Lets talk football some keys | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lets talk football some keys

I didnt realize that. What is the report that is based on?

PFF

Pass blocking
Berg
Vet
Cruz
Davis
Ellis
Bleich

Run blocking
Berg
Vet
Davis
Bleich
Cruz
Ellis

3 Keys to the Season:
  1. Offensive line being a consistently solid and cohesive group this year. If we can do that, we likely keep Shrader healthy all season and we haven't had a quarterback start every regular season game in a while.
  2. Cornerbacks on the outside stepping up. I'm concerned about the potential drop-off in play from last year. We lost a lot of talent to the draft and transfers. We've heard good things about Jeremiah Wilson but he isn't very big (will he stay healthy all season?) and largely inexperienced. We've brought in talented but essentially unproven transfers. We will need some inexperienced players to step into their role and play well. This could be the weak spot on our defense that gets exploited.
  3. A second receiving option emerging. Gadsden is a real talent but we need someone to keep the defense honest, whether that is a traditional tight end or a wide receiver. Isiah Jones was getting rave reviews last offseason before his season ending injury, but will he be that guy this year? Can Alford capitalize on his physical abilities and be a consistent threat, instead of just the occasional exceptional highlight? Is Hatcher, Adams, or Pena that guy? Will our traditional tight end role be an actual threat to catch the ball this year (Mang, Mahar, Villari, Clement) and will there be one who can actually block?

The honorable mention is LeQuint Allen's status but I do think we have some capable back-ups that will be serviceable. I'd much prefer LeQuint as the starter though.

Last edited:
I agree that we’ve taken the cornerback position for granted for several seasons. It has been the one constant bright spot despite the W-L fluctuations.

We haven’t heard much about the newcomers stepping up. That has me concerned.

I agree that we’ve taken the cornerback position for granted for several seasons. It has been the one constant bright spot despite the W-L fluctuations.

We haven’t heard much about the newcomers stepping up. That has me concerned.
Not going to hear anything useful about the newcomers until August practices. We have seen the two CBs at the top of the pre- August charts (Johnson and Wilson). Behind them we have 2 or 3 Rs-F, 3 transfers from other colleges, and 2 from jucos. Lots of candidates who will sort out in August

Stay patient.

PFF

Pass blocking
Berg
Vet
Cruz
Davis
Ellis
Bleich

Run blocking
Berg
Vet
Davis
Bleich
Cruz
Ellis
And Bleich is a pre-season ACC 1st team selection? There’s something missing here.

Anticipating an injury free season which I’m sure affected his play last year.
Seems like Chris and Dakota Davis couldn’t walk around their apartments without breaking or tearing something. Let’s bubble wrap this guy until season starts.

Anticipating an injury free season which I’m sure affected his play last year.
I'm hoping that Bradford and/or Illoa can chip in a few series here and there to keep him healthy for the whole year.

OLine and CB are key.

Will be interesting to see who steps up at RT. Reed to me is the frontrunner at C. I'll throw TE in here as well. The coaches cannot allow Mang to get Shrader killed again this season. See the last play of the Purdue game for evidence of this malpractice.

I don't see Wilson starting on the outside. He's a slot corner. The guy to watch in my opinion is Quan Peterson.

A TE that can block and be at least serviceable in catching the ball is huge. Teams have killed us with TEs for years while we struggle to find one who can do either skill at a decent level. We had a hard time finding even a big RB/OL dude who could make the blocks we needed in that spot.

I'll begin writing my preview August 1st but there is a preview of the preview:

We'll be good until our QB gets hurt. And our QB always gets hurt.

With the focus on LA as it should be i thought i would start a thread to get us back to ball and the keys for this fall. This will be random so here we go.

I'll start at the end. I think we win 8 in total including a bowl win and I think we beat Clemson.

Shrader is the key. Missing the Spring is tough as he needs to be on the same page with his receivers and with Beck. Not good but hopefully the surgery makes him a better passer. Other than the obvious I have a few key players this year. First up Stefon Thompson. Personally, I thought he was our most talented Front D player last year and I expect him to be a beast this season. Kid is a stud and is going to open eyes and make the league. Next up is Isaiah Johnson. He has NFL measurables and will be our next great SU DB. On O i think that Joe More is going to shine. I expect him to be a starter and excellent player. I'm not a coach but he has it and I believe he is going to end up being a super player for us. The German Bear Max is next on my list. He in my opinion comes into his own this year. He has only been playing ball for a few years and the transition to D1 football has to be unbelievably difficult. Still his measurables and athleticism is off the charts. Look for him to have a breakout year.
My last two are Jack S our new punter. According to my plane mate the kid destroys the ball. Punting is so important I think that Jack is going to light up the dome.
My last player is someone i believe holds the one of the major keys to us having a great O this year. Isiah Jones Based on my eye he is as talented is not more so than OG. Yes, more so as he has the size but also has the best hands on the team and speed.
Ok as I said a random post. One to get us onto something positive. Have at it and I hope that everyone is have a great weekend.

There are a lot of good players on this team this year. If we can enter the season healthy (for once!), we appear to have quite a bit more depth at a lot of positions than we have in the past.

I am optimistic about the coming season. Of course, losing LaQuint Allen would really hurt the team's prospects. Seems like we lost Duce Chestnut specifically because of happenings the same evening.

We are pretty close to being an 8 win team again. Tough stretch in the schedule. Moving a home game to NYC for money? Eh, I was kind of hoping we were past having to do that as a program. Seems like we might be giving away a win there.

We need to have our key guys stay healthy this year. We need an 8 man OL to emerge from among all those new guys. I think we have a lot of talent & experience on the D Line now, and also at LB. If the transfers work out in the defensive backfield, this could be a hell of a defense, even with the losses and transfers.

Shrader, of course, needs to remain healthy. He's the key to everything. The back-ups are getting better, talent-wise, but losing Lamson was losing a guy who has practiced this offense for a couple years already. So we lost experience in the QB room, but maybe gained a couple better athletes who are dual threats, which is what we need.

I think a couple WRs will emerge to go with Gadson. I hope we use a TE this year more than we usually do. I think our punter will be better.

Getting excited about this upcoming season.

OL - Heatly Bleich will make a world of difference and we need LT to not drop off
Health - We will have some injuries but can't afford last season list
New Coaches - Interesting to see how they all gel and what the product looks like

If those three things all go well we might have another magical season like 2018

Three other things to watch for
Secondary - New faces but I have a feeling it might be deeper and maybe better
WR corp - Need some kids to step up.
Special Teams - New punter and kicker, I think we improve overall

Bonus
Penalties - Really need to figure this out this year

I just want a fun season that can get us into the 8 - 10 win range with a pretty good bowl game but I'll settle for another bowl trip.

OL - Heatly Bleich will make a world of difference and we need LT to not drop off
Health - We will have some injuries but can't afford last season list
New Coaches - Interesting to see how they all gel and what the product looks like

If those three things all go well we might have another magical season like 2018

Three other things to watch for
Secondary - New faces but I have a feeling it might be deeper and maybe better
WR corp - Need some kids to step up.
Special Teams - New punter and kicker, I think we improve overall

Bonus
Penalties - Really need to figure this out this year

I just want a fun season that can get us into the 8 - 10 win range with a pretty good bowl game but I'll settle for another bowl trip.
Procedure penalties need to stop.

I think that our wr room is strong. As i posted i really like Jones. Og. Alford, Pena Brown, Hatcher all have an opportunity to break out.
If on of the TEs becomes a receiving threat watch out.
We desperately need some pass protection this year. If we are serviceable here watch out. Especially if we have Allen out of the backfield and a TE emerges as a pass catching threat.

We desperately need some pass protection this year. If we are serviceable here watch out. Especially if we have Allen out of the backfield and a TE emerges as a pass catching threat.
Yes sir. I believe our wr group comes together this year. Im a broken record on this but a healthy Jones coupled with Gadson and Alford is as big and athletic a group as we have had in a very long time. Pena Hatcher Brown... and others as well.
Question, do you think we utilize the TE this year as a primary part of the O? If so which player's step up?

Yes sir. I believe our wr group comes together this year. Im a broken record on this but a healthy Jones coupled with Gadson and Alford is as big and athletic a group as we have had in a very long time. Pena Hatcher Brown... and others as well.
Question, do you think we utilize the TE this year as a primary part of the O? If so which player's step up?
need the oline to be better in pass protection so the TE can actually get out to catch passes more often.

I think the new OL coach is definitely more known for his teams being good as pass pro.
Historically, this has been true for Farmer. His lines at several stops were generally very good at not giving up sacks. Last season at Tulsa, his OL gave up 45 sacks, the fourth-worst total in the country, and averaged 3.9 yards per rush. Just pointing out the data here. Let's hope last season was an anomaly. I think it is reasonable to assume that we will be better at pass pro under Farmer.

We better be because any key for the season starts with the OL.

I think the new OL coach is definitely more known for his teams being good as pass pro.
Agree on this. His OLs have done really well pass blocking historically. They have been okay run blocking.

Cruz has higher grades for pass blocking than run blocking.

Best case scenario, our new RB is inexperienced and better at catching it than running it.

I know More had better PFF numbers run blocking than Bleich or Davis. Not sure how meaningful this is playing at a different level and not sure what More’s pass blocking PFF numbers were. Guessing he will struggle adjusting to some of the ACC pass rushers. Players on teams like FSU, Clemson and Pitt tend to have some of the best pass rushers In the country. It is going to be tough for him.

Wohlabaugh has at least played some against top notch competition and is an option if More can’t handle the job.

Agree on this. His OLs have done really well pass blocking historically. They have been okay run blocking.

Best case scenario, our new RB is inexperienced and better at catching it than running it.

I know More had better PFF numbers run blocking than Bleich or Davis. Not sure how meaningful this is playing at a different level and not sure what More’s pass blocking PFF numbers were. Guessing he will struggle adjusting to some of the ACC pass rushers. Players on teams like FSU, Clemson and Pitt tend to have some of the best pass rushers In the country. It is going to be tough for him.

Wohlabaugh has at least played some against top notch competition and is an option if More can’t handle the job.
And it's hard to say how relevant Bleich's numbers were given we know he played hurt. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year.

Thing that worries me about More is that on a team at a lower level he was 4th among the starting OL in run blocking and 5th in pass blocking. No bueno. He should fit right in though since he led the offense in penalties. ;)