Lincoln Riley | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lincoln Riley

Hoke is a meathead
We have some fans that would love that.

What makes you think he's a terrible coach? He's had a winning record every stop in his career, and turned powers like Ball State and San Diego State in to competitive teams. Michigan turned out to be too big for him. Doesn't mean he couldn't succeed here.

We have some fans that would love that.

What makes you think he's a terrible coach? He's had a winning record every stop in his career, and turned powers like Ball State and San Diego State in to competitive teams. Michigan turned out to be too big for him. Doesn't mean he couldn't succeed here.

Watching Michigan the past 3 years, seeing how big of a difference in wins the team has made from last year to this year.

He's not a sexy candidate and I have no idea what his offensive philosophy is, but Pete Lembo is a solid coach who has won everywhere he has been. Currently makes about 500k at Ball State.

He's not a s e xy candidate and I have no idea what his offensive philosophy is, but Pete Lembo is a solid coach who has won everywhere he has been. Currently makes about 500k at Ball State.
I'm too sexy for Pete Lembo

He's a good young coach, but I would prefer that we go with someone who has HC experience. We need to get someone that knows how to run a program and gets what it takes to win at a place like Syracuse and won't be on the job training for it. I'd like to go with someone that has East Coast ties where we used to do so well in recruiting. And obviously I'd love it if this could be that persons destination job or be here for 6-10 years. I'd rather go with the better fit than the bigger splash.

Or at least someone with big binders and preferably lots of them

:D

OttoinGrotto said:
We have some fans that would love that. What makes you think he's a terrible coach? He's had a winning record every stop in his career, and turned powers like Ball State and San Diego State in to competitive teams. Michigan turned out to be too big for him. Doesn't mean he couldn't succeed here.
no

Riley is one of the few OC's you gamble on to be the head guy.

I still like Matt Campbell. I'll be closely watching their stretch run here. Northern Illinois tomorrow night, followed by Central Michigan, Bowling Green and Western Michigan.

Here would be my list to interview:

Offensive Coordinators:

Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma
Scott Frost - Oregon
Mike Norvell - Arizona State

Coaches:

Justin Fuente - Memphis
Matt Rhule - Temple
Dino Babers - Bowling Green
Tom Herman - Houston
Chad Morris - SMU
Philip Montgomery - Tulsa
Bryan Harsin - Boise
Matt Campbell - Toledo

phil77 said:
Here would be my list to interview: Offensive Coordinators: Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma Scott Frost - Oregon Mike Norvell - Arizona State Coaches: Justin Fuente - Memphis Matt Rhule - Temple Dino Babers - Bowling Green Tom Herman - Houston Chad Morris - SMU Philip Montgomery - Tulsa Bryan Harsin - Boise Matt Campbell - Toledo

That's a good list.

He's not a s e xy candidate and I have no idea what his offensive philosophy is, but Pete Lembo is a solid coach who has won everywhere he has been. Currently makes about 500k at Ball State.

Lembo went 5-7 last season and is currently 3-6.

Here would be my list to interview:

Offensive Coordinators:

Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma
Scott Frost - Oregon Norvell - Arizona State

Coaches:

Justin Fuente - Memphis
Matt Rhule - Temple
Dino Babers - Bowling Green
Tom Herman - Houston
Chad Morris - SMU
Philip Montgomery - Tulsa
Bryan Harsin - Boise
Matt Campbell - Toledo
matt rhule is a good coach but he's not the coach we need.

i'm skeptical of MAC coaches unless they worked for someone before they proved they can do it in the MAC

not against a MAC coach but I want to know they come from a good tree.

throw the AAC in there too. i knock fuente, campbell and rhule down that list for us because of that. harsin is an obvious candidate but i'd pass.

matt rhule is a good coach but he's not the coach we need.

i'm skeptical of MAC coaches unless they worked for someone before they proved they can do it in the MAC

not against a MAC coach but I want to know they come from a good tree.

throw the AAC in there too. i knock fuente, campbell and rhule down that list for us because of that. harsin is an obvious candidate but i'd pass.

I think we should interview all the "hot" coaches. Doesn't mean we have to hire them but perception would be that this top coaches are interested in Syracuse job which might be some positive press for us and the football program. I don't want Rhule to be our head coach. I think I stated multiple times Fuente would be my number 1 choice but that doesn't mean I wouldn't interview Rhule.

I think we should interview all the "hot" coaches. Doesn't mean we have to hire them but perception would be that this top coaches are interested in Syracuse job which might be some positive press for us and the football program. I don't want Rhule to be our head coach. I think I stated multiple times Fuente would be my number 1 choice but that doesn't mean I wouldn't interview Rhule.
oh i agree. it's a good list that got me thinking.

if i were AD i'd want to hear everyone's opinion

I think we should interview all the "hot" coaches. Doesn't mean we have to hire them but perception would be that this top coaches are interested in Syracuse job which might be some positive press for us and the football program.

I don't think there would be enough interest on the coaches' side to do that. You can't just say "interview Fuente, Rhule, Campbell, Riley, etc." Why would Fuente consider SU when his name is being mentioned at S. Carolina? Let's just interview Urban Meyer while we're at it. If we can fit him into our schedule, I mean.

I don't think there would be enough interest on the coaches' side to do that. You can't just say "interview Fuente, Rhule, Campbell, Riley, etc." Why would Fuente consider SU when his name is being mentioned at S. Carolina? Let's just interview Urban Meyer while we're at it. If we can fit him into our schedule, I mean.
because he might not get S Carolina

Marrone, McElwain (at CSU, not UF), Narduzzi - none had HC experience prior to making their mark as far as I know. I'd be all for Lincoln Riley or Scott Frost.

Right because moving from Ohio State to Syracuse is the same as moving from Memphis to Syracuse. Who says he will get the South Carolina job?

Babers is a solid option, him Fleck. If they could some how pull off getting Rhule, I would take him, but at this point I think he'll get a better offer

Look at a team like Cincy and look at their last 4 coaches, Dantonio, Kelly, Jones, and now Tuberville, all had head coaching experience before, why can we not attract a good young HC

Look at a team like Cincy and look at their last 4 coaches, Dantonio, Kelly, Jones, and now Tuberville, all had head coaching experience before, why can we not attract a good young HC

I'd take Tuberville.