Laura Keeley(Duke beat writer) with a good piece on 6 man rotations | Syracusefan.com

Laura Keeley(Duke beat writer) with a good piece on 6 man rotations

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article54026650.html

This article does a good job showing how short rotations wear players down. This year even in the non-conference when we typically play a deeper rotation it was cut short. Our guys clearly wear down in February a lot of years and don't have legs for the real season in March.

When we went 30-1 in 2012 JB played a 9.5 man rotation and it paid off. Unless we have 7 players like we did in 2010 it really doesn't make sense to want to play short rotations.

Via TNIAAM and Ken Pom, Syracuse ranks 351st out 351 teams in bench minutes (counting Tyler Lydon as the starting C instead of Coleman).

Being able to go with deeper rotations is a luxury only afforded to teams with the talent to do so.

D1 Talent:
Gbinije
Cooney
Richardson
Roberson
Coleman
Lydon
Howard

Not D1 Talent:
Kaleb Joseph
Obokoh

2012 D1 Talent:
Scoop
Triche
Kris Joseph
Rak
Fab
Fair
Waiters
Southerland
Keita
MCW

Not D1 Talent:
Mookie

Brooky03 said:
Being able to go with deeper rotations is a luxury only afforded to teams with the talent to do so. D1 Talent: Gbinije Cooney Richardson Roberson Coleman Lydon Howard Not D1 Talent: Kaleb Joseph Obokoh 2012 D1 Talent: Scoop Triche Kris Joseph Rak Fab Fair Waiters Southerland Keita MCW Not D1 Talent: Mookie
The one thing that could absolutely transform this years team is Mookie Jones

If Joseph and Obokoh aren't D1 players then we should have a lot more changes next year. I don't think Joseph is a lost cause I think he just needs confidence.

If Joseph and Obokoh aren't D1 players then we should have a lot more changes next year. I don't think Joseph is a lost cause I think he just needs confidence.

I'm waivering on KJ. I was in the 'let's wait and see' boat for a long time but that view is changing. I don't see him getting much playing time next season and doubt the coaches are going to want to wait around and hope he figures it out by senior year. Obokoh seems like he should be a more effective Keita, but he just looks lost everytime he's on the court.

Last edited by a moderator:

This article does a good job showing how short rotations wear players down. This year even in the non-conference when we typically play a deeper rotation it was cut short. Our guys clearly wear down in February a lot of years and don't have legs for the real season in March.

When we went 30-1 in 2012 JB played a 9.5 man rotation and it paid off. Unless we have 7 players like we did in 2010 it really doesn't make sense to want to play short rotations.
it's the one area where JB's otherwise amazing intuition is just all wrong.

If KJ can't get 5 minutes on a team with a small forward playing PG, I'm not sure he can get significant minutes next season. There's 120 minutes a game between the two G spots and SF for four players. There's no reason Cooney, Malachi, and Gbinije can't rotate for 90-100 of them if Joseph was good enough player.

This isn't like freshman MCW stuck behind Dion, Scoop, and Triche on a team with three excellent SFs. And MCW still played more minutes than Kaleb is.

Common sense. But wait didnt K basically agree w JB when he said these kids dont get tired? I guess subtle nuance they must have been talking about. Ie a single game vs the entire season. Too funny

With how K describes his practices with the short bench it shows they don't really practice with contact that much after games. If that is how K coaches it I can't believe JB would differ that much. It would make it show why we don't incorporate as many in-season changes as others do because our practice schedule has to be reduced because the kids are playing so many minutes.
JB will forget more about basketball than I will ever learn but this short rotation stuff really shows our kids wear down when the season matters the most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom