Last night was our most encouraging result in years... | Syracusefan.com

Last night was our most encouraging result in years...

NYCorange

2nd String
I don't normally watch the football games because frankly, it just makes me depressed how outclassed we are and undisciplined we are. And there wasn't any hope for the future. And I'm a die-hard Buffalo Bills fan, so I'm no fair weather fan.

But I tuned in last night and it gave me hope. Our team had spunk, was clearly well coached, was far more organized in game #2 of the Babers era than in any game I'd seen of the Schafer era. We aggressively attacked a top opponent and took the game to them instead of just hoping to hang around with conservative play. They had to fake injuries to slow us down, and any offensive recruit in the country would be excited to play in our system. Our defense needs work, and the final result wasn't pretty, but for the first time in YEARS, I feel like we have an identity and a plan that we can build on.

I don't normally watch the football games because frankly, it just makes me depressed how outclassed we are and undisciplined we are. And there wasn't any hope for the future. And I'm a die-hard Buffalo Bills fan, so I'm no fair weather fan.

But I tuned in last night and it gave me hope. Our team had spunk, was clearly well coached, was far more organized in game #2 of the Babers era than in any game I'd seen of the Schafer era. We aggressively attacked a top opponent and took the game to them instead of just hoping to hang around with conservative play. They had to fake injuries to slow us down, and any offensive recruit in the country would be excited to play in our system. Our defense needs work, and the final result wasn't pretty, but for the first time in YEARS, I feel like we have an identity and a plan that we can build on.

It's encouraging to me because you can literally see progress, team and individual skill building play by play and game by game.

It's encouraging to me because you can literally see progress, team and individual skill building play by play and game by game.
I would agree that at least we appear to be a well coached team on offense, defense is another story. I've been saying for years when my buddy and I commence the annual debate whether or not to renew our tickets while we question why we keep doing this to ourselves (we drive in from Rochester) that we cannot be both simultaneously boring and bad. For 15 years we have basically been both with a couple seasons of mediocrity sprinkled in as the pinnacle. The offense at least makes us an entertaining, albeit still a bad team, and who knows, we might win a game or two we have no business winning because of it.

L'ville might be one of the best offensive teams in college football this year. I'll wait on passing judgment on the defense until they play a middle of the road team. If we give up 800 yards to USF then we are in for a long season.

Agree. We had little to no push from the offensive line. The veteran running banks are not distinguishing themselves. Dungey was subpar. His best asset is still his legs. Yet we scored 28 and put up 400-plus yards, almost all of that before the game got out of hand. I'm really encouraged by the offensive scheme. Crap play at any one position doesn't doom us to no production like it did in the past. They'll tighten things up as the year progresses and we'll score enough to win a few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom