"Likes" have ruined the board | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

"Likes" have ruined the board

OrangeTarheel said:
Wow, that's interesting. I wondered what a "Don't Like" button would be like on this board. Never thought of the consequences.

The mods have a "Don't Like" button. It's labeled "delete".

MGoBlog got rid of likes and their board went to hell.

This is the first time we have had likes though, no?? The previous versions were always fine. Didn't we have a system before where you could "rate" the post with stars or something?

I used to just write 'Like' after a post I liked, so I should get credit for all of this!!!! I used to also just write 'Unlike' after Albany posted.

Anyway, long story short, in a roundabout way, I am your GOD!!!!

(That's a creation myth - I never really posted 'Like' after a post)

Please dawgg. We dont have the mentality that the one board is better than the other like some people on the fball side do. You dont post on this side because you dont care too and love fball side much more. Are you even a bball fan?

Umm, what? I guess I should have included my resume when I posted a "joke".

Attended my first BB game in middle school. Until this year, when I've been unable to, have watched almost every single game each season including exhibition games and I watch from start to finish. I hope that is satisfactory to you.

qdawgg said:
Umm, what? I guess I should have included my resume when I posted a "joke". Attended my first BB game in middle school. Until this year, when I've been unable to, have watched almost every single game each season including exhibition games and I watch from start to finish. I hope that is satisfactory to you.

And you never post on the bball side...

f1858b20edded0044a0f6a706700d379.jpg

And you never post on the bball side...

Oh no the horror. I can't possibly be a real SU fan because I read the BB board but rarely post. Maybe because I post a joke and someone acts like a douchebag.

I think "likes" are both good and bad. Whether you're a 5 year old getting a gold star from your kindergarten teacher for a picture you drew, or an adult making a post on here, it's fun to have people tell you that you did a good job. But they tend to encourage people to sometimes make over-the-top positive thoughts and encourage major group-think.

I think there is virtually no correlation between the quality of a poster and number of likes they have. I know for a fact there are some posters that add more value to the board than I do (i.e. SWC's great historical analyses and upside/downside) and have fewer likes.

Look I enjoy getting likes. Its good to know people like my post or agree with it enough to acknowledge it with a like. Its feedback IMO and anytime you increase feedback (esp positive) you will increase posting and traffic. So its good in that sense I suppose. I give out a lot of likes because there are a lot of posters who post good stuff, or funny stuff, or informative stuff and even good stuff I don't agree with that starts good back and forth.

I wouldn't want the like function taken away. I'm not sure how many I have without looking but I know Its quite a few although for me its more of a feedback interaction thing.

I think "likes" are both good and bad. Whether you're a 5 year old getting a gold star from your kindergarten teacher for a picture you drew, or an adult making a post on here, it's fun to have people tell you that you did a good job. But they tend to encourage people to sometimes make over-the-top positive thoughts and encourage major group-think.

I think there is virtually no correlation between the quality of a poster and number of likes they have. I know for a fact there are some posters that add more value to the board than I do (i.e. SWC's great historical analyses and upside/downside) and have fewer likes.
Then it's settled.
Happy stickers for everyone!

You are absolutely right about that.

hey i don't really pay them much mind. set me to zero tomorrow. who cares. but :

if someone happens to post the exact same thing i was thinking and saves me all the typing : like
if someone spends some of their own time researching and crunching some data and making a point : like
if someone makes me laugh out loud : like

the like does indeed have its' place on a message board . just as much so as the ignore button. it's filter and reward.

there has been a noticeable change. almost since my first post on this board, I had a post-to-like ratio of roughly 2 to 1. Since last fall, that gap has steadily narrowed and it has really gained speed since the first of the year. I hit parity last week and now I'm upside down by over 100. It's as if the Central Like Bank has decided to aggressively pursue quantitative easing.

Likes used to be solid gold, now they are as valuable as an Argentine peso.

I belong to a couple other forums that don't have the "like" option. I think it has plus' and minus'. The discussion is definitely more focused but it can be a little stale. It's not uncommon for me to bust out laughing at something posted here where in the other forums I don't think I've ever lol'd.

i give you a like for "quantitative easing" . also agree with the frequency kenneth. i've always hovered about 5:1. not liked sometimes loathed.

As I'd said in a previous post, getting ready of 'likes' (or posbangs as they called them) has destroyed the MGoBlog board. Obviously there was same type of whoring out for them, but it really did provide some sort of incentive for good posts and encouraged an actual congenial atmosphere. It was replaced with a rating system where you could rate everyone's posts and with so many negative ratings the post would be hidden.

This basically just inspired a groupthink environment where anyone that posted something that disagreed with the majority of the board would get hidden. It's one of the reasons I stopped even going there. I posted a perspective on the SU-UofM Final Four game last year and it was brutal.

It's gotten so bad to the point that Brian Cook, the site's owner, flipped out in spectacular fashion after the Ohio State game about the board.

mgoblog ‏@mgoblog
This whole season has been 50% nightmare team, 50% nightmare community. I can fix half of that.
That sounds similar to some of the other boards I've frequented, where they have "karma" that can be doled out. You can like or dislike a post, and if someone gets to +500 or whatever, they are viewed as a great poster and people will pretty much blindly give them a like on anything they post. If they get into negative karma, for whatever reason, people don't pay any attention to anything they have to say, even though they might be saying something really thought provoking and well said. It encourages people to decide what they think of a poster before they actually read for themselves. As you said, it's total groupthink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom