Leading Candidate to replace Steve Donahue at BC after the year is Bruce Pearl | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Leading Candidate to replace Steve Donahue at BC after the year is Bruce Pearl

Briancuse said:
I can't see hop taking it, it is a bad job, lack of support, bad facilities, in a pro sports town, where no one cares about Bc.

It's better than being an assistant for life. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity for Hop.

It's better than being an assistant for life. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity for Hop.

And what happens if he doesn't get it done there, he is going to get a chance to take over the rolls-royce one of these days.

Frozen said:
Is it?

I'm sure he would make more in one season than he would make in 5 as an assistant. And I think Hop could definitely turn the program around in a great conference. He's an excellent recruiter and I think his teams could compete with one of the best teams in the conference (us) with his knowledge about us on X's and O's alone.

Briancuse said:
And what happens if he doesn't get it done there, he is going to get a chance to take over the rolls-royce one of these days.

I never thought JB would retire within the next 5 years, after his tirade the other night I think cemented that he won't and probably even longer. JB has a ton of passion and competitiveness still and he doesn't seem like the type to be sitting home all year. As he says, he loves it here and wintertime is basketball season.

If he does blow it at BC and doesn't improve the program, maybe it would be a blessing in disguise for us.

If they don't hire Pearl, I hope they hire Seth Greenburg. That would put an end to that god-awful pretending to be opposing coaches shctick. Damn, I hate that.

I never thought JB would retire within the next 5 years, after his tirade the other night I think cemented that he won't and probably even longer. JB has a ton of passion and competitiveness still and he doesn't seem like the type to be sitting home all year. As he says, he loves it here and wintertime is basketball season.

If he does blow it at BC and doesn't improve the program, maybe it would be a blessing in disguise for us.

I realize that, but JB isn't going to be coaching until he is 80, at some point he is going to get tired of the grind

It might be a blessing for us, but it wouldn't be for him.

They should rehire al skinner. Never should have gotten rid of him in the first place

The problem with Skinner is when I think of him, I don't picture Skinner but rather I picture Dudley's dad from Different Strokes. I'm waiting for the Gooch to beat up Arnold...

That's the talk all over Tennessee. Have you seen this petition? over 24,000 signed. Ridiculous.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/188/247/026/
I have no idea why they worship him so much. He made one elite 8 and they act as if he's John Wooden. I told one acquaintance I know that they shouldn't aim so low. Throw a bunch of money at a mid major coach that's made a final four.

I have no idea why they worship him so much. He made one elite 8 and they act as if he's John Wooden. I told one acquaintance I know that they shouldn't aim so low. Throw a bunch of money at a mid major coach that's made a final four.
Agreed. Pearl's obsession with the UT program is also strange to me.

Fran McCaffrey not feeling the love in Iowa. He would probably welcome return to the east.

Like Pearl or hate him, He took a middle of the pack Tennessee team and brought them close to the top of the SEC. Similar to PayPalCal, He is a slick used car salesman with the gift for gab. I think he would be a positive addition to the ACC. After doing a quick Wikipedia search, I didn't realize it but he's a Boston college grad from Massachusetts. If that's not a slamdunk I don't know what is!

I can see Seth Greenberg getting a look by BC even though he is Jewish. He took Virginia Tech out of obscurity and had a winning record while there. He unfortunately only took them to the NCAA tourney once in his 9 years but on the cusp many times. I don't know what the AD was thinking about because VT has been at the bottom of the ACC the last two years.

I can see Seth Greenberg getting a look by BC even though he is Jewish. He took Virginia Tech out of obscurity and had a winning record while there. He unfortunately only took them to the NCAA tourney once in his 9 years but on the cusp many times. I don't know what the AD was thinking about because VT has been at the bottom of the ACC the last two years.

So's Pearl. And I don't think BC is too big on discrimination (though that would give me one more reason to dislike them).

Say what you want about Bruce Pearl as a person, but the guy can coach his a__ off. Took Wisconsin-Milwaukee to the Sweet 16 (how have they done since he left?) and turned Tennessee into a contender very quickly.

He would immediately turn around BC's program.

So's Pearl. And I don't think BC is too big on discrimination (though that would give me one more reason to dislike them).

Not that I agree but BC, as Catholic School, can choose a candidate that has the same values(religious values) as them. Not that they would ever state that. I personally would take Seth over Pearl due to his polarizing situations. Seth had good recruiting classes at Virginia Tech with a top 15 class in 2011 and about to follow that class up with Montrezl Harrell. His teams before that were decent but he seemed to coach them up pretty good.

Didn't he beat BC to get to that Sweet 16 at UWM? I'd rather face Pearl at BC than an up and coming great recruiter. Teams are making a living plucking talent out of Mass (HS and Prep) right now and I don't think Pearl is going to put a stop to that. Be thankful BC didn't hire Papile instead of Donahue.

Another name I am hearing from my BC friends besides Pearl who would be their first choice is Towson's Pat Skerry. I think he could be the guy if BC couldn't get Pearl or Cooley(my first choice if I was running BC).

Not that I agree but BC, as Catholic School, can choose a candidate that has the same values(religious values) as them. Not that they would ever state that. I personally would take Seth over Pearl due to his polarizing situations. Seth had good recruiting classes at Virginia Tech with a top 15 class in 2011 and about to follow that class up with Montrezl Harrell. His teams before that were decent but he seemed to coach them up pretty good.

I was having some fun with it; all things being equal, many of those schools would prefer to hire a coach who is a religious or cultural match.

As for BC, I'm delighted at the way their athletic administration meddled its way into making the basketball program irrelevant. Hope they keep it up.

Pearl is a BC grad who has been passed over by BC many times as their coach. Interesting that they would consider him now if it's actually true. I remember years ago around the O'Brien era and aftermath , his name being brought up and their fans , boosters etc having a cow because of his purported indiscretions.

Come on... Is it really discrimination if a Jesuit school prefers not to hire a Jewish or Athiest coach...

Are there many White coaches at HBC's? That would be worse... because being white isn't contradicting any belief system.

I just had this debate with a very Christian colleague of mine (he is much much more religious than I) and he thought Christian's were under attack... I disagreed with him. But he may have a point...

Another convo I had with a different colleague (a very very liberal colleague) about the Elkington tweet yesterday... He made an interesting point... everything is an insult unless its about a fat person, uneducated white person, redneck, rebublican or Christian (especially Catholic)... and then everything is fair game.