Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

I'm not trying to get into psychoanalysis but I think there'll be a big difference between Gross and Coyle in that, as a first time AD, Gross was trying to make a big early impression. Coyle has already been an AD, so he doesn't need to make a big splash. His reputation speaks for itself. He can sit back and be a little more patient.

Well he's done it before so hopefully he's learned from his learning curve at his previous stops.

I'm not trying to get into psychoanalysis but I think there'll be a big difference between Gross and Coyle in that, as a first time AD, Gross was trying to make a big early impression. Coyle has already been an AD, so he doesn't need to make a big splash. His reputation speaks for itself. He can sit back and be a little more patient.
Gross was the executioner, but Nancy Bonaparte owned the guillotine. I would imagine that Gross would have let P play out his contract and made a more careful decision with a greater pool to choose from.

Noexcuse said:
Gross was the executioner, but Nancy Bonaparte owned the guillotine. I would imagine that Gross would have let P play out his contract and made a more careful decision with a greater pool to choose from.

Maybe you're right, I blame them both whoever did it officially. It was the worst timed/excecuted decision ever.

Post bowl game loss coming off a regular sesson ending win over rival BC that had tied us for the conf championship, sufficiently bouyed the fan base away from the kill switch. It was also a month before recruiting signing day, 2 weeks after everyone else found their musical chair seat on the coaching carousel and 4 weeks after extending P's contract and classlessly handling a widely respected coach among coaches with a nearly 20 yr history with the program as a head and assistant coach, by blathering about it on TV at halftime without even coming back to campus to tell him first.

Lost recruits, lost money, lost continuity of program history and culture, lost a chance at a good coach, lost respect P had earned in CFB and with HS coaches, lost respect for the program at large by clearly showing people how poorly run things were going to be under these two. I love that we have a new pair in charge, clearly Sev is a smart calculated decision maker regardless of whether you agree with his choices.

Id love to see a commit list for mid December and an LOI list from February for the class of 2004 fb recruits.

I think we all know where those recruits went and the program that got its first good year ever by playing them.

Last edited:
The impression I get when people post about specific systems (the spread), they want an offensive identity that takes advantage of the environment we play in - the Dome. We have had no offensive identity since P and D left. The one good year of offense since was just that, one year and put in 2 weeks prior to the season because the offense that Hackett had wasn't working. The only offense since Shafer has been HC has been a disaster. I think that if Lester can show improvement, people will come around. Until then people will be skeptical...
Somebody has been paying attention.

We will see, but this is the only way to do it. This is the only way to get sustained success. It wont help us if we have one year where we win 8 or 9 games and then the next year miss a bowl game. We need to build something reliable. Hate to keep using them as an example but this is the way Duke did it. Now its paying off.
Having been a fan from the 50's on, that's the way Ben, and Mac did it, and that is how to sustain success. We have too many fans who seem to think that, just because some schools seem to have instant success, that can happen here, it won't.

OK - someone (or SU itself) could make some money here by selling this puppy individualized with the fan's name. Frame it - Christmas/Birthday present - done. Ca-ching.
Hey Coach Shafer...let's extend the family by sending out a 100000 of these......plus a coupon to be redeemed for season tickets. Bet you get another 12 to 15 thousand sold...corny but it might work.

Free Article..

August 11, 2015

New York vs. New England All-Star Challenge Positional Review: Linebackers

There was an incredible display of talent from the linebacker position at last weekend's New York vs. New England All-Star Challenge. What makes their collective performance so impressive is that it can sometimes be difficult for linebackers to stand out in the 7-on-7 format.

Particularly at the high school level, most linebackers are known for being strong run-stoppers with pass coverage being a secondary skill. The linebacker prospects who sign up for a 7-on-7 event show much more than a willingness to compete- they demonstrate a willingness to work on an important facet of the game which may be outside of their comfort zone. With the way college and professional offenses are trending, a linebacker who can also be an asset in pass coverage is becoming increasingly valuable.

The four linebacker participants at the New York vs. New England All-Star Challenge were not only high in character, but also extremely talented. Koby Quansah and Taylor Riggins have already committed to ACC schools, Duke and Syracuse, respectively, and the other two, Blake Gallagher and Chris Agyemang, both hold FBS offers.

UConn Report spoke with multiple coaches and scouts at the event and aggregated scouting notes for each player as part of a running series on the positional groups present at the event.

Koby Quansah (Class of 2016, 4-stars, committed to Duke): One of the most physically imposing players at the camp, explosive and smart player, highly refined in his technique, a leader on the field.

Taylor Riggins (Class of 2016, 2-stars, committed to Syracuse): Showed great technique. One of the most impressive players on the New York team, definitely top 2-3. Great stature but also moves very well for his size, intimidating physical appearance. Was also a pleasure to coach.

Blake Gallagher (Class of 2017, 3-stars, offers from Boston College, Duke, Maryland, Nebraska, North Carolina, Northwestern): Great size, especially for a junior, showed good quickness, needs to work on balance and getting faster in coverage.

Chris Agyemang (Class of 2016, offers from Navy and Marist): Great build, a lot of raw talent, showed good potential, would be a good fit as a strong-side OLB in a 3-4 or end in a 4-3.

635754315825497461-SD-081715-AQUINAS-D-SPTS.jpg

That is Riggins with the ball.

Aquinas plays Syracuse CBA in the Dome September 5th in a game that features a bunch of D1 prospects, including 2 of the top QBs in the state, Zembiac of Aquinas and Brotzki of CBA.

Should be a good one to watch.

Last edited:
635754315825497461-SD-081715-AQUINAS-D-SPTS.jpg

That is Riggins with the ball.

Aquinas plays Syracuse CBA in the Dome September 5th in a game that features a bunch of D1 prospects, including 2 of the top QBs in the state, Zembiac of Aquinas and Brotzki of CBA.

Should be a good one to watch.
Where do you think Brotzki will end up at and is the Cuse still an option for him?

Where do you think Brotzki will end up at and is the Cuse still an option for him?
I don't have any inside info but with his dad working for SU and being a former player who is really close to the program, I expect Jack will be attending Syracuse next year as a walk-on (with free tuition).

As we found out last year, you can't have too much depth at QB.

I don't have any inside info but with his dad working for SU and being a former player who is really close to the program, I expect Jack will be attending Syracuse next year as a walk-on (with free tuition).

As we found out last year, you can't have too much depth at QB.
Does he project at any other position?

I have seen him listed at 6'2 210, so he has the size to possibly contribute elsewhere. But I think he is going to be a QB come hell or highwater.

Jake Zembiec has a shoulder issue. Jamir Jones will be playin QB the first couple games.

I will try to find out about Brotzki I coach at CBA I haven't heard much about his college plans. Something seemed fishy with Zembiac at the scrimmage the coaches for Aquinas were telling us he was at a party for his grandparents and wasn't there. Is this new news that he's out because this is the first I'm hearing about it?

I will try to find out about Brotzki I coach at CBA I haven't heard much about his college plans. Something seemed fishy with Zembiac at the scrimmage the coaches for Aquinas were telling us he was at a party for his grandparents and wasn't there. Is this new news that he's out because this is the first I'm hearing about it?
I was told this today. There were rumors last week that he could miss some time.