Lest we forget... | Syracusefan.com

Lest we forget...

Crusty

Living Legend
For two years in a row, Terrel Hunt, our starting QB went down with season ending injury. Lester's offense would seem to be ideally suited to Hun't skill set. The world might look a lot different were he available.
Also, Dungey could have red shirted and been even more awesome next year.

Just sayin

Hunt is no way as accurate a passer as Dungey is. Hunt would be a better runner. However, I don't think Hunt would make this offense any better unless he magically improved his completion percentage.

I think while the Hunt injury sucked for a good kid it actually helped the SU offense by putting a better passer and somebody who has shown he is more athletic a runner than we knew in Eric Dungey.

For two years in a row, Terrel Hunt, our starting QB went down with season ending injury. Lester's offense would seem to be ideally suited to Hun't skill set. The world might look a lot different were he available.

Just sayin
To me the message is that we've had a lot of transition in our offense. The more consistency we can develop, the better the unit as a whole should perform. We've had 3 different starting qb's in 6 games with two of our best offensive players sidelined for several games. The line has been tweaked and is struggling to find their groove. The defense is going to give up points so the offense has to score. Quickly and frequently. Time for the offense to shine...

Disagree. Hunt hasn't shown to be a consistent passer. Heck he even started URI poorly. He also is a different type of runner. More like RJ Anderson. That doesn't fit the option.
hunt could run inside back when we got defenders the hell out of the way. this year, no way. would've been a disaster.

I think Dungey could save Lester and Shafers job.

QB is not the problem for Shafer. It's the line play that has been really subpar. Hunt would not have done better.

QB is not the problem for Shafer. It's the line play that has been really subpar. Hunt would not have done better.
Actually their biggest problem is themselves. They play conservatively on offense when they should be aggressive and try to grind out wins when college football has proven that only works when you have Alabama style talent. On defense they have no clue how to stop a team that can either both pass and run or runs a spread system with a running qb, which is basically all of college football these days other than LSU apparently.

It doesn't matter who the players are... these weaknesses show up over and over and over.

The one thing I really, truly miss that Hunt brought to the table was his ability to get a yard or two in short yardage situations. We get it down to the 1-yard line, I'm going to be pretty confident that Hunt gets into the end zone.

Just sayin
The idea of someone thinking the team could be better off with Hunt astounds me. I am amazed that people's perspectives can be so different. Dungey is the most exciting thing about Syracuse football for me right now.

The idea of someone thinking the team could be better off with Hunt astounds me. I am amazed that people's perspectives can be so different. Dungey is the most exciting thing about Syracuse football for me right now.
Well, be astounded. First of all, the OP referred to the last two years and Dungey wasn't here last year. Secondly, it arguably would have been better for Dungey to RS. Maybe then, he might live to play four seasons.

I am a high on Sunshine as anybody. Eric has the most upside of any QB in a long long time, but he makes about 15 mistakes per game - no kidding about 15. For example, Lester said that last week 32 passes were called and he only threw 22. Vs USF he graded only 46% in read decisions.

Part of the success of the offense is Lester's system as witnessed by Mahoney's gutsy performance.

We would not have fared any worse in W-L with Hunt and possibly would have done a bit better. Dungey would have been red shirted and been even better next year with 4 more years of eligibility left. I would have preferred that scenario.

Well, be astounded. First of all, the OP referred to the last two years and Dungey wasn't here last year. Secondly, it arguably would have been better for Dungey to RS. Maybe then, he might live to play four seasons.

I am a high on Sunshine as anybody. Eric has the most upside of any QB in a long long time, but he makes about 15 mistakes per game - no kidding about 15. For example, Lester said that last week 32 passes were called and he only threw 22. Vs USF he graded only 46% in read decisions.

Part of the success of the offense is Lester's system as witnessed by Mahoney's gutsy performance.

We would not have fared any worse in W-L with Hunt and possibly would have done a bit better. Dungey would have been red shirted and been even better next year with 4 more years of eligibility left. I would have preferred that scenario.
If Dungey is as good this year as he will be in the future I doubt he would stay 4 more years.

I don't think the system was why we scored against LSU. I give Mahoney credit for that game but we didn't get a first down the 2nd half of the CMU game or in the 1st quarter against LSU. We did an excellent job competing against LSU but I wouldn't say that is proof of Lester's system. We looked awful against USF in the 1st half with Dungey.

I think the offense has improved big time this year but this year would be worse if Hunt didn't improve his passing skills if he were the starting QB vs. Dungey.

Alsacs said:
If Dungey is as good this year as he will be in the future I doubt he would stay 4 more years. I don't think the system was why we scored against LSU. I give Mahoney credit for that game but we didn't get a first down the 2nd half of the CMU game or in the 1st quarter against LSU. We did an excellent job competing against LSU but I wouldn't say that is proof of Lester's system. We looked awful against USF in the 1st half with Dungey. I think the offense has improved big time this year but this year would be worse if Hunt didn't improve his passing skills if he were the starting QB vs. Dungey.

If Dungey is good enough to go pro after his junior year, SU will win a minimum of 8 games that year.

I have watched Hunt make plenty of mistakes. He made at least two in his handful of plays this season; whatever, different perspectives.

Indeed. If I recall correctly, his very first pass of the season against URI was an extremely poorly thrown ball which resulted in a pick...

If Dungey is good enough to go pro after his junior year, SU will win a minimum of 8 games that year.
Not necessarily true.
Jake Locker, Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller, Jay Cutler, Josh Freeman all were taken in the first round and were under .500 for their college careers.

Just sayin
A QB needs to be able to pass in this offense. Not suitable for Hunt.
The program is better off with Dungy getting experience.

This is all fine and great talk about Dungey, BUT! If the coaches can't get it into Dungey's head that he needs to slide to protect himself when he runs the ball he is going to be the next SU QB DISQUALIFED FOR CONTACT SPORTS! Following AJ Long out the door!