Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

There are alot of reasons why he should be kept.
Agreed. It is a different situation when a player has suffered an injury like Riggins did. Plus he is from NYS and he is from one of the best programs in the state.

If the staff pulls his scholarship, it does not send a good message to all the HS coaches in the state. Dino made it a point to talk about the importance of recruiting players from NYS in his initial presser. If he is serious about this, he needs to assure Taylor is scholarship offer is solid ASAP.

Agreed. It is a different situation when a player has suffered an injury like Riggins did. Plus he is from NYS and he is from one of the best programs in the state.

If the staff pulls his scholarship, it does not send a good message to all the HS coaches in the state. Dino made it a point to talk about the importance of recruiting players from NYS in his initial presser. If he is serious about this, he needs to assure Taylor is scholarship offer is solid ASAP.
Cant say any better than that. Also Aquinas is the #18 ranked team in the country and will continue to have prospects each year. If you ever want to get the Jarron/Jamir Jone's, Zembiec's, Chad Kelly's of the state you have to keep good relations and show that you are willing to win with some of the less attractive players of the state too.

Cant say any better than that. Also Aquinas is the #18 ranked team in the country and will continue to have prospects each year. If you ever want to get the Jarron/Jamir Jone's, Zembiec's, Chad Kelly's of the state you have to keep good relations and show that you are willing to win with some of the less attractive players of the state too.
Well said Money! I hope the new staff is aware of that. The fact that we have scholarships available and he is a intriguing prospect makes me hope we keep him. Hope someone is in the ear of these new coaches about this.

I appreciate the sentiment but I can probably count on 2 fingers the number of national recruits we've landed over the past 15-20 years because we've been the good citizen program that's willing to take on the ballast to get a foot in the door. I'm tired of the ballast. I can name far more kids where we've taken the less talented older brother in the hopes of landing the younger brother, which didn't work out, or we took the lightly recruited player in year 1 in the hopes of landing national recruit in year 2, which didn't work out, etc, etc. I think it's overestimated the sway that a high school football coach has over a prospect when national programs come calling, especially in this state.

I want us to recruit NY and recruit NY hard, but only for kids that fit the profile of the program and that the staff feel will be contributors. If that describes Riggins, then fantastic, but if it doesn't, we should move in a different direction since we have the opportunity to do that.

I appreciate the sentiment but I can probably count on 2 fingers the number of national recruits we've landed over the past 15-20 years because we've been the good citizen program that's willing to take on the ballast to get a foot in the door. I'm tired of the ballast. I can name far more kids where we've taken the less talented older brother in the hopes of landing the younger brother, which didn't work out, or we took the lightly recruited player in year 1 in the hopes of landing national recruit in year 2, which didn't work out, etc, etc. I think it's overestimated the sway that a high school football coach has over a prospect when national programs come calling, especially in this state.

I want us to recruit NY and recruit NY hard, but only for kids that fit the profile of the program and that the staff feel will be contributors. If that describes Riggins, then fantastic, but if it doesn't, we should move in a different direction since we have the opportunity to do that.
We all know NYS is not a hotbed of talent. Thats obvious. No one is asking the coaches to recruit every kid in the state. lol just one. Yes eventually through good relationships and trust of local coaches you might get a higher profile player that can boost excitement within the state. They need to show some effort so they can receive support from state hs coaches. Recruiting is about relationships and if you dont have a good one then even the 2 star player that can add depth, special teams, etc.. will go elsewhere.

Last edited:
We all know NYS is not a hotbed of talent. Thats obvious. No one is asking the coaches to recruit every kid in the state. lol just one. Yes eventually through good relationships and trust of local coaches you might get a higher profile player that can boost excited within the state. They need to show some effort so they can receive support from state hs coaches. Recruiting is about relationships and if you dont have a good one then even the 2 star player that can add depth, special teams, etc.. will go elsewhere.
Just to tack on to what you've already said, you take guys like Riggins. Here's a guy who's been successful at one of the top programs in the state.

Does it guarantee you get a higher profile kid from that program? Absolutely not. But you could get the opportunity to get the higher profile kid. And at the end of the day, that's what it's really about.

We all know NYS is not a hotbed of talent. Thats obvious. No one is asking the coaches to recruit every kid in the state. lol just one. Yes eventually through good relationships and trust of local coaches you might get a higher profile player that can boost excited within the state. They need to show some effort so they can receive support from state hs coaches. Recruiting is about relationships and if you dont have a good one then even the 2 star player that can add depth, special teams, etc.. will go elsewhere.

Prior to his injury, does Taylor Riggins fit the current staff's philosophy and needs at the positions that he can play?

I am not qualified to know the answer, and I'm not trying to be smart. But I just want the best kids for the spots we need. And if it means a local kid, even better. But if it means that it isn't a right fit for the local kid, I think that's fine, too.

Hope the answer is that he does fit the philosophy. No idea if he does or not.

Honest question: Do schools like Notre Dame, Penn State, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. have those coaching relationships? Or is that they are just factory type schools that get who they want? It seems bizarre to me that Syracuse would have to take all the steps to get to the best in state players, when we are the only notable in state football program. I know it's not realistic to think that SU has the pull to just pick and choose players, but it's kinda sad in light of the other programs I just listed who get any NY player they want.

Prior to his injury, does Taylor Riggins fit the current staff's philosophy and needs at the positions that he can play?

I am not qualified to know the answer, and I'm not trying to be smart. But I just want the best kids for the spots we need. And if it means a local kid, even better. But if it means that it isn't a right fit for the local kid, I think that's fine, too.

Hope the answer is that he does fit the philosophy. No idea if he does or not.
Fit. Yes it matters but he is a 6'2 215 pound kid who runs a 4.6 40. Those are the same measurables of alot of 4 or 5 star guys at that position. He can play outside or inside LB. Sometimes coaches just want to bring in their own recruits. The fit thing is sometimes used as an excuse to recruit their own players. Ive seen him play several times. The kid is old school tough. The type that gives otis anderson forearms when running the ball.

Fit. Yes it matters but he is a 6'2 215 pound kid who runs a 4.6 40. Those are the same measurables of alot of 4 or 5 star guys at that position. He can play outside or inside LB. Sometimes coaches just want to bring in their own recruits. The fit thing is sometimes used as an excuse to recruit their own players. Ive seen him play several times. The kid is old school tough. The type that gives otis anderson forearms when running the ball.
Money, you should reach out to the staff, Cole Dial or Eric and let them know your thoughts. I realize they probably don't like the average fan doing this, but you're not the average fan. You get it, and know football. Hate for them to miss something here and let this kid walk.

...or better yet, the Larry Csonka forearm ;-)

jr4750 said:
Money, you should reach out to the staff, Cole Dial or Eric and let them know your thoughts. I realize they probably don't like the average fan doing this, but you're not the average fan. You get it, and know football. Hate for them to miss something here and let this kid walk.

Don't know if Eric or Cole are still there...

IIRC, HCDM got very disappointed in trying to recruit via the high school coaches' influence. Kids didn't respond in loyalty to past relationships like he thought they should.

Don't know if Eric or Cole are still there...
Pretty sure that they are gone.

Honest question: Do schools like Notre Dame, Penn State, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. have those coaching relationships? Or is that they are just factory type schools that get who they want? It seems bizarre to me that Syracuse would have to take all the steps to get to the best in state players, when we are the only notable in state football program. I know it's not realistic to think that SU has the pull to just pick and choose players, but it's kinda sad in light of the other programs I just listed who get any NY player they want.
Those programs you mention have something in common They win. Bottom line, If we start winning and showing a winning product. The players will stay.

if SU becomes good again it wont matter to most ny kids that other kids didnt get recruited and in reality most coaches dont follow it close enough to even know. even the best ny schools dont come up with kids SU would want on a consistent basis. if we canned recruiting all the NY kids would it really change the program for the worse..

I wasn't trying to say I didn't think he fit or anything of the sort - I was just asking an honest question.

Hope he continues to be recruited and comes to SU.

OrangeAl said:
IIRC, HCDM got very disappointed in trying to recruit via the high school coaches' influence. Kids didn't respond in loyalty to past relationships like he thought they should.

Just curious, why would anyone think a kid should make a decision for their life based off your football coach's relationship with another football coach?

Those programs you mention have something in common They win. Bottom line, If we start winning and showing a winning product. The players will stay.

If we start winning they're going to stay regardless of whether we take flyers on project recruits from their schools in prior years.

NKR1978 said:
Just curious, why would anyone think a kid should make a decision for their life based off your football coach's relationship with another football coach?

HS coaches are very influential. Especially when the home life isn't great (not speculating on this specific kid) - their opinions matter.

Strickland went against his coach and the community and it was rough.

HS coaches are very influential. Especially when the home life isn't great (not speculating on this specific kid) - their opinions matter.

Strickland went against his coach and the community and it was rough.

Where did his coach/community want him to go?

Where did his coach/community want him to go?
IIRC I think the general consensus is that a lot of people wanted him to stay home and attend Rutgers. His HS head coach may even have had a connection to the program.