LaRay Smith has 3 finalists | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

LaRay Smith has 3 finalists

Chris Fox is a great coach of middle and long distance runners. I think he's done an amazing job (see cross-country teams) but it's been reported that other track athletes, particularly the field athletes are not getting scholarships or the attention on the team they believe they deserve.

Did not know that.

I'd believe it, though. If we think the athletic department is being too cheap by not springing for a well-known offensive coordinator or special teams coach for the football team, what kind of resources are they making available for Fox's assistants. For all we know, their throwing coach could be a volunteer.

Chris is strictly a distance guy - a wise hire, given the previous AD and coach's curious insistence on developing sprinters first at a small northern school - but he has peppered in some very talented sprinters and jumpers. Could be a good fit for Smith.

Did not know that.

I'd believe it, though. If we think the athletic department is being too cheap by not springing for a well-known offensive coordinator or special teams coach for the football team, what kind of resources are they making available for Fox's assistants. For all we know, their throwing coach could be a volunteer.

Chris is strictly a distance guy - a wise hire, given the previous AD and coach's curious insistence on developing sprinters first at a small northern school - but he has peppered in some very talented sprinters and jumpers. Could be a good fit for Smith.
I wish I could find the article but I have been unable to do so. I'm not saying Smith can't be a great sprinter at SU...but just saying from an emphasis standpoint, the other schools may have a leg up on the track side. However, if Fox can get kids like Nick Ryan (F-M) and others to go to a northern school and train on the roads in the harsh winters there, maybe he can convince a sprinter that he will like it at SU.

I wish I could find the article but I have been unable to do so. I'm not saying Smith can't be a great sprinter at SU...but just saying from an emphasis standpoint, the other schools may have a leg up on the track side. However, if Fox can get kids like Nick Ryan (F-M) and others to go to a northern school and train on the roads in the harsh winters there, maybe he can convince a sprinter that he will like it at SU.

Oh, no doubt SEC schools are superior on the track side. I was just saying that Fox and Gross have brought us a long way from the Andy Roberts days, when a track-minded kid picking Syracuse over a southern school would be like a basketball kid picking a Patriot League team over Syracuse. We're more competitive than we once were.

Oh, no doubt SEC schools are superior on the track side. I was just saying that Fox and Gross have brought us a long way from the Andy Roberts days, when a track-minded kid picking Syracuse over a southern school would be like a basketball kid picking a Patriot League team over Syracuse. We're more competitive than we once were.
Sure...agree... SU didn't even have an outdoor track not long ago.

Oregon just picked up a commitment from the #11 RB on ESPN in the class of '13, though he decommitted on tuesday and re-upped his commitment today

CNG_Staszewski Semper Fidelis Bowl selection Laray Smith will visit Tennessee Dec. 30 / Syracuse in Dec. He has track offers from Ole Miss & Illinois.

I would be surprised if it wasn't ... feel pretty good on this kid (I do not think Oregon will offer)
I think the Vols are a threat with their track program. Its not a stong suit for the Orangemen in Syracuse.At this point neither is football.:bang:

I hadn't see that before. Looks like Dec7 is shaping up to be THE recruiting weekend. I think that is also the football banquet weekend which is usually the big recruiting weekend.

home hoop game against Monmouth.

So looks like:
Allen
Wilson
Edwards
Laray
Ebo ??
Can we get one or two from the above list besides the Allen Wilson andEdwards

Can we get one or two from the above list besides the Allen Wilson andEdwards
So there are 5 names listed, three have already committed to SU...and you're wondering if it's too much to ask to get one or two of "the rest" of the names? So basically, can we please have all 5 of those guys.

Gotcha.

So I guess LaRay won't commit until after his visit to Tenn on Dec 30th (isn't this a blackout period?). Does he have an offer from Tenn? Hopefully the new coach doesn't change his decision. We need more players like LaRay!

Plus looks like he is going to miss the Pinstripe bowl as well.

So I guess LaRay won't commit until after his visit to Tenn on Dec 30th (isn't this a blackout period?). Does he have an offer from Tenn? Hopefully the new coach doesn't change his decision. We need more players like LaRay!

Plus looks like he is going to miss the Pinstripe bowl as well.
wouldn't a Dec 30 visit mean there wouldn't be any students, and with Tenn missing a bowl game wouldn't even be any players there? seems a strange weekend for a visit unless lots of the kids head back to Knoxville for New Years :noidea:

December 17-Jan 3 is a dead period...

Dead Period — Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits.

I just read the fizz article - looks like he went to Tenn Nov 30 - so if he is high on SU, what's keeping him from committing? Would be great Xmas present if he committed today or tomorrow or Monday!

I just read the fizz article - looks like he went to Tenn Nov 30 - so if he is high on SU, what's keeping him from committing? Would be great Xmas present if he committed today or tomorrow or Monday!

He's supposed to announce at the Semper Fi game beginning of January...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom