Just think about the impact Diagne would have had on this year's squad | Syracusefan.com

Just think about the impact Diagne would have had on this year's squad

RF2044

Living Legend
Singlehandedly, he might have addressed of our four biggest team weaknesses, namely:
  • Lack of depth at center
  • Lack of shotblocking from the pivot [Lydon has actually fared well in this regard]
  • Lack of size / strength when DC is out of the game
  • Lack of inside scoring
With Moutsapha Diagne on the roster, we would be a MUCH different team, expecially given how center appears to be our achilles heel this season. That was a damned costly ruling by the NCAA clearinghouse.

Yeah that one really hurts. I think Tyler has performed better at the 5 than anyone could have predicted, but I think playing him there for 30 minutes a night against top level competition isn't going to work out too well.

My first thought as soon as he was ruled out.

So who's the odd man out at crunch time if DC can establish himself in the middle? I think Lydon has to be on the floor. He's a great free throw shooter and been our best defender so far by advanced metrics.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but by the end of this season I predict the presumed abilities of Diagne are going to reach mythical proportions the likes of which have not been approached since Paul Harris committed.

Yep. Huge loss. He seemed like he would be physically ready from day one and had some good post skills/moves.

He's playing well on his JUCO team. IDK how good he would have been here, but he was my favorite recruit of the bunch and he'd be better in the middle of the zone than Chino, at the very very least.

The NCCA can go eat a bag of Richards.

He's the same size as Roberson and a freshman. Why is it so easily assumed that he would have been amazing for us at the 5?

He's the same size as Roberson and a freshman. Why is it so easily assumed that he would have been amazing for us at the 5?

No he isn't -- he outweighs Roberson by at least 25 pounds, legitimately. Diagne is a big, strong kid.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but by the end of this season I predict the presumed abilities of Diagne are going to reach mythical proportions the likes of which have not been approached since Paul Harris committed.

False. Numerous posters [including my father] have watched this kid play live, and have broken down the nuances of his game in painstaking detail.

Diagne has the size / strength to be a factor inside, a highly refined low post game that includes him being able to score with either hand and play with his back to the basket. He's a very good rebounder and shot blocker. He would have had an impact this year on a team starved for post precence / depth.

No he isn't -- he outweighs Roberson by at least 25 pounds, legitimately. Diagne is a big, strong kid.

He's 6'8" with shoes, I should have clarified height.

He's 6'8" with shoes, I should have clarified height.

Gotcha--yes, agree 100% that he is "only" 6-8 [confirmed by numerous posters who've seen him play live], which is a bit smaller than ideal for our system. But his strength / weight would have helped him compensate for that to a degree. I think down the road, he was skilled enough that his ideal position would have been at the 4, but he definitely could have been a contributor this year.

I agree that Diagne would be a huge player this year for the program. the highly rated players all come hoping to be a one and done kind of player. So far only Malachi is close to this dream.

I agree that Diagne would be a huge player this year for the program. the highly rated players all come hoping to be a one and done kind of player. So far only Malachi is close to this dream.

Not sure what you mean by this but Diange was 20-30 slots higher than Lydon.

Singlehandedly, he might have addressed of our four biggest team weaknesses, namely:
  • Lack of depth at center
  • Lack of shotblocking from the pivot [Lydon has actually fared well in this regard]
  • Lack of size / strength when DC is out of the game
  • Lack of inside scoring
With Moutsapha Diagne on the roster, we would be a MUCH different team, expecially given how center appears to be our achilles heel this season. That was a damned costly ruling by the NCAA clearinghouse.
Yes absolutely to everything you are saying, but I believe we never would have gotten Chukwu and I am going to go out on a limb and say that as it stands as of today, if everyone is on the roster next year that we think is going to be there, we have the potential to be a top ten team. I like Diagne also but I think Chukwu's upside is much greater. He could potentially turn into a Rudy Gobert type player. A highly disruptive influence on defense and someone long enough to score some points on the offensive end. I'm willing to wait and see.

Yes absolutely to everything you are saying, but I believe we never would have gotten Chukwu and I am going to go out on a limb and say that as it stands as of today, if everyone is on the roster next year that we think is going to be there, we have the potential to be a top ten team. I like Diagne also but I think Chukwu's upside is much greater. He could potentially turn into a Rudy Gobert type player. A highly disruptive influence on defense and someone long enough to score some points on the offensive end. I'm willing to wait and see.
I've seen too many of these tall rail thin kids become lost at this level of play I hope Chkwu gets enough S&C and big man coaching to get his potential to reality.
Not sure what you mean by this but Diange was 20-30 slots higher than Lydon.
OK whats your point?

So who's the odd man out at crunch time if DC can establish himself in the middle? I think Lydon has to be on the floor. He's a great free throw shooter and been our best defender so far by advanced metrics.

Not trying to knock your post at all but I crack up at basketball advanced metrics for some reason. Anyone watching this team and not noting that Lydon has been the best defender and really the X factor to large degree in the first three games of the season is not a very good basketball fan.

Not trying to knock your post at all but I crack up at basketball advanced metrics for some reason. Anyone watching this team and not noting that Lydon has been the best defender and really the X factor to large degree in the first three games of the season is not a very good basketball fan.

I agree with you, but some people...

I think Lydon ends up being one of the closers throughout the year regardless of who else is on the court.

I agree with you, but some people...

I think Lydon ends up being one of the closers throughout the year regardless of who else is on the court.

Agreed. I love advanced metrics in baseball, but somehow I still feel like basketball is something where traditional metrics and eyeballs really tell you a huge percentage of the story. That's not really to criticize advanced metrics -- I think it's always cool to find new ways to view and dissect a sport. But somehow I just personally don't find them that useful.

Maybe so, but it's not likely to be sustainable against teams with big front courts when we get to the meat of the schedule.