Just who is Eric Dungey? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just who is Eric Dungey?

One of the best QB’s to play at Syracuse.

Let’s pump the brakes on that talk. Love the kid but he’s not healthy enough to be anywhere near top for me. Off top of head, Don Mac, McNabb, Graves, Philcox, Hurley and Nassib. U can argue Kevin Mason in his one year was better than any Dungey year too.

This year may propel but gonna take 10 games played

He's one of the best already at what?

Of course much of it is a function of the quality of the team, but in the 17 games he's started against P5 teams, his line is 361/610, 59%, 4134 yd, 6.8pa, (243pg), 24TDs, 16Ints. Record is 5 - 12. That's not great.

I'm not saying he can't improve, but he has to get better.

I don't have the 1999 game logs handy, but in Troy Nunes last 3 years against P6 teams he was 7-12, 181/324, 56%, 2150 yards, 6.6 ypa, 11 TDs, 17 INTs.

Dungey throws the ball at twice the rate, and he's a much better runner, but to your point he has to pass better against P5 teams.

I really like Dungey a lot, but just because we've had mediocre-to-terrible QB play since McNabb left campus doesn't mean he's among the all-time best SU QBs.

I don't have the 1999 game logs handy, but in Troy Nunes last 3 years against P6 teams he was 7-12, 181/324, 56%, 2150 yards, 6.6 ypa, 11 TDs, 17 INTs.

Dungey throws the ball at twice the rate, and he's a much better runner, but to your point he has to pass better against P5 teams.

I really like Dungey a lot, but just because we've had mediocre-to-terrible QB play since McNabb left campus doesn't mean he's among the all-time best SU QBs.

we lose our minds sometimes as to what we <think> the offense will become and how they will become as a team. But i need to see it first. We're still a 4-8 team. Strip away the "what abouts", the team kinda stinks until further notice. Dungey has QB'd this for 4 years now and has been knocked out each year. A true leader will figure out a way to stick it out and push this team forward. I <think> he does it this year but it's gonna take a Flutie-esque effort on his part

we lose our minds sometimes as to what we <think> the offense will become and how they will become as a team. But i need to see it first. We're still a 4-8 team. Strip away the "what abouts", the team kinda stinks until further notice. Dungey has QB'd this for 4 years now and has been knocked out each year. A true leader will figure out a way to stick it out and push this team forward. I <think> he does it this year but it's gonna take a Flutie-esque effort on his part

A true leader doesn’t break his foot? SMH.

A true leader doesn’t break his foot? SMH.

I'm assuming he means that for 2018 Dungey needs to find a way to stay on the field. Obviously no-fault injuries happen, but Dungey also has a history of playing so recklessly as to endanger himself. That's why we love him. But I'll take him sliding a few times a game if it means playing 13 games this season.

Let’s pump the brakes on that talk. Love the kid but he’s not healthy enough to be anywhere near top for me. Off top of head, Don Mac, McNabb, Graves, Philcox, Hurley and Nassib. U can argue Kevin Mason in his one year was better than any Dungey year too.

Depends on what metrics you choose, how you evaluate talent around them (recruiting), SoS, system, pro vs college, best wins, benefit of running game, etc.

I suspect you’re undervaluing the OL/RB some of the greats got to play with compared to Dungey, for example.

W/L record is really tricky.

I will say not finishing a season is a major demerit.

That’s one way to look at it. Are we sure *random Syracuse great QB* would finish better than 4-8 against that schedule with that line, subpar running game, and a fragile defense?

The true leader line is 1000% bunk, IMO. Getting sidelined by injury has nothing to do with leadership.

That’s one way to look at it. Are we sure *random Syracuse great QB* would finish better than 4-8 against that schedule with that line, subpar running game, and a fragile defense?

The true leader line is 1000% bunk, IMO. Getting sidelined by injury has nothing to do with leadership.

I am 1,000% sure McNabb/Don Mac would have absolutely turned that record upside down. Did you watch those guys? I ask sincerely. I'd say 900% Graves and Philcox get to 6 wins. Norley/Mason, toss up but i'd take my chances.

I'm blaming Dungey for the injuries b/c he's jumping over guys and running like a fullback. I saw this with Rob Konrad too who was supremely talented but never played a full season (and he was a fullback, not a qb).

A great QB can win games single handidly in college football. If we're gonna use your metrics we should discount every single great qb who had played in a tough conference with a system, great RB, etc.

At some point we need to see wins from the qb to annoint "great". That's me anyway.

Legacies can certainly change based upon what happens senior year. Case in point: Ryan Nassib.

Dungey has the opportunity to carve his niche in the program history books with a big senior year. If he gets the team back to a bowl, paving the foundation for continued success under this coaching staff, he'll be remembered reverentially.

If not, then his place in program history [despite being gutsy / athletic / exciting] is definitely a cut below some of the players mentioned above -- and rightfully so.

Hope this kid stays healthy and leads the team to postseason success -- he deserves both.

Come on, eye test, he is better than the last 3 you mentioned. Nassib was a disaster before his senior year.

I am 1,000% sure McNabb/Don Mac would have absolutely turned that record upside down. Did you watch those guys? I ask sincerely. I'd say 900% Graves and Philcox get to 6 wins. Norley/Mason, toss up but i'd take my chances.

I'm blaming Dungey for the injuries b/c he's jumping over guys and running like a fullback. I saw this with Rob Konrad too who was supremely talented but never played a full season (and he was a fullback, not a qb).

A great QB can win games single handidly in college football. If we're gonna use your metrics we should discount every single great qb who had played in a tough conference with a system, great RB, etc.

At some point we need to see wins from the qb to annoint "great". That's me anyway.

Of course I watched them play. I was a student McNabb’s SR year. I became a SU fan when Don Mac played. They are all-timers. But they had more talent, more stability at HC and within a system.

Did you not see Dungey vs Clemson or VaTech? C’mon. He won us that game!

Great list I would separate it into tiers.

Tier 1
McNabb
MacPherson
Graves

Tier 2
Ryan Nassib
Bill Hurley
Todd Philcox
Eric Dungey

Dungey isn't where Nassib is yet, but you could argue he's done more than Hurley or Philcox. Specifically Philcox, who did well in one year, but it was only one year.

Man, it gets sort of ugly after that. There aren't many other quarterbacks in Syracuse history who have done much. Mostly running teams, and passing as a side note.

Come on, eye test, he is better than the last 3 you mentioned. Nassib was a disaster before his senior year.

If Nassib was a disaster then what is Dungey?

Both three year starters. Nassib didn't miss a start. 21-17, 67 TD's vs 27 Ints. 8768 yds in 3 years

Dungey 11-15, 40 TD vs 21 Ints.

Dungey had a 122 rating last year, lower than any season Nassib had. 6472 yds in 3 years.

Just to match Nassib's stats for three years, Dungey in his 4th needs to go 10-2, 27 and 6 and throw for 2300yds.

Dungey is an excellent athlete, leader, and competitor, he has plenty of room to grow as a passer.

Sounds exactly like what people said about McNabb heading into 1998, and Nassib in 2012.

Different scale (for McNabb especially), but similar situation. And both took that extra step. Let's hope Dungey does too.

Both three year starters. Nassib didn't miss a start. 21-17, 67 TD's vs 27 Ints. 8768 yds in 3 years

Dungey had a 122 rating last year, lower than any season Nassib had. 6472 yds in 3 years.

Just to match Nassib's stats for three years, Dungey in his 4th needs to go 10-2, 27 and 6 and throw for 2300yds.

Dungey’s running stats should be accounted for though.

Calling Nassib a “disaster” was way off. 19 TDS and 8 INT’s and 22 TD’s and 9 INT’s his soph and junior years. He was solid. Then had the great senior year.

I think Dungey has had to carry the offense more. He hasn’t had the running game or OL that Nassib did, and with his running...too often he’s basically been the whole offense.

If (and it's a BIG if) Eric Dungey plays a full season, he'll leave Syracuse with nearly every passing record in his possession. He won't catch McNabb in passing TD's, but otherwise he has a chance to take over all major statistical categories.

Nassib has a career passer rating of 132.5. Dungey currently is 131.5. So lets not go crazy with how much better Nassib's passing rating is. If Dungey has a 133 passer rating this year (which would be third best in his four year career) he'll have a higher passer rating over his career than Nassib.

Nassib also had more attempts in his career than any SU quarterback. If Dungey is healthy he'll end up being ahead there, along with completions, and Y/A. Dungey also has the second best completion percentage in SU history currently, behind only Greg Paulus.

Truth is, Dungey's total history is yet to be written. If he has a senior season that is in line with Nassib's he will break every Syracuse record for passing there is.

I agree that Nassib was no disaster...

I never understand why we include w-l record in these comparisons. So. Many. Variables.

Also, Nassib had 4 years with the same HC, OC - and a bunch with an NFL 1st round lineman. His 1st year as a starter he played against an historically weak schedule (basically a weak G5 schedule that included two FCS teams). He gets points for staying on the field, for sure. But that ED is even close with missing a ton of games and not playing two bowl games?

Also... did you include rushing TDs?

If you bring up the injuries you have to bring up the fact that hes been by FAR the best RB on the team the entire time hes been here. Its not even close really. Designed runs are a big part of our offense since we haven't had another guy we can rely on last 3 years.

Wonder if there is any way we can tell Strickland hes playing Clemson every week...

How do you decide 1000% vs 900%? Is there a 1,100%?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom