Kent Syverud tells ESPN: ‘The current system of college sports can’t continue’ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kent Syverud tells ESPN: ‘The current system of college sports can’t continue’

The old way broke when the schools started chasing as much money as they did. Eventually it was going to come full circle.

Kent’s not wrong, but there are a lot of Presidents and ADs who need to hold themselves accountable for how we got here.

Once they do that, maybe it can all be fixed.
Posted in the thread on the hoop board. Schools were too greedy and arrogant to pay attention to the train barreling towards them. College sports was heading this way NIL or not

There was a corporate executive many years ago who was famous for mass layoffs when he took over a company. That earned him the nickname Chainsaw. It was a fantastic short term strategy - the company could book sales on existing inventory and inertia for a couple years, then the fact they had no labor force left generally destroyed the company. Didn’t matter to Chainsaw though - he always knew to move on to another company before the long term consequences of his strategy hit.

It always astonished me how long he was able to get away with this approach - but then I read comments like yours and realize many if not most people are incapable of seeing anything other than short term results. If you’re focused on the results over the last twelve months, you aren’t even really engaging in the relevant conversation.
I am incredibly grateful for the assistance in my life that helps me see reality, I would emphatically state this if I was a factory, state sponsored school as well. Off the chain and a complete free for all, This is just IMO

College sports is so much more than a product, It is tremendously beneficial on all levels for so many people. I know this. Lets say the underprivileged kid who gets an athletic scholarship to play soccer, he or she will never see the professional level, however, exposure to kids of other cultures, social economic backgrounds, ethnicities, experiences because they were able to play college athletics. It can literarily change everything win lose or draw. That would be the product I would truly hope for. I also love to win, however, the big picture is much bigger than me. Revenue producing sports have tremendous impact on ancillary activities. In addition to all of the amazing gifts you are given. Lots of complexities however I am very concerned we are to lose the true spirit of college athletics, even if there were significant flaws prior to NIL. What this is evolving into is disturbing. I applaud the Chancellor, there has to be a better way. I once thought individual legislation should start at the state level with significant ADVOCACY for Federal legislation. My belief that they could even get something done without stabbing each other in the back at the Federal and state level is unfortunately low. This is a concerning time, Grace, hope and reason are available and that is certainly much better and bigger than football.
Agreed. Has anyone looked at recent numbers of players entering the portal that end up nowhere. Honestly, I think that it's not just NIL that benefits a small subset of players. I think you could say the same about the portal. I think most jump in there and think they'll have a lot of opportunities because of their experience in high school recruiting. But someone who rides the bench for a year or two on a D1 team after high school in many cases is old news when they jump back into the market.

Here's an interesting article from 2022... my guess is that it's even worse now as the number of players entering the portal keeps increasing each year.

ken should focus on fixing the law school ratings and the university as a whole. i hope he embraces the investment model and begins to function as a ceo maybe su can move forward in other areas . he could have not picked a worse time speak on this topic. what is this guy thinking?????
You don't think he's capable of commenting on the state of college athletics while also focusing on other issues as well? Are you less capable at your job because you comment on Syracusefan?

There was a corporate executive many years ago who was famous for mass layoffs when he took over a company. That earned him the nickname Chainsaw. It was a fantastic short term strategy - the company could book sales on existing inventory and inertia for a couple years, then the fact they had no labor force left generally destroyed the company. Didn’t matter to Chainsaw though - he always knew to move on to another company before the long term consequences of his strategy hit.

It always astonished me how long he was able to get away with this approach - but then I read comments like yours and realize many if not most people are incapable of seeing anything other than short term results. If you’re focused on the results over the last twelve months, you aren’t even really engaging in the relevant conversation.

Look I love college sports and cuse as much as anyone, but the model isn’t broken, per say.

The entire goal of the system as constructed is to generate millions or dollars without compensating the players. Those with vested financial interest in extracting money from these players without materially compensating them have come up with some really elegant, often tax deductible, work arounds with NIL, stipends, giving circles etc,

If they were serious about fixing the issue they would have the players sign contracts and they would pay them. There are hundreds of u21 soccer academies around the world and in the US that do this very thing for high end prospects. I don’t think it will happen, but I literally could not thing of a worse idea than allowing private equity to start backfilling university football teams

And that right there is the issue. All we ask is for some examples and all we get is a smart aleck comment. It’s evident some should bow out of this debate.
That's an entirely different issue isn't it? I wasn't defending the job he's done at SU, but pointing out that making a brief comment on college athletics doesn't mean that is what he spends most of his efforts on. It wasn't meant as a smart aleck comment at all.

Last edited:
This thread isn't even 2 full pages long, but I read some of the comments and

1706454120429.gif

Anyone know if the surge in NIL donations corresponds to a downturn in academic donations? I can see how that might be a concern for a chancellor.
It shouldn't. Studies have found there is no correlation between athletic success and donations to the academic side. There are plenty of people who donate to academics but not athletics, and vice versa.

Look I love college sports and cuse as much as anyone, but the model isn’t broken, per say.

The entire goal of the system as constructed is to generate millions or dollars without compensating the players. Those with vested financial interest in extracting money from these players without materially compensating them have come up with some really elegant, often tax deductible, work arounds with NIL, stipends, giving circles etc,

If they were serious about fixing the issue they would have the players sign contracts and they would pay them. There are hundreds of u21 soccer academies around the world and in the US that do this very thing for high end prospects. I don’t think it will happen, but I literally could not thing of a worse idea than allowing private equity to start backfilling university football teams
I think schools paying the players is right around the corner.

I think schools paying the players is right around the corner.

I still believe the answer is sporting clubs for $ sports and amateur for non $ sports.

The non money sports the school cannot make money (TV, tickets, etc). Since it is amateur, the schools should push congress to make ban NIL for these sports. These athletes aren't going to get much money anyway so it isn't a big deal if they keep NIL completely. But it would be nice if these sports were kept pure.

So for SU...

Sporting Club (your Professional sports)
M/W BBall, FB, Men's Lax, Women's Soccer. Maybe add Hockey for M and/or W.

Amateur (mainly your Olympic sports)
M/W XC, M/W Rowing, M/W Track, Field Hockey, Women's Ice Hockey (if not SC), Women's Lax, Softball, Women's Volleyball. Maybe add Gymnastics and Swimming for both M&W. Maybe add M Volleyball.

Maybe Drop
Men's Soccer. I feel like with the youth system growing there will be less and less talent in college. And it is pretty weak as it is now. I don't think the sport can be Club level and there is no point in Amateur level.

Women's Tennis. Similar in that a quality player will be a pro.

You don't think he's capable of commenting on the state of college athletics while also focusing on other issues as well? Are you less capable at your job because you comment on Syracusefan?
why does he not comment on the state of the university, which IS his job. maybe you do not follow university progress as a whole. maybe you are not aware of the dismal problem reluctantly so, of rankings, lack of research facilities,
recognition and dollars.
you have your opinion and i have mine ho. i guess he has done wonders at syracuse. his timing of his commentary i feel, was poor . in light of new staff and recruiting for football.. we are all quite well aware that things right now are unchecked and out of control on a national level.

It's deeper than just 'greed' that people throw around. Sure, the top percentage of coaches in football and basketball are paid handsomely. But even though football is my main watch, I enjoy college athletics as a whole. I like the idea of having 18 sports representing the school.

If they move towards the employee model, many sports will undoubtedly be cut. I also don't see the toothpaste going back in the tube. If you pay the players directly (not NIL), they're still going to have the opportunity to transfer whenever. The NFL has multi-year contracts and a draft, college kids aren't signing up for that. What's happening now is they're getting the best of both worlds (compensation for play with free agency whenever they like), and it sounds like that's what people are pushing for even more of on the athlete side. The pro model isn't feasible collegiately.

There are ways to adapt, but it's more complicated than people give it credit for in my opinion.

But it would be nice if these sports were kept pure.

Maybe Drop
Men's Soccer.
First, college sports have never been pure. Indeed, the very first intercollegiate competitions involved ringers and somebody trying to make a buck, not that I am opposed to having “pure” sport but it was never reality.

And why do you want to drop men's soccer?

It's deeper than just 'greed' that people throw around. Sure, the top percentage of coaches in football and basketball are paid handsomely. But even though football is my main watch, I enjoy college athletics as a whole. I like the idea of having 18 sports representing the school.

If they move towards the employee model, many sports will undoubtedly be cut. I also don't see the toothpaste going back in the tube. If you pay the players directly (not NIL), they're still going to have the opportunity to transfer whenever. The NFL has multi-year contracts and a draft, college kids aren't signing up for that. What's happening now is they're getting the best of both worlds (compensation for play with free agency whenever they like), and it sounds like that's what people are pushing for even more of on the athlete side. The pro model isn't feasible collegiately.

There are ways to adapt, but it's more complicated than people give it credit for in my opinion.
They would absolutely have to sign contracts; they aren't gonna hire these kids as an at-will employee like you would a guy in IT

First, college sports have never been pure. Indeed, the very first intercollegiate competitions involved ringers and somebody trying to make a buck, not that I am opposed to having “pure” sport but it was never reality.

And why do you want to drop men's soccer?

I don't want to drop Soccer. Also, not an SU thing. Soccer as a Men's sport doesn't seem worth it long term for colleges to sponsor IMO. MLS going forward is likely to eat up the majority of the talent pool before the kids even graduate High School. IMO as it currently is, college soccer is hard to watch. There is a lack of quality. I think that will actually get worse as time goes on.

So if college sports were to move to a model of Sporting Clubs (for profit to the school with a professional sport pathway for the athletes, no academics) and Amateur Athletics (non profit, non professional more so your Olympic sports, academics involved), where does Men's Soccer fit in?

I would say it fits in the Amateur category. Schools aren't going to profit on Men's Soccer and the talent will be like FCS FB. IMO few college kids in the future will end up playing professionally. In which case, is it really worth sponsoring? Especially with Title IX considerations?

I think you can say similar about Olympic Soccer. Does the sport really belong there?

why does he not comment on the state of the university, which IS his job. maybe you do not follow university progress as a whole. maybe you are not aware of the dismal problem reluctantly so, of rankings, lack of research facilities,
recognition and dollars.
you have your opinion and i have mine ho. i guess he has done wonders at syracuse. his timing of his commentary i feel, was poor . in light of new staff and recruiting for football.. we are all quite well aware that things right now are unchecked and out of control on a national level.
As a long time alum, I follow all things SU and I'm aware of the myriad issues facing the school. He did an interview on ESPN and he responded to a question. I don't think his take is outlandish given developments in college athletics over the last few years. Like it or not, the chancellor has a say in athletic department issues.

The chancellor does speak to broader issues facing SU, as well as put out written communications from time to time.

It is a tumultuous time in higher education, with probably a much, if not more, uncertainty than at any other time in SUs existence and Kent has a very difficult task. I'm not defending (or criticizing) the job he's doing. My priorities are likely different from yours as far as what we'd like to see as Kent's main focal points. That's fine and disagreement is healthy. I merely took issue with the idea that by giving his opinion on the future of college athletics is taking away from his ability to govern the university.

They would absolutely have to sign contracts; they aren't gonna hire these kids as an at-will employee like you would a guy in IT
Good luck with getting a multi-year contract structure. As long as education is a component of college athletics (I have a hard time seeing a point where kids won't have to go to class), any attempt to not have kids be able to transfer like a regular college student does will get blocked by anti-trust lawsuits.

I don't want to drop Soccer. Also, not an SU thing. Soccer as a Men's sport doesn't seem worth it long term for colleges to sponsor IMO. MLS going forward is likely to eat up the majority of the talent pool before the kids even graduate High School. IMO as it currently is, college soccer is hard to watch. Compared to what? The Premier League? The World Cup? There is a lack of quality. I think that will actually get worse as time goes on. Some on this Board make the same argument about quality and men's basketball? Should SU drop men's basketball?

So if college sports were to move to a model of Sporting Clubs (for profit to the school with a professional sport pathway for the athletes, no academics This is not a "pathway" to pro sports; it is a pro sports team that is owned and operated by the school using a pro sports model.) and Amateur Athletics (non profit, non professional (By the school or the player after they leave the school? And can the school dictate that the player/alumnus not subsequently get paid to play the same sport? And what about NIL?) more so your Olympic sports (Isn't basketball and Olympic sport?), academics involved), where does Men's Soccer fit in?

I would say it fits in the Amateur category. Schools aren't going to profit on Men's Soccer and the talent will be like FCS FB. IMO few college kids in the future will end up playing professionally. (Few college kids end up playing professionally no matter what school or sport we talk about.) In which case, is it really worth sponsoring? Then why should SU or any school sponsor any sports? Especially with Title IX considerations?

I think you can say similar about Olympic Soccer. Does the sport really belong there? Does most of what is in the Olympics really belong in the Olympics? Basketball? Shouldn't the Olympics return to the good old days of just track & field and wrestling? Maybe we could include swimming, but only open ocean swimming.
Where to begin?

We have so much work to do. We should have a beer some day because we are not going to solve these problems for the world exchanging messages on this message board.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom