JW " I think we are close" Me too. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JW " I think we are close" Me too.

I think we are a bit further away than that. The ACC is getting better, especially with the addition of SMU.
Most importantly, we will need a few years of better classes than our peers. We are well behind at least half the league so we need time to make up lost ground.
Getting ranked next year is a doable first step thar is attainable. I would be happy with that.
I definitely think that’s in the cards. Heck, we were ranked in the CFP ranking in the month of November last year. Albeit early November lol.

I have no insight into whether our S&C was good or not. Coach Fran has seen what an elite S&C program looks like at UGA. I hope he can take ours to another level. Watching the SEC championship, those players look like monsters.
SU's strength & conditioning was abysmal. Team was not lifting in any manner that would aid their ability to compete.. Why do you think coach Brown said you will be lifting at his presser?. The players need it and want it.

I hope we find someone so he can stay at TE. I think it's best for both parties. His NFL future is probably TE. Playing QB here hinders that. I don't have confidence in the other two. CDRW has physical tools but lacks the rest. If Davis was a QB, he would have played there at the end of the year, especially with how desperate we were.

If we don't find someone, we may be looking at a poor man's '90's Nebraska offense next year.
Do you guys really think Fran won’t be able to bring another solid QB in? That seems pretty unlikely to me. I have faith he’ll find at least a fairly good one. Especially with the WR adds we seem likely to be getting soon. Need to grab another solid OL or two. Pretty darn sure it’ll happen.

Finding a QB will not be easy. They are going to want to understand who they will be playing for QB coach and OC. They will want to know the scheme so they can understand if they fit and of course the players around them. Not saying it can't or won't happen because of Coach Brown but QBs are in high demand, and it is going to be tough.

Agree but I don’t think flipping a handful of 4 star 18 year olds is what wins us games next year.

Frans gonna need to wear a lot of coats to get the immediate results we all want.

This is still better than year 9 of Dino regardless and I like Dino.

We’re also in the age of wide open free agency I’m thrilled with the hire but it seems like every older player is going to the draft or the portal.
Why we need patience. We here have it but will the bandwagon?

I fully expect the Dome sells out. I'm going to love reading the gripes from Johnnie Come Lately types who can't get free or $10 tix anymore.

Reality is with next year's schedule we should be bowl eligible...but we might only get to 6 or 7 wins because 18 and 19 year old 4 star kids aren't 23. Fran Hopefully gets us a few portal guys to age up the team

Finding a QB will not be easy. They are going to want to understand who they will be playing for QB coach and OC. They will want to know the scheme so they can understand if they fit and of course the players around them. Not saying it can't or won't happen because of Coach Brown but QBs are in high demand, and it is going to be tough.

Agree.

Might need either a QB that can manage a game and make the open throws or use his feet to help the running game. Obviously one that can do both would be fantastic.

Do you guys really think Fran won’t be able to bring another solid QB in? That seems pretty unlikely to me. I have faith he’ll find at least a fairly good one. Especially with the WR adds we seem likely to be getting soon. Need to grab another solid OL or two. Pretty darn sure it’ll happen.
I wasn't even addressing that. I was mostly commenting on the idea of Villari at QB.

I wasn't even addressing that. I was mostly commenting on the idea of Villari at QB.
Yeah I agree about Villari's true position being at TE. Who knows, he may be a better passer than we think with some work as the #1 QB but wouldn't be anything more than adequate in that regard. I don't see any way he's our #1 QB next year. Wouldn't hate seeing a package with him doing similar to what he ran with us this year though. Keeps teams on their toes with a lot of things to prepare for and makes our offense more multiple.

Yeah I agree about Villari's true position being at TE. Who knows, he may be a better passer than we think with some work as the #1 QB but wouldn't be anything more than adequate in that regard. I don't see any way he's our #1 QB next year. Wouldn't hate seeing a package with him doing similar to what he ran with us this year though. Keeps teams on their toes with a lot of things to prepare for and makes our offense more multiple.
Yeah. I hope we have a creative OC that will utilize him with some occasional trick plays. Teams have to honor him as a runner and reciever. That's ripe for drawing the defense up and hitting on a double pass play.

I certainly hope Dan is back at TE . My point is that unless we land a starter Dan would be my choice out of Dan Davis or Carlos.
He seems to really like Dan based on his social posts. He also has a GF at Syracuse (not that it stops things but I'd be surprised if he transfers with Fran here and Nunzio staying).

He seems to really like Dan based on his social posts. He also has a GF at Syracuse (not that it stops things but I'd be surprised if he transfers with Fran here and Nunzio staying).
Seems like a perfect match in values between them with Villari's no nonsense hard work and religiousness.

We are close, we're a 6-6 team so there is no reason to blow it up. Keep everyone here and add more pieces. Re QB, I would bring in two HS kids and go find a plug and play portal kid.

everytime i see this thread topic... i think of #metoo

and "we are close"

and then i get nervous.

Angry Real Housewives GIF by PeacockTV

The roster needs more playmakers and much better line play on both sides of the ball to be competitive with the upper half of the ACC. We have a few playmakers if OG returns, along with Villari and Allen. We managed 2 league wins in a weak ACC with what we had - there were a lot of reasons for that obviously, but talent on the roster was #1 IMO.

When people start posting about a 9 win season for '24, and in the same paragraph talk about playing a TE at QB, I wonder how "close" we really are. Fran Brown, the portal, and late high end additions from the 24 class could change all that in heartbeat. Until that happens...

The roster needs more playmakers and much better line play on both sides of the ball to be competitive with the upper half of the ACC. We have a few playmakers if OG returns, along with Villari and Allen. We managed 2 league wins in a weak ACC with what we had - there were a lot of reasons for that obviously, but talent on the roster was #1 IMO.

When people start posting about a 9 win season for '24, and in the same paragraph talk about playing a TE at QB, I wonder how "close" we really are. Fran Brown, the portal, and late high end additions from the 24 class could change all that in heartbeat. Until that happens...
That's just it. We may just be a QB away from those extra three wins. The thing is, that's the hardest position to get right.

SU's strength & conditioning was abysmal. Team was not lifting in any manner that would aid their ability to compete.. Why do you think coach Brown said you will be lifting at his presser?. The players need it and want it.
They were. A LOT. They were also doing plyo's, and making every guy on the team more flexible. This could be seen in improved 40's, vert, 5-10-5's etc... This also makes them less susceptible to injury.

Its easy to blame S + C. It's football. Guys are going to get hurt. Its also how you practice. Any lack of focus, discipline, or fundamentals, and its easier for guys to get hurt. I know of guys hurt, because of it. I'd LOVE to run Oklahoma every practice. I'd also be a fool to not think that some guys might get banged up, if they did.

S + C was good. Of course, most folks think QB2, or QB3 will take them to the promised land...

I have no insight into whether our S&C was good or not. Coach Fran has seen what an elite S&C program looks like at UGA. I hope he can take ours to another level. Watching the SEC championship, those players look like monsters.

I'm sure our Strength and Conditioning program can be improved on. But the top programs are dealing with a different level athlete than the ones who have been on campus at Syracuse.

Look at the roster for the Under Armour High School All-American game. These young men are already MEN when they step on campus which is why they look like monsters when you see them on TV.

The top programs in the country have dozens of players like this on their rosters while SU might get one or two a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom