Killers of the Flower Moon | Syracusefan.com

Killers of the Flower Moon

Brooky03

Hubris is underrated
Not very good. Lacks energy and the payoff is less than satisfying, being generous. The same story could have been told in 2.5 hours instead of 3.5 hours.

It’s based on a true story and might be a faithful retelling of the events, but it should have perhaps been less faithful. I don’t see the Osage people being thrilled with their representation in the film, but I could be wrong.

Not very good. Lacks energy and the payoff is less than satisfying, being generous. The same story could have been told in 2.5 hours instead of 3.5 hours.

It’s based on a true story and might be a faithful retelling of the events, but it should have perhaps been less faithful. I don’t see the Osage people being thrilled with their representation in the film, but I could be wrong.
I’ve heard several accounts that Scorcese brought the original script to Osage tribal leaders and they weren’t happy with it. He asked them for input and they helped him with the rewrite.

I’ve heard several accounts that Scorcese brought the original script to Osage tribal leaders and they weren’t happy with it. He asked them for input and they helped him with the rewrite.

Non-writers/directors shaping a movie might not have been a stellar idea, though well intentioned.

The Osage scenes that were meant to be impactful fell flat. It felt like they were reading the news off of teleprompters. Devoid of emotion.

The book takes a different path. You don't know who the villains are until the 3rd act. Movie gave it away immediately.

It wasnt that the Osage didnt like the original story, Its that the original story is told from the perspective of the White man and after talking with the Osage he realized that it was a more impactful story if told with a better view of the Osage side of the issues.

It was a long movie, but it also was a way of giving back to the people of that community who had a story long forgotten to most. Showing customs and dress and the lifestyle meant alot to that group and much of the extra time was spent to represent that well beyond just tell a movie.

The book takes a different path. You don't know who the villains are until the 3rd act. Movie gave it away immediately.

That would have made the movie exponentially better

Are the critics afraid to tell Scorcese "hey you aren't as great as you think you are, edit the movie down"? Seems like nobody believes the hype about himself more than Marty. All of his stuff could have been shortened without losing impact.

Are the critics afraid to tell Scorcese "hey you aren't as great as you think you are, edit the movie down"? Seems like nobody believes the hype about himself more than Marty. All of his stuff could have been shortened without losing impact.
I think he felt he owed it to the Indians to do the story justice.. Much of the extra had to do with tone of the issues they dealt with as a tribe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom