Justin Taylor transferring to JMU | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Justin Taylor transferring to JMU

Wherever he goes, that shot has to get fixed. Gerry has been working on it for 2 years already, and it was worse this year.

Im not sure Justin has enough eligibility left.
Pretty harsh, he shot over 39% his first year here and despite only shooting 30% this year, his overall 3 point career shooting is 34% much better than either Judah(.291) or JJ (.314). DNic’s first 2 years, he was under 25% from 3 while his last 2 years he shot over 39% from 3.

I can understand the impatience in this new world and why he’s moving on, but there’s no way to say he definitely won’t improve. History has proven that and I bet you’re hoping that both JJ and Judah improve their 3 point shooting their next 2 years despite having a longer way to go if they stay here but yet assume that JT won’t?

Pretty harsh, he shot over 39% his first year here and despite only shooting 30% this year, his overall 3 point career shooting is 34% much better than either Judah(.291) or JJ (.314). DNic’s first 2 years, he was under 25% from 3 while his last 2 years he shot over 39% from 3.

I can understand the impatience in this new world and why he’s moving on, but there’s no way to say he definitely won’t improve. History has proven that and I bet you’re hoping that both JJ and Judah improve their 3 point shooting their next 2 years despite having a longer way to go if they stay here but yet assume that JT won’t?
i would venture a guess is that the truth lies somewhere between your post and the one you’re replying to. Taylors sample size through two seasons isn’t nothing but it’s a bit small. A real 3-pt shooter in today’s game is going to put up somewhere between 150 and maybe 250-300 threes. He’s shot about 160 for his career.

So I’m not sure that really tells us he is or isn’t a shooter. But I would agree that getting somewhere he can build some confidence and let it fly a bit more freely would be important. There’s a part of me that’s a bit skeptical with Taylor but I’m rooting for the kid. Hope he finds a good home wherever and has a good last couple seasons.

I would be very surprised if Taylor ends up at Siena personally. I think he ends up at a much bigger program than that.
Siena should be the powerhouse of the MAAC. A lot of advantages over those other schools in terms of arena, location, interest (when they are decent) and the school itself is doing very well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them land players like Taylor.

Siena should be the powerhouse of the MAAC. A lot of advantages over those other schools in terms of arena, location, interest (when they are decent) and the school itself is doing very well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them land players like Taylor.
GMac should do well getting City Rock players that are D1, but below major level.

Judah was never a shooter. JJ had surgery.

The issue with JT is he’s regressing without a reason.

You can’t look at an aggregate % and discern anything from it when it’s swinging wildly like that.

I’m sure if he has potential, GMAC will try to get him.

there was a point this year JT wasn’t even wanting the ball. That’s a massive issue and impacts his shot on top of the mechanics.

Agreed. Look at Brycen Goodine. He had to go down a level to Fairfield but he had a fantastic season and a stellar 3 point shooting percentage this season.

Judah was never a shooter. JJ had surgery.

The issue with JT is he’s regressing without a reason.

You can’t look at an aggregate % and discern anything from it when it’s swinging wildly like that.

I’m sure if he has potential, GMAC will try to get him.

there was a point this year JT wasn’t even wanting the ball. That’s a massive issue and impacts his shot on top of the mechanics.
JB's comment on Syracuse radio today was something like: "we didn't realize it would take as long for him to get his shot off".

The thing that sucks is it was clear even from just watching a single game from Taylor in high school that you were going to have to work on his shot mechanics for him to be successful in college. Whether it’s Taylor or the coaching, that just didn’t improve here.

The idea that the staff was surprised that he needed work in that regard is pretty scary. Hopefully it was just Jim not knowing rather than the whole staff lol.

he's 20 . get on a team where you can start and hone your game time skills . this year was disappointing no spinning it otherwise. get your game together next year and then maybe transfer to a higher level following.

JB's comment on Syracuse radio today was something like: "we didn't realize it would take as long for him to get his shot off".
When I read those comments by JB I can't help but think back to his assessment that the recruiting class from two years ago was the best he's ever had. No question that one of JB's greatest strengths was his ability to evaluate talent and see upside potential. Lost something off his fastball in his later years.

When I read those comments by JB I can't help but think back to his assessment that the recruiting class from two years ago was the best he's ever had. No question that one of JB's greatest strengths was his ability to evaluate talent and see upside potential. Lost something off his fastball in his later years.
He know full well it was nowhere near his best class. For all his positive qualities, he was notoriously thin skinned and short. In typical JB fashion he was being defensive - he knew the storyline about his recruiting in recent years as well as the obvious drop off in on-court performance. His absurd proclamation was his Pavlovian response to this.

I think its more so JB didn’t really watch these kids in HS/AAU and then when they got to campus he really saw how good/bad they were

I think its more so JB didn’t really watch these kids in HS/AAU and then when they got to campus he really saw how good/bad they were
Talk about mailing it in...

Talk about mailing it in...
I was thinking about this the other day… the pic of JB sleeping while recruiting was taken 10 years before he retired lol

Attachments

• IMG_6706.jpeg
    IMG_6706.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 59
He know full well it was nowhere near his best class. For all his positive qualities, he was notoriously thin skinned and short. In typical JB fashion he was being defensive - he knew the storyline about his recruiting in recent years as well as the obvious drop off in on-court performance. His absurd proclamation was his Pavlovian response to this.
Jims skin is translucent.

He was also shooting just a shade under 35% this year until McLeod went down and, combined with Benny's issues, the trickle down necessitated the move of Justin to PF where he was physically overmatched and beat up virtually every game by bigger, stronger opponents. The effort he put in on defense and rebounding might have been at the detriment of his shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom