Kaleb Joseph to transfer to Creighton | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph to transfer to Creighton

Wow 3 transfers in the last 2 years, one player couldn't come due to transcript. Thank good Mali, Lydon, and Frank look great.

But this one is a lot different -- the story would have been if he didn't transfer (I would have been shocked). In the last 25 games of the season, there were only 5 games that Joseph played 1 minute or more (and the high was 6 min, just one time). A grand total of 18 minutes in those 25 games. If that's not the "writing on the wall", I don't know what is. (and he couldn't even get a sniff of the floor in the 25 point blowout against Middle Tennessee State).

Last edited:
Guys there's a reason for that. Joseph wasn't good enough. JB didn't want G to play point guard. He just realized that if the team wanted to succeed and win, he can't play Joseph. If that means putting G at the point, he had to do it. JB wanted his best players to be on the floor and if that meant G had to move over to point, he was willing to make that adjustment and change

That's how I saw it too. G was an emergency move to PG. Boeheim either saw enough or predicted that the kid just doesn't have it in order to make that move to G. It's sort of unbelievable really and a tribute to the team and G for trying to make the best of a dire straits type situation at PG, frankly. G saved us in so many ways.

I don't think there is any other way to describe Kaleb. He's a miss. Plain and simple, imo. The proof is in the freaking pudding. Sure, a nice kid and terrific cheerleader. I wish him the best. I was scolded for being one of the few who just didn't see anything positive from him except for a few moments here and there such as BC/Nova. Obviously that was an aberration. More often than not he didn't belong and kept embarrassing himself and hurting the team everywhere on the floor. Maybe he did need to be coddled and groomed for two years or so as an Ennis understudy. However, that seems a bit unusual for a Top 50 recruit in this day in age. Lastly, he wasn't thrown to the wolves either. He knew he was starting when Ennis declared shortly after the Dayton game. Every kid's dream but he wasn't ready then and wasn't ready now. It's just perplexing more than anything and, again, G really deserves so much credit.

Last edited:
If you watched the bench, locker room, player reactions: Kaleb was engaged and the most excited for his teammates throughout the season and this FF run. I think he has talent, but more importantly he has character and class. I am sure he will find success at another program and in life. Best of luck!

I know, kid was always so engaged, he even seemed to be leading a lot of the pre/post-game chants. Wish he would have stayed, I think he could have been an okay 2G by the time he left, but wish him the best all the same. Kid was never gonna be a PG though!

I usually like snark, but considering Ollie won the NC in no later than his third season as HC, this is really an inapt example of it.
sorry to offend you. Take message boards seriously, do you?

It can be debated whether Mal or Lydon is the best returning player. As for what happens in a tournament which is a full year away, who can say what will happen? Did anyone think SU would make the Final Four as a 10 seed, only the fifth double digit seed to ever do that IIRC? Did anyone think MTSU would upset Michigan St., not the first 15 seed to upset a 2 but probably the biggest surprise to date? Only the most cockeyed optimist of each team's fan base would have. Any savvy student athlete planning to transfer would know this, and dismiss your argument.

Wait a minute.

You aren't suggesting that a reasonable person might not be able to tell which schools are "likely to be in the running" from these that "are not likely to be in the running" in an upcoming year. And that all teams have an equal chance, are you?

Of course there are upsets. But the teams in the Sweet 16 were mostly the usual suspects.

If I am a player who can transfer at Williams or at Brown --- similar to actual players we have seen this year --- and I want to go to the NCAAs and go deep into them, I am not selecting Rutgers or George Mason or any other team that has almost zero chance of going.

Without Malachi, SU is not a likely Sweet 16 candidate in 2017 regardless of your "no one can tell the future" outlook. Get real.

That's how I saw it too. G was an emergency move to PG. Boeheim either saw enough or predicted that the kid just doesn't have it in order to make that move to G. It's sort of unbelievable really and a tribute to the team and G for trying to make the best of a dire straits type situation at PG, frankly. G saved us in so many ways.

I don't think there is any other way to describe Kaleb. He's a miss. Plain and simple, imo. The proof is in the freaking pudding. Sure, a nice kid and terrific cheerleader. I wish him the best. I was scolded for being one of the few who just didn't see anything positive from him except for a few moments here and there such as BC/Nova. Obviously that was an aberration. More often than not he didn't belong and kept embarrassing himself and hurting the team everywhere on the floor. Maybe he did need to be coddled and groomed for two years or so as an Ennis understudy. However, that seems a bit unusual for a Top 50 recruit in this day in age. Lastly, he wasn't thrown to the wolves either. He knew he was starting when Ennis declared shortly after the Dayton game. Every kid's dream but he wasn't ready then and wasn't ready now. It's just perplexing more than anything and, again, G really deserves so much credit.

Exactly, he was a miss, plain and simple. We can't say why that was true--by all the reports it certainly had nothing to do with his work ethic. Maybe he was never that good, and the recruiting services and coaching staff rated him too high. It's probably not his fault. What do you want him to do, decide he's not good enough for Syracuse even though he was hand-picked to come play for us? Or maybe he just lost all his confidence after struggling early in his freshman season. It doesn't really matter--he didn't play well enough to stay--and not just in games, either. I'm sure if he was absolutely tearing it up in practice that he'd have gotten more chances.

That said, I wouldn't bet against the kid succeeding at his next stop. A extra year to practice will do any kid a lot of good (think about how we would evaluate G's career if 2014-2015 was his last year). He's clearly a top level athlete (have we had a better dunking pg? Maybe MCW? G doesn't count), just has to get his head/court awareness/handle up to speed. By all accounts he was a gym rat, which will help him a lot. He might tear it up in 2-3 years with BC or UMASS or Vermont.

Funny it came so fast...wonder what this means in terms of Diallo coming here or some other targets.

If Malachi leaves, the quality of the transfer we bring in needs to be high quality.

A high quality combo who can shoot.

No room for error.

If Mali leaves, my target would be Reinhardt from USC.
For Kaleb, it's the Columbia kid.
And then if we could add Thompson, that would be great.

Wait a minute.

You aren't suggesting that a reasonable person might not be able to tell which schools are "likely to be in the running" from these that "are not likely to be in the running" in an upcoming year. And that all teams have an equal chance, are you?

Of course there are upsets. But the teams in the Sweet 16 were mostly the usual suspects.

If I am a player who can transfer at Williams or at Brown --- similar to actual players we have seen this year --- and I want to go to the NCAAs and go deep into them, I am not selecting Rutgers or George Mason or any other team that has almost zero chance of going.

Without Malachi, SU is not a likely Sweet 16 candidate in 2017 regardless of your "no one can tell the future" outlook. Get real.
'Cuse is not Rutgers or George Mason, silly analogy. The response was saying that two good teams (that can go deep); would the transfer go to a team with a hole in lineup to hopefully contribute greatly, or simply gravytrain on a F4 favorite.

We have a 7'2" center coming in next year (in addition to our 6th year Center), Lydon more physically mature (who is a near lock to be a pro for a decade + eventually- a player next year's offense can run through), Richardson (I think he'll be back in the end a college mismatch as he develops further), Battle (who seems to compare very favorably to be a Richardson type replacement), 4th year player Roberson (who dominated the boards in nearly every "big" game and is ding a midrange game), along with Moyer for forward depth, and Frank Howard for guard rotation. That is a team that can hit the elite 8/+ easy. Even if Richardson goes pro, Battle can take Richardson's minutes, and they still have players to "run" the offense through and plenty of length to play the zone.
Do you think this transfer Guard would PREFER to go to a team 3 guards deep and ride the pine and root for his final 4 brothers? Or be the 2nd/3rd guard contributing to that final 4 pursuit?

Wait a minute.

'Cuse is not Rutgers or George Mason, silly analogy. The response was saying that two good teams (that can go deep); would the transfer go to a team with a hole in lineup to hopefully contribute greatly, or simply gravytrain on a F4 favorite.

We have a 7'2" center coming in next year (in addition to our 6th year Center), Lydon more physically mature (who is a near lock to be a pro for a decade + eventually- a player next year's offense can run through), Richardson (I think he'll be back in the end a college mismatch as he develops further), Battle (who seems to compare very favorably to be a Richardson type replacement), 4th year player Roberson (who dominated the boards in nearly every "big" game and is developing a midrange game), along with Moyer for forward depth, and Frank Howard for guard rotation. That is a team that can hit the elite 8/+ easy. Even if Richardson goes pro, Battle can take Richardson's minutes, and they still have players to "run" the offense through and plenty of length to play the zone.
Do you think this transfer Guard would PREFER to go to a team 3 guards deep and ride the pine and root for his final 4 brothers? Or be the 2nd/3rd guard contributing to that final 4 pursuit?

sorry to offend you. Take message boards seriously, do you?
Just tired of the "UConn is trash cause they're not a P-5 team" mentality. They have a title as a non P-5 school unless I have the year they entered the AAC wrong. Also Nova is no longer a P-5 school either, unless the new Big East has the same status as the old. Yet they hoisted the trophy last night.

Wait a minute.

So you are apparently equating Syracuse with George Mason and RUTGERS, but I'm the one who needs to "get real". Okkkkaaaayyyyy.....

So you are apparently equating Syracuse with George Mason and RUTGERS, but I'm the one who needs to "get real". Okkkkaaaayyyyy...

It wouldn't be me doing the comparing. It would be the potential transfer students.

But I don't blame you for wanting to shift the conversation away from your position that almost all schools have an equal chance at going deep in the Tournament so it doesn't matter which school they pick.

Would you like to withdrawal that?

We have a 7'2" center coming in next year (in addition to our 6th year Center), Lydon more physically mature (who is a near lock to be a pro for a decade + eventually- a player next year's offense can run through), Richardson (I think he'll be back in the end a college mismatch as he develops further), Battle (who seems to compare very favorably to be a Richardson type replacement), 4th year player Roberson (who dominated the boards in nearly every "big" game and is developing a midrange game), along with Moyer for forward depth, and Frank Howard for guard rotation. That is a team that can hit the elite 8/+ easy. Even if Richardson goes pro, Battle can take Richardson's minutes, and they still have players to "run" the offense through and plenty of length to play the zone.

I admire your optimism. You sound a little like an SU version of RutgersAl

I, myself, based on a lot of years of watching would prefer to see these kids actually play before I start feeling one way or the other. This is, after all a team that lost 14 games with G and Cooney, 2 seniors.

I'll reiterate my points. First the 2/3 potential transfer student that can shoot is a rare commodity. Secondly, an SU team without Malachi is a less attractive place for a transfer who wanted to play for a Tourney contender than an SU with Malachi. We won't be as good without him as we would be with him.

It wouldn't be me doing the comparing. It would be the potential transfer students.

But I don't blame you for wanting to shift the conversation away from your position that almost all schools have an equal chance at going deep in the Tournament so it doesn't matter which school they pick.

Would you like to withdrawal that?
Uh, no I wouldn't. Because I didn't choose those two teams as examples. You did. Furthermore, another poster called the George Mason and Rutgers citations silly. So I'm not the only one who thinks you made a ludicrous analogy. And any basketball player with an ounce of common sense, looking to transfer, wouldn't equate us with those teams either.

I admire your optimism. You sound a little like an SU version of RutgersAl

I, myself, based on a lot of years of watching would prefer to see these kids actually play before I start feeling one way or the other. This is, after all a team that lost 14 games with G and Cooney, 2 seniors.

I'll reiterate my points. First the 2/3 potential transfer student that can shoot is a rare commodity. Secondly, an SU team without Malachi is a less attractive place for a transfer who wanted to play for a Tourney contender than an SU with Malachi. We won't be as good without him as we would be with him.
You're calling this poster our version of Rutgers Al based on that post???? Ok. I'm sure you couldn't care less, but as far as I'm concerned, igor is no longer the worst poster on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom