Let's get real on the talent level here | Syracusefan.com

Let's get real on the talent level here

Don

2nd String
The decision to leave Dungey in when the game was over and the reason the coach gave for it is reason alone to fire him but common the team we played today had so much more talent on that field than we have its not even funny.
I think Clark and maybe Thompson and maybe Hudson even see the field for Louisville on defense and ishmael is the only player on offense that sees the field.
Other than that Riley Dixon and estime as a punt returner and that's it.
Louisville is not a peer program as some have claimed here and if you can honestly look past Shafer and his questionable coaching the one thing you look at and say damn we have a huge talent gap to make up.

Look at the play that Dungey got hurt on, the guy that hit him was a lineman who was closing on him and running with the speed of a linebacker, look at the lineman who ran the one interception down the sideline we have nobody like that. There dbs, looked like they were our receivers in many of the patterns.

I'm good with Shafer getting g canned but if you look with your eyes and be honest any coach that comes here has a huge talent gap to make up to step up in class that should be evident after today

Hey, doesn't help when you make your talent look bad. Kinda like not using the best RB up until 2 games ago?

I disagree ... I didn't see anyone one their team that was out of our league. FSU, yes. LVille, no.

Any guys look great when they are wide open and have holes to run though,

I disagree ... I didn't see anyone one their team that was out of our league. FSU, yes. LVille, no.

Any guys look great when they are wide open and have holes to run though,

Louisville is not a bunch of world beaters. They scheme to get open on offense and know what we are running in defense because there are no adjustments

The talent gap between SU and FSU is big. Not as big of a gap between SU and Louisville, but it's there.

The Ville's classes have been ranked at least 20 spots higher than SU the last three years. Ville's last class was top 30.

Pick 6 was THE killer. A frosh mistake - to be expected eventually. Woulda coulda shoulda? Yeah, but if we continue the drive and punch it in - it's 17-7. Then we get it to start the 3rd with potential mo and a possible 20-7 or even 24-7 lead. What talent gap would we be talking about then? Can't blame coaching for that. Although plenty of play calls are baffling to say the least.

But the much maligned d held quite nicely most of the 1st 1/2 even after the opening knife-meet-butter drive. This young team has plenty of promise on both d and o. Hope the marathon isn't turned into a sprint by force.

Yegorange said:
Pick 6 was THE killer. A frosh mistake - to be expected eventually. Woulda coulda shoulda? Yeah, but if we continue the drive and punch it in - it's 17-7. Then we get it to start the 3rd with potential mo and a possible 20-7 or even 24-7 lead. What talent gap would we be talking about then? Can't blame coaching for that. Although plenty of play calls are baffling to say the least. But the much maligned d held quite nicely most of the 1st 1/2 even after the opening knife-meet-butter drive. This young team has plenty of promise on both d and o. Hope the marathon isn't turned into a sprint by force.

But it didn't happen, just like it didn't happen against Virginia and Pitt.

Good players make defining plays. We're not there.

can we also be honest that dungey is in the ballpark of an average college QB, its just that we haven't had one in so long that we have anointed him as savior? the 3rd stringer from Louisville was a better thrower and it wasn't close.

orangehomer said:
can we also be honest that dungey is in the ballpark of an average college QB, its just that we haven't had one in so long that we have anointed him as savior? the 3rd stringer from Louisville was a better thrower and it wasn't close.

I'd love to see Dungey get to play against our D.

Would help if he had a better OL and also an inept OC.

orangehomer said:

Every QB we've faced the last six games has the edge over Dungey. Even the Wake and Central Michigan QBs were better.

But he has a bright future.

If he can stay on the field.

The talent is there - not to win the ACC, but to compete in. Considering recrutimg is still at the bottom of the league rankings-wise, that's quite an accomplishment in and of itself with the team as young as it is. But in game coaching is an issue. Hope Shafer is kept thru next season though. Still have faith in the overall culture he's installed.

The talent is there - not to win the ACC, but to compete in. Considering recrutimg is still at the bottom of the league rankings-wise, that's quite an accomplishment in and of itself with the team as young as it is. But in game coaching is an issue. Hope Shafer is kept thru next season though. Still have faith in the overall culture he's installed.
how can you say that, our defense is undersized and slow how can you say that we have the talent to compete in the ACC when we are getting run off the field every week?

I'm going to make a few unpopular opinion statements that will likely get flamed but I just need to get them off my chest & this thread seems like the right place. I'll preface them by saying that I bleed Orange & root my behind off for our guys each & every week. I also watch A LOT of CFB & feel that I do a good job of viewing things objectively.

Fredericks is our best RB. He's obv a TFrosh & flashed potential that I hope he fulfills. Taking the blocking/play calling out of the equation & looking strictly at his CURRENT overall skillset/physique, I honestly don't believe that he'd be starting for any other P5 team THIS YEAR. I'm also not sure that he'd crack the 2-deep at 95% of P5 schools. He's the level of player that even our peer schools would redshirt & would begin to make significant contributions as a RSoph. I believe his ceiling may be a mid-level ACC starter. This isn't meant to be a knock on him & I don't even like typing this...just my honest opinion. If he goes on to prove me wrong, there won't be anyone happier than myself.

With the exception of Dixon at Punter & Estime at PR, I don't think we have another 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team All-ACC player on our roster. Ish, Thompson, Cordy, or Franklin may end up sneaking into the 3rd team, but it will be strictly based on the selectors wanting to include an SU player rather than skill/production.

How is being at the bottom of anything considered an accomplishment?

i hope there is no one on this thread criticizing the talent level, and also on the recruiting thread side, slobbering over every kid that commits here, that and the number of stars debate. The axiom, Hindsight is 20/20, is reaffirmed on a daily basis, thread by thread on Syracusefan.com

If we're at the bottom of the recruiting rankings then how can you say the talent is there? On paper it's not there, on the field it's not there, how can you say it is when we have two wins over a power 5 team the past 2 years? Both of them against the only team worse than us, which is sadly debatable.

The coaching is bad and the talent is bad. This is a bad program at this point and it pretty much has to be torn down.

The decision to leave Dungey in when the game was over and the reason the coach gave for it is reason alone to fire him but common the team we played today had so much more talent on that field than we have its not even funny.
I think Clark and maybe Thompson and maybe Hudson even see the field for Louisville on defense and ishmael is the only player on offense that sees the field.
Other than that Riley Dixon and estime as a punt returner and that's it.
Louisville is not a peer program as some have claimed here and if you can honestly look past Shafer and his questionable coaching the one thing you look at and say damn we have a huge talent gap to make up.

Look at the play that Dungey got hurt on, the guy that hit him was a lineman who was closing on him and running with the speed of a linebacker, look at the lineman who ran the one interception down the sideline we have nobody like that. There dbs, looked like they were our receivers in many of the patterns.

I'm good with Shafer getting g canned but if you look with your eyes and be honest any coach that comes here has a huge talent gap to make up to step up in class that should be evident after today
To me the issue is lack of talent & production coming from the older classes left from the Marrone era. Where are the senior WR's that are left over from Marrone? Where are the senior RB's left over from the Marrone era? Do you think Nick Robinson & other upper classmen recruited by Marrone are going to the NFL? Are any Marrone recruits knocking it out of the park? Oh yeah let's start Austin Wilson at QB...that's what Marrone left Shafer.

Truth be told the cupboards were not exactly stacked with ACC talent for Shafer to build on. Last I heard we were getting 70% of offensive production from Freshmen.

Yes Shafer has made some in game mistakes, I get it, but it's not the case that he took over a team that was stacked with talent and blown it...talent level has been the real rebuilding exercise and we are finally getting those guys on the field.

HE IS A FRESHMAN. With a suspect offensive line.

We had Nassib 3 years ago, it hasn't been that long.

Ryan Nassib was an above average college QB and a 4th round pick. Remember how he looked as a redshirt freshman?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom