Largest Fanbases | Syracusefan.com

Largest Fanbases

ESPN Research@ESPNResearch
22h
Fave CBB teams per ESPN Sports Poll: 1-Duke, 2-UNC, 3-Kentucky, 4-Ohio St, 5-Syracuse, 6-UConn, 7-Kansas, 8-UCLA, 9-Indiana, 10-Mich St

Kentucky is the gold standard of fan-bases, the way Nebraska is in college football. I know there's no way to really quantify this, but I would imagine that Duke and UNC have many casual, fair-weather fans nationwide, while the majority of Kentucky fans are hardcore.

I feel pretty good about where we sit. Feel like we'd be higher had more of us known about this poll.

Sorry but that is wrong. IMO the top 5 are
1. Kentucky 2. North Carolina 3. Kansas 4. Indiana 5. Ohio State
Syracuse is in the top 10 probably, but we are a private school and like Duke don't pump out 15k alums year. We have a big fanbase, but living in North Carolina Duke doesn't have a HUGE fanbase they move the needle nationally because they are easy to hate, but NC is probably 60% UNC 30% NC State 10% Duke.

Exhibit number 1 why adding UConn to the ACC would be great for hoops.

Unfortunately for them, there are no hoops only schools in the ACC. So there's no Exhibit #2. And Exhibit #1 isn't all that strong a reason.

I think Kansas is a bit low on that list. If they were swapped with Ohio State, that would make more sense to me.

Syracuse is in the top 10 probably, but we are a private school and like Duke don't pump out 15k alums year. We have a big fanbase, but living in North Carolina Duke doesn't have a HUGE fanbase they move the needle nationally because they are easy to hate, but NC is probably 60% UNC 30% NC State 10% Duke.

I might be inclined to put Louisville in the 5th spot over Ohio State (in terms of true basketball passion), but overall I agree with you.

And I would put Indiana ahead of UNC. Indiana filled up Assembly Hall every game when they were winning like 10-12 games per year recently.

Unfortunately for them, there are no hoops only schools in the ACC. So there's no Exhibit #2. And Exhibit #1 isn't all that strong a reason.
and its an espn poll, so they start with storz at 6, and work around it.

probably looking for cheap land from the state by trying to help this useless school with no conference.

Oh Lord

I, ummm, know the guy who posted that.

Ask questions here.

:)

I, ummm, know the guy who posted that.

Ask questions here.

:)

Ask him how he arrived at it. Kansas and IU seem low. Ohio State seems high to me. Sure they have a lot of alumni but they are a FB first school. Also I think Louisville would've been in the Top 10 too.

I might be inclined to put Louisville in the 5th spot over Ohio State (in terms of true basketball passion), but overall I agree with you.

And I would put Indiana ahead of UNC. Indiana filled up Assembly Hall every game when they were winning like 10-12 games per year recently.
it's "Largest Fanbases" - not best or most passionate

Ohio State is the biggest school in the country and has tons of non-alum Ohioans that are fans as well

Louisville has great, passionate fans, but they aren't on the scale those other schools are - except Duke - I guess they have become the notre dame of college basketball with a bunch of people that don't have a school they really root for, so they claim the Dukies since they're always highly ranked

Duke nationally has a ton of casual bandwagon type fans...

Kentucky is the gold standard of fan-bases, the way Nebraska is in college football. I know there's no way to really quantify this, but I would imagine that Duke and UNC have many casual, fair-weather fans nationwide, while the majority of Kentucky fans are hardcore.

Agreed. They easily outnumbered us at the Meadowlands back in '96 even though it was in our sweet spot for attendance.

When we played Carolina at the Garden when Wes had his coming-out party, garden was full and fans were split about 50/50, maybe 60-40 'Cuse but there was a lot of Carolina blue in the house.

If both SU and Indiana make it to DC, I will be interested to see what the ratio is of Orange to Red...

Ask him how he arrived at it. Kansas and IU seem low. Ohio State seems high to me. Sure they have a lot of alumni but they are a FB first school. Also I think Louisville would've been in the Top 10 too.

I'll ask him... he's a brilliant guy by the way... and devastatingly handsome...

OK.

The ESPN Sports Poll is a scientific survey that gathers info from more than 25,000 fans each year. It's weighted and modeled to reflect the interests and demographics of the entire U.S. population.

In this case, respondents are asked if they're a college hoops fans, what "level" fan are they (avid, moderate, etc), and what is their favorite team. That top 10 only make up about 30% of responses, there's a large, long tail, not surprisingly.

Duke simply has an enormous fanbase spread nation wide. It's why they consistently draw among the biggest TV audiences every year. This has nothing to do with attendance, alumni base, etc explicitly -- it's about expressed affinity for a program. It's basically a very precise measure of a program's "brand".

Hope that helps.

I'll ask him... he's a brilliant guy by the way... and devastatingly handsome...

OK.

The ESPN Sports Poll is a scientific survey that gathers info from more than 25,000 fans each year. It's weighted and modeled to reflect the interests and demographics of the entire U.S. population.

In this case, respondents are asked if they're a college hoops fans, what "level" fan are they (avid, moderate, etc), and what is their favorite team. That top 10 only make up about 30% of responses, there's a large, long tail, not surprisingly.

Duke simply has an enormous fanbase spread nation wide. It's why they consistently draw among the biggest TV audiences every year. This has nothing to do with attendance, alumni base, etc explicitly -- it's about expressed affinity for a program. It's basically a very precise measure of a program's "brand".

Hope that helps.
tell him the patriots suck and Eli>brady ;)

and dont get me started on the redsux...

:rolling:

If both SU and Indiana make it to DC, I will be interested to see what the ratio is of Orange to Red...

Lots of people may go blind with that matchup.

Agreed. They easily outnumbered us at the Meadowlands back in '96 even though it was in our sweet spot for attendance.

When we played Carolina at the Garden when Wes had his coming-out party, garden was full and fans were split about 50/50, maybe 60-40 'Cuse but there was a lot of Carolina blue in the house.

The passion for SU basketball in NYC is bigger now than it ever has been. I'd love to see the crowd breakdown if that game were played today. Even back in 04 and 05 we had mediocre crowds for the preseason games at MSG.

it's "Largest Fanbases" - not best or most passionate

Ohio State is the biggest school in the country and has tons of non-alum Ohioans that are fans as well

Louisville has great, passionate fans, but they aren't on the scale those other schools are - except Duke - I guess they have become the notre dame of college basketball with a bunch of people that don't have a school they really root for, so they claim the Dukies since they're always highly ranked

Ohio St. isn't the largest but they are in the Top 5. Div I schools by enrollment:

1. Arizona State
2. Minnesota
3. UCF
4. Ohio State
5. Texas

I had extra tickets to the 2010 East regionals at the Dome and was stoked to see Kentucky in that region. Easy money. Also having WVU and Cornell in there helped too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom