Leon Lowery transferring to Wisconsin (again) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Leon Lowery transferring to Wisconsin (again)

Are coaches required to take a player back once they enter the portal?

Lets say our new head coach finds a LB in the portal that he likes and gets a commitment then Lowery says I want to come back to SU.

What? Are you serious? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve read since “shrader just shouldn’t play against FSU”
Glad to hear I have made it into your realm of asinine, you are a beacon I aspired to. Listen I followed up my post with my thinking that we are about to lose staff and players. Yeah probably not accurate. If not, then great. Again thanks for the kind words, like I said I aspire to your greatness.

Lets say our new head coach finds a LB in the portal that he likes and gets a commitment then Lowery says I want to come back to SU.

I believe so. SU had a few guys that came back after they entered.

Glad to hear I have made it into your realm of asinine, you are a beacon I aspired to. Listen I followed up my post with my thinking that we are about to lose staff and players. Yeah probably not accurate. If not, then great. Again thanks for the kind words, like I said I aspire to your greatness.
It’s common sense, not greatness. But thank you!

Exactly, CFB has killed its own cash cow. The bowl games. They're a notch above a spring game.
Or they weren’t the cash cow we thought.

The money is in the tv deals. Bigger deals are coming with playoffs and more playoffs

They are absolutely not required to take a player back

They can, if they want

But as soon as you enter the portal you give up your scholarship and that becomes an open spot on your team

If you fill it and have no room and they decide to come back….its too bad so sad

These hurt because of depth. You can't lose #1s and 2's off the depth chart. In a year when we had no pass rush we could've used him.

Linton went to Texas Tech and produced 22 tackles, 4.5 TFLs, 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. (nearly identical to his SU stats. Played 8 games.)

the program is going to take a big step back next year.

A big step back? From what, 2-6 in conference with wins against a putrid Pitt and Wake team? We also have consistently (eight years under Dino) ranked near the bottom of the ACC in recruiting rankings as well. Additionally, is Pitt, Wake, BC, VPI expected to be much/significantly better next year? Other than FSU and Clemson probably being solidly/high ranked, all other remaining schools in the conference, i.e. NCST, UNC & UM, etc. are, let's just say, far from unbeatable.

Moreover, next season's OOC schedule is very weak again. I guess , if we do end up losing to one or two of these weak OOC opponent's next season, then perhaps, the program would be taking a pretty big step backwards.

If I’m on the staff, anyone who enters the portal with no intention of returning has no access to any of the football facilities. No exceptions.
I feel the same way about folks that want to opt out of the bowl to pursue their pro dreams. Thanks for the memories but you're not on the team anymore. A couple yrs ago It bothered me to see Kenny Pickett chilling on the sidelines for Pitt's bowl game while his teammates were going to war. All in or all out.

Too bad so sad bye bye. That's the risk you take. No free lunch.

247 has 4 of our players in the transfer portal ( Seabourn ) ( Folk ) ( Greenwood ) ( Nolton ) does anyone know if Lowery is still transferring out ? I would love to see him come back.

Lowery was probably our best defensive player this year. He’s not comparable to Linton in the slightest.
Think Marlowe was a bit better at least, but I think Lowery has higher upside than Steve. Leon’s an animal and could be an NFL body. Tough loss.

Bowls, which became watered down when they were no longer rewards for above average seasons, are being further watered down by player defections. They are like minor league playoffs in baseball: more about next year's team than this year's team. (See LeQuint Allen vs. Minnesota last year while Sean Tucker sat out.)

Think Marlowe was a bit better at least, but I think Lowery has higher upside than Steve. Leon’s an animal and could be an NFL body. Tough loss.

It’s not a loss, til he signs elsewhere.

Still could be saved, given we have the Nation’s #1 recruiter in the loud house now.

Let’s not forget both Wilson & Alford were in the portal briefly last year.
And then they weren’t.

He’s worth the effort and NIL to retain, and surely will be a top priority for Brown & crew, along with LeQuint & QGII.

(was gonna assume we’d keep Villari, given he’s already transferred 1x, but there’s supposedly the rumored “fired coach” exemption??
Anyway - we’d clearly want to keep him too.)

I think barring a scenario like perhaps Bronco coming in we are going to likely be dealing with staff potentially departing and players these next 4 weeks. If we retain enough of the staff and starters then great and let's bowl. I am just guessing that there can be some unique transition happening. I could be wrong, my ole lady often says I am. Happy to be wrong here but I get the feeling that staff will be looking and players will be leaving while in transition here.
Assistant coaches are under contract through the last signing day. They aren’t just going to wander off unless replaced or released. Standard practice is if you get a promotion your current job lets you move on quickly.

247 has 4 of our players in the transfer portal ( Seabourn ) ( Folk ) ( Greenwood ) ( Nolton ) does anyone know if Lowery is still transferring out ? I would love to see him come back.
Not exactly a mass exodus so far. We shall see. That list could be a win win for, those guys get somewhere with a chance to play, roster spots open up.

They are absolutely not required to take a player back

They can, if they want

But as soon as you enter the portal you give up your scholarship and that becomes an open spot on your team

If you fill it and have no room and they decide to come back….its too bad so sad
Yes they give up their scholarship but I believe that they also get to finish out the academic semester as they have to be academically in good standing to transfer to another school.

How did CFB kill it? More the players and player agents that killed it, IMHO.
Specifically McCaffrey killed the bowl system. Once he sat out and got drafted high and excelled, the door was open. For the record I don't blame the players at all - wonder if future NIL deal will have a bowl participation bonus?