Class of 2019 - Ken Evans Jr. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Ken Evans Jr.

This is something I think a lot of people fail to realize in this world right now.
So for the sake of argument…if you set a precedent by overpaying for someone like Leffew now, you’ll be expected to overpay for similar players going forward. If you’re going to overpay, it should be for a home run type of player. Many of the people complaining about Leffew didn’t think he was a difference maker to begin with.

So for the sake of argument…if you set a precedent by overpaying for someone like Leffew now, you’ll be expected to overpay for similar players going forward. If you’re going to overpay, it should be for a home run type of player. Many of the people complaining about Leffew didn’t think he was a difference maker to begin with.
I didn’t post that to argue against anyone’s points or narratives, nor to support immune or anyone’s.

Players, for the most part, go closer to home when they enter the portal. Everyone of our portals last year came back to the east (JJ, Chance, McLeod and Cuffe.) Picking up someone like Evans doesn’t fit the bill. Of course there are exceptions, but usually it seems to happen. Lampkin is an exception, but Davis and Carlos are both east coast kids.
This is why I was skeptical of us landing Evans when I first heard about him. I figured he would stay in the south unless we were giving him the biggest bag. That said, I really like this kid and think he would really help us next season.

On the other hand there will be quite a few players stuck at mid and low majors that would otherwise be on HM that can move up next year.
Then on our third hand on our third arm between our legs it also means a lot of portal players next year won’t be nearly as good as they’re compared to be, or in other terms portal inflation for a lesser product than previous there.

Then on our third hand on our third arm between our legs it also means a lot of portal players next year won’t be nearly as good as they’re compared to be, or in other terms portal inflation for a lesser product than previous there.
Agree there. I think we need a bigger freshmen class.

That’s what I was getting at with my reply.

I think it boils down to this with Bell:
  • He's a tall, quick-release tier-1 pure shooter (...and those don't grow on trees)
  • He's long and athletic
His issues are largely mental with a serial lack of focus and limitations on playing smart D (not biting on every fake and hacking.)

If he gets his mental and focus issues worked out (a big IF), he's NBA material. Get him a sports psychologist, meditation and visualization techniques, talk to Fran Brown, talk to Ferris Bueller... whatever it takes, LOL!

I also think his engagement on offense should be a lot better this coming year without ISO ball-hog Mintz running the show to get himself his at the expense of everyone else... I.E. Hopefully Bell is a big piece of a MUCH MORE balanced offense.
Southerland wasn’t close to making the NBA. How could Bell?

Well who better to go to for such information than Dasher? I have a hunch his sources are better than the ones I don't have, so why not ask?
You're question was phrased with quite a bit of bias. It's similar to asking a politician at a press conference "Sir, did you ever stop beating your wife?"

This is why I was skeptical of us landing Evans when I first heard about him. I figured he would stay in the south unless we were giving him the biggest bag. That said, I really like this kid and think he would really help us next season.
Evans stayed in his hometown for most of college, he might be ready for something different.

Well who better to go to for such information than Dasher? I have a hunch his sources are better than the ones I don't have, so why not ask?
I don't know of anyone better. I read your comment to refer to "apologists" as those who don't offer every critical take possible at every turn. Dasher adds not only intel on players but also at times intel on efforts by the staff, his view of and thoughts on plan, etc. He's not an apologist by any definition but if you think board is full of them he'd be included. That's why I found it curious.

To be clear, I think anyone with a pulse knows the program is down and it seems at best cuse is slightly above average with NIL. So they are not buying their way back to prominence like some schools may be able to do. Yet the "non apologists" bitch and whine at every turn as if there's an easy solution if only AA knew what he was doing. And if cuse gets outbid and/or a kid decides to go elsewhere the world has spun off its axis and red has no clue. It's too stupid to comment on again so I won't but just go heavy on the ingore feature (not you I'm not sure I've seen any such comments from you until this silly one)

It's only overpaying if you value the target at less money.

Otherwise, it's market rate/cost of doing business.

If our bag is light, it doesn't mean someone else is overpaying. They may value the player more in their system and/or have more money to spend.

Don’t think this is going to be a match. Don’t think it’s a bad thing either.
Meme Think GIF

You're question was phrased with quite a bit of bias. It's similar to asking a politician at a press conference "Sir, did you ever stop beating your wife?"
If by biased, you mean that I favor objectively analytical opinions of the Cuse program and its incoming transfers as opposed to those viewpoints that generally praise whatever steps the program takes, then I suppose I am. As for your comparison of my viewpoint/bias with the "stop beating your wife" cliche, I apologize for failing to see how they are similar...

It's only overpaying if you value the target at less money.

Otherwise, it's market rate/cost of doing business.

If our bag is light, it doesn't mean someone else is overpaying. They may value the player more in their system and/or have more money to spend.
I’ve always found this to be a flawed line of thinking when it comes to economics. It’s basically saying no one overpays ever. Do you really believe that? It’s just a rationalization for when capitalism gets out of hand. Which is exactly what’s happening with NIL.

I’ve always found this to be a flawed line of thinking when it comes to economics. It’s basically saying no one overpays ever. Do you really believe that? It’s just a rationalization for when capitalism gets out of hand. Which is exactly what’s happening with NIL.

Of course you can overpay on things... especially commodities.

That said, a player is not a mass-market commodity like a gallon of gasoline or a loaf of wonder bread, where you can shop different locations and find the best price on the same exact product...

Basketball example:

Let's say a team needs a shooting guard as a backup and another team needs a starting shooting guard and both teams are looking at Player X for that role...

Doesn't it seem logical that the team looking for a starting SG might value player X more (and pay more for him) than the team looking for a backup/limited minutes SG?

Does that mean they overpaid?

My feeling about "overpaying" is that it has four components:
1) Did you pay more than you had to—bidding against yourself/a shock-and-awe offer—when you could have gotten it for less.
2) How desperate are you to secure the deal.
3) In retrospect—the performance you already paid for—was it worth it.
4) Did you set a new unsustainable or impractical standard.

People do overpay. But, you can't really assess it until after the results are in.

Last edited:
Okay, I think I said, I don't think we are a real player for Evens. I believe that is our choice. I don't think the coaches are all that impressed with him. Now, I really want two more players. I fear the coaches are happy with what we have. If something pops up that they like, they will make a play. I think we need a bit more. Although right now, I think considering everything, we are better than where we were at the end of last year. But that isn't good enough in my opinion. I do think we will add and if that seems like double talk, I am sorry. I think both statements are true. They are happy with what they have and they would like to add if they feel the fit is just right. Also, a player that left, might come back. Not Copeland.

Okay, I think I said, I don't think we are a real player for Evens. I believe that is our choice. I don't think the coaches are all that impressed with him. Now, I really want two more players. I fear the coaches are happy with what we have. If something pops up that they like, they will make a play. I think we need a bit more. Although right now, I think considering everything, we are better than where we were at the end of last year. But that isn't good enough in my opinion. I do think we will add and if that seems like double talk, I am sorry. I think both statements are true. They are happy with what they have and they would like to add if they feel the fit is just right. Also, a player that left, might come back. Not Copeland.
Hmmm only possibility is Hima or Patterson right? Everyone else has landed somewhere.

My guess for the player that might come back is Patterson. I hope I am right. Like the little I saw from him while he was here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom