Let's just assume a change is made... | Syracusefan.com

Let's just assume a change is made...

JrodCuse

All Conference
is there any way possible to keep Shafer here as the DC? Or is that basically impossible due to all the headaches that would cause behind the scenes?

Too bad we can't have our cake and eat it too

Even if he wanted to he would be working for nothing. Anything he makes coaching is an offset against his current contract. Besides, he isn't going to do that anyway.

That would require someone with no ego whatsoever which is rare - and that's not a criticism of Shafer, I seriously doubt I could do it.

That would require someone with no ego whatsoever which is rare - and that's not a criticism of Shafer, I seriously doubt I could do it.

I don't even think that needs to matter.

If you bring in a new coach, and the previous coach still exists in house, especially one with as much loyalty and buy-in from the players as Shafer, it will divide the kids. They want to play for Shafer, and what he says is gospel to them. With the new guy coming in half the group believes in him, the other half still wants Shafer as their coach. The second turmoil occurs for the new guy, people will start backing Shafer in the locker room.

He can't be kept even if he wanted to stay. It's really that simple.

No. But he'll have a DC position very quickly. Hopefully not at a peer ACC school.

Why would he stay. In fact why would most of the staff stay? They are here now because of their relationship. You have three that were HCs in another division, Acosta, Lester and Adam. Nothing to keep them from looking for another HC spot if Shafer is fired. Would Daoust stay...probably not. So that would mean a new coach with new staff once again having to make in roads into recruiting areas...like NJ.

IF SU is able to attract a name HC or hot up and comer, one of the first caveats of that new HC will be the hiring of his own staff.

IF SU is able to attract a name HC or hot up and comer, one of the first caveats of that new HC will be the hiring of his own staff.
Yeah, I can't imagine not allowing a head coach to choose his own staff.

Why would he stay. In fact why would most of the staff stay? They are here now because of their relationship. You have three that were HCs in another division, Acosta, Lester and Adam. Nothing to keep them from looking for another HC spot if Shafer is fired. Would Daoust stay...probably not. So that would mean a new coach with new staff once again having to make in roads into recruiting areas...like NJ.
Not so sure about Doust. A new HC might want to scoop him up, maybe even as DC.

And then everyone would complain that they hired a guy with no DC experience.

I don't know, Doust was getting looks this past offseason as potential DC, we were all assuming he would be gone in the next year or two for that role, so keeping him as the DC doesn't seem entirely far fetched.

Yes this is a real question, I was asking if there was any way it was possible. I know it is a long shot but Shafer is a very very good DC. He is in a bit over his head as HC but as a DC there aren't many out there that have consistently done better than he has. If there were some crazy way to do it, I would take that shot, but I see all the thorns that could arise from that.

is there any way possible to keep Shafer here as the DC? Or is that basically impossible due to all the headaches that would cause behind the scenes?
GeorgeMcDonald.jpg

Says hi!

I don't think any credible HC candidate wants a coordinator forced on him.

Crusty said:
Not so sure about Doust. A new HC might want to scoop him up, maybe even as DC.
Or promote him to DC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom