing 2nd or having such really bad recruiting luck.

Yeh, but maybe don’t use the word ”FACT” when it’s really opinion or feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:

i heard JB telling matt park on his show thursday that christmas eve he had been visited by 3 ghosts.
first was the ghost of christmas past. he showed him fast breaks and alley oop dunks.
second came the ghost of christmas present. he showed him a trey launching lightly recruited all zone bubble team. third and most horrible came the ghost of future N.I.T.s ...

luckily JB never met that horrible ghoul. he (like the rest of us) fell back asleep watching the present game clips.

3259cc05-8f2f-4028-acd3-963d1ff42bd0.JPG
Wow! So very clever. I so wasn’t expecting you to trash JB. Like OMG you wrote that! Wow, you really have him figured out. Imagine this board without you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom